Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toxic Light bulbs?

Default Toxic Light bulbs?

The following video was news to me. I did not realize some of the consequences of these "Green" Light bulbs. I was unaware that they were toxic, required special handling or disposal. Also I was unaware that there was a law requiring them and only them to be used by 2014.

Due to this, I am truly concerned. You see I have broken one and just cleaned it up as I would any other bulb. Now I find out that I may have poisoned myself and family (Pets are of a secondary concern)! What other laws are also putting myself My family, and the environment at risk?

Green? I don't think so.......

Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Welcome to our green world.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Welcome to our green world.
    But that's just the point... our "Green World" is NOT all that it is portrayed to be. Matter of fact this is only "Green" if you are colorblind. This Green is actually "Red" (in more ways than one).
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

Yep. Unfortunately it didn't get the coverage it deserved during the debate over it. Very few networks along with talk radio were covering the possible unintended consequences. Heck, one of the sponsors, Senator John McCain was doing an interview and the interviewer said something about how we were soon approaching the time when we would not be able to buy incandescent bulbs. Mind you, this was a year or two after the legislation became law. His response was (paraphrasing) what are you talking about? That wasn't in the bill. ---- It most certainly was. In addition to the potential harm to out environment, the plants that make incandescent bulbs are shutting down, putting people out of work. The new plants that are making the CFL' are opining in other countries. Yep - great law they passed. "Green" street lights that were switched over to LED's (by law) in northern climates are finding that the snow does not melt off the traffic signals the way it did. OOOPS.

I'm not against using CFL's - I am against not having a choice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Coal plants also release quite a bit of mercury. So theoretically, by using a swirly lightbulb, you use less coal energy, and therefore release less mercury in the end.

I dont understand why they cant make them without mercury though.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

It's amazing how many people do not know those curly bulbs shouldn't go in the trash.
    Or if you break them, it's just as bad as breaking a florescent tube.
    They don't work well in the cold.
    Even with the spectra available, I hate the light that comes out of them.

We have a collection box at work where people can bring their dead ones. Not broken ones though. It would take a homeowner forever to fill a collection box, so I'm guessing they are going in the trash.
    Yay for "green"
    Last edited by LowKey; 01-15-2011 at 05:04 PM.

I use them in my outdoor light and it works just fine in the cold. It's been down to 0 this year and still have light.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I use them in my outdoor light and it works just fine in the cold. It's been down to 0 this year and still have light.
    I havnt had the same luck with them Rick. The only thing they have going for them IMO is that the generator up at camp doesnt have to work so hard running the lights.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." - Albert Einstein

Outdoors in cold weather. They do turn on but it takes them longer to get up to full power than in the summer. If you are just going out to the truck for something you pretty much have to bring a flashlight.

Man, I don't know what you guys are using. The ones I have are just fine. Nice bright light. I'll go get the package and see what they are. I just grab whatever to be honest.

Both of them are out of the package. I think they were G.E. but they are 13W for sure.

Mine were cheap (relatively speaking.) Bulk purchase online.
    Maxlite 20w (75watt equivalent).

Got mine from Wally World. In cold weather it might as well be a candle, until it warms up. When working properly they are 100W or 150W equivalent. But until they are warmed up they are junk. Good for electric bill, but otherwise trash... oops I mean recycle bin.

And just who got rich on this green scheme??? Can you say algore? Yep he was the head pusher. Now why wouldn't they have pushed for LED home lighting? It uses less energy, lasts at least 10X longer and is NOT toxic. Doesn't that make it greener than the CFLs?
    I know what hunts you.

I converted my entire home to include floodlights...I am switching back....nough said!
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

You can use L.E.D.s if you want, Sarky or halogen or fluorescent. You just can't use incandescent. The only thing the law stipulates is that lighting has to be 25% more efficient. It does not mandate what has to be used. In fact, incandescent can be used if manufacturing can design one that is 25% more efficient. And there are tons of exclusions. Traffic signals, 3 way bulbs, showcase and signage, rough service (trouble lamp), plant lights, and appliance lamps are just a few that can remain incandescent. Look for section 321 if you want to read all the goodies on light bulbs. It's the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007.

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...:h6enr.txt.pdf

I got pissed a couple years ago. There was this whole earthday or something push for these bulbs, sponsored by GE (a manufacturer of them) all these local media outlets around here did stories pushing their use, places were giving them away for free. Not a one of them mentioned you shouldn't throw them away, not a one of them offered recycling for them. I sent them all letters.

It is nice that now places like home depot and lowes offer recycling.

Anyways, the future hopefully is going to be in LED Bulbs (for home use anyways) use even less electricity, last even longer, and no mercury. These CFLs will just be transitory. The LED technology just needs to keep getting better.

You can buy all kinds of LEDs for home use at Wal-Mart. But they aren't cheap.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunmia-120...i_sku=14472542

But then neither were the CFL's. Cost me about twice as much as an incandescent bulb, but lasted so much longer... I figured it was worth it in the long run. BTW I didn't know that either fluorescent bulbs or CFL's required special handling/disposal UNTIL I saw that video. I've been just throwing them in the trash as most people(I know of anyway) do.... That is one thing that upsets me so much. "Oh Here You have to buy these bulbs but we won't tell you about the danger they pose"
    I know this, I've bought my last CFL's. Good thing it was only 6 of them I bought.... 2 of which were broken on accident (without knowing the danger posed) and disposed of in the trash.

They also don't light up a room.

Last time I bought one was a year ago... the size of a 60 watt incandescent bulb, the light of a night light. Actually, maybe less than a night light.

The technology just isn't quite there yet.