Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1894 marlin in .357 mag

Default LEVERolution

Hornady came out with some new ammo for lever guns that is pretty hot. Comes in .357, .44mag, and 30-30.
    I ran some .357 in my 4" S&W and it was a bit uncomfortable. The 30-30 runs great in the Marlin though.

357 Mag 140 gr FTX® LEVERevolution

I've killed a mule deer with a Ruger Blackhawk .357 at about 60 yards, 158 gr. soft nose worked fine, one shot kill. I used to have a Marlin .357 rifle, still regret trading it off. A fun gun, I'd like to get another one someday. It's a good rifle and should be fine for the little deer you have in TX and even for the hogs with 158 or 180 gr bullets out to 150 yards or so.
    That said, if you're going to buy a rifle, why not buy one in a rifle calibre? As good as the Marlin .357 is, the Marlin .30-30 is so much better. If you're going to use a rifle because a pistol is inadequate, why handicap yourself with a rifle shooting pistol ammunition?
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

Quote Originally Posted by EdD270 View Post
    I've killed a mule deer with a Ruger Blackhawk .357 at about 60 yards, 158 gr. soft nose worked fine, one shot kill. I used to have a Marlin .357 rifle, still regret trading it off. A fun gun, I'd like to get another one someday. It's a good rifle and should be fine for the little deer you have in TX and even for the hogs with 158 or 180 gr bullets out to 150 yards or so.
    That said, if you're going to buy a rifle, why not buy one in a rifle calibre? As good as the Marlin .357 is, the Marlin .30-30 is so much better. If you're going to use a rifle because a pistol is inadequate, why handicap yourself with a rifle shooting pistol ammunition?
    I have to agree with your logic....and I see it all the time....."I needing a new rifle (?) so I thinking a pistol caliber?" (WHY.....They come is all kinds of calibers)

I no longer question the logic, because '94 in .357 or .44 mag is cool, and I don't have one....so that means I might be needing one as well, LOL.
    I don't own a 30-30 either.

If I'm getting down to some serious hunting, I will take the best suited tool I own, my tastes tend to run a tad larger,..... I want a caliber that when I see something and deside I'm pulling the trigger....I want it to fall over right there...getting too old to chase stuff.

I'm kinda lusting on the Henry 'Big Boy" in .44 mag, my self.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I'm not buying a rifle, i own the marlin and also a 94 in 30-30. A few other rifles and shotguns as well. I bought the .357 just because I own the blackhawk. I'm really just trying to find more of a use for this rifle, I like the way it cycles and feels more than I do my winchester. It's time it gets used more!

I used a 158 gr. semi jacketed hollow point from monarch on a hog last nite and it did the job, I didn't like the penetration I got so it's time to go get some new ammo I'm happy with it so far, 2 skunks, 1 coyote and a hog, I think it'll do..... i'll let ya now if I change my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I have to agree with your logic....and I see it all the time....."I needing a new rifle (?) so I thinking a pistol caliber?" (WHY.....They come is all kinds of calibers)

I no longer question the logic, because '94 in .357 or .44 mag is cool, and I don't have one....so that means I might be needing one as well, LOL.
    I don't own a 30-30 either.

If I'm getting down to some serious hunting, I will take the best suited tool I own, my tastes tend to run a tad larger,..... I want a caliber that when I see something and deside I'm pulling the trigger....I want it to fall over right there...getting too old to chase stuff.

I'm kinda lusting on the Henry 'Big Boy" in .44 mag, my self.
    LOL...I've really enjoyed shooting a .44 mag levergun.......with cowboy loads! It's great for plinking!
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"