Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fireworks.....for defense.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default Fireworks.....for defense.

Could some fireworks be used for defense in discouraging trespass and hold looters at bay. I am thinking cherry bomb or M-80 and could a large slingshot launch them.....?

yes
    fireworks would probably scare people away

you can also modify them and make them bigger

I have a few M80's in my pack and a few smoke bombs. M80's will cause fish to be stunned and surface if trapped in small pools. Smoke bombs are good to force out injured animals from hollows.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post
    yes
    fireworks would probably scare people away

you can also modify them and make them bigger

I do NOT want to build any bombs, or be in possession of anything illegal. But Fireworks are legal here. I just have had nothing to do with them in 50 years. When I was young there was cherry bombs, and commercial fisherman use seal bombs. I don't know what is even available today that is legal. It just seems like a goooder plan to scare people away, rather than having bodies leaking all over the driveway, and stinking the place up........not to mention the bears they would attract.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    I have a few M80's in my pack and a few smoke bombs. M80's will cause fish to be stunned and surface if trapped in small pools. Smoke bombs are good to force out injured animals from hollows.

How far could you throw a M-80.......? and do you think the fuse would stay lit if launched from a slingshot.....????
    Last edited by Sourdough; 06-13-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Blog Entries

I don't believe that M-80s are legal anywhere in the US under federal law. Not sure, but I believe I read that somewhere.

I don't think fireworks would have any deterent effect. Not on me, anyway.

I know you said that you don't want to build any bombs, and that's good, because they're illegal. However, there are, shall we say, alternatives that can be just as effective. I just don't think the forum rules allow us to post about recipes for things like napalm or incendiaries or things that make real bad vapors or stuff like that.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

There ARE some bean-like fireworks I've heard about from my grandpaw and the only man ALIVE that could expound on that just might be Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    How far could you throw a M-80.......? and do you think the fuse would stay lit if launched from a slingshot.....????
    Didn't mean to mislead but Ken is right...the M80 was available to me as a child but isn't as an adult. What I have is "legal" M80's they go by a different name...not sure what it is. The wick is waterproof and very substantial. I think it would stay burning in a sling shot but from lighting to shooting would be a hurried lucky shot. To me there is definately an audible difference in a firework and a firearm. Kinda like the audible difference in a hit and a miss with a firearm. I listen for the impact.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

[QUOTE=COWBOYSURVIVAL;227710 Kinda like the audible difference in a hit and a miss with a firearm. I listen for the impact.[/QUOTE]

Rick,where you at? We need you to clarify.

B,

I think it was a phosecious question...My thinking is in terms of survival. No one talking about making bombs. Sure am glad I don't live in NY, it has affected your thinking! LOL! Hope you see the humor in that. We have too much fun down south.

I'll clarify...I have never been in a gun fight and don't plan on it. I remove myself from bad situations. In regards to listening for the "hit" I do it legally in my deer stand and often ask for the meat from the kill! No miscreant here. I can tell you whirlzzz sound a bullet makes too! That is not good if your hearing that!

Another clarification...."legal red fireworks sold everywhere" are kids toys...just sayin'
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 06-13-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Default From Newbie NumbNuts in NYC...

Could some fireworks be used for defense in discouraging trespass and hold looters at bay. I am thinking cherry bomb or M-80 and could a large slingshot launch them.....?
    Just axing...
    So when the fire works get fizzled out, say in the next hour or so, what then?
    The trespassers just wait it out, file their nails and wait. What's the next step?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Just axing...
    The trespassers just wait it out, file their nails and wait. What's the next step?

Just Kill them, and drag them to the river, for disposal. The object is to save the fuel spent dragging them to the river.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Just axing...
    Ahhh! Benesse, I apologize if I said anything wrong. Your exactly right his scenario is not practical at all. I understand things are much different in NYC. I didn't mean anything towards you! I happen to think alot of you and your posts. Just there is no place for me NYC. It'd be like the Crocodile Dundee movie!!! Please smile!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Here they sell "Mortars" that shake the earth when they detonate, and if I was looking for easy pickings and someone Dropped one of those babies nearby, I would loot elsewhere. Do a search of "Gorilla Fireworks Alaska"

I think mortars, which are legal, at least to sell, at least in some states, would work great. In fact, if you aim well enough they could more than deter some folks.

They remind me of a rocket launched phosporous grenade.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Your exactly right his scenario is not practical at all. !

Why do you say that.....? I am on a Mountain, and my cabin overlooks the start of my 3/8 mile driveway. The cabin is about 125 yards from the start of the driveway, and I can see if someone stops, and starts up the mountain. I would rather discourage them there than at the cabin door.

Why do you say that.....? I am on a Mountain, and my cabin overlooks the start of my 3/8 mile driveway. The cabin is about 125 yards from the start of the driveway, and I can see if someone stops, and starts up the mountain. I would rather discourage them there than at the cabin door.
    I say it because "I" would know the difference in an actual threat and a staged movie threat. Not that your miscreants would...that would depend on their level of knowledge. It would certainly get someones attention. I have a large property too. Suppose they are armed and mean an actual threat, all along your playing with fireworks? I have seen miscreants walk the road, looking into my property for things of value. I have no issue firing into the wood pile to make my point. There is a "threat" and then there is a "real threat". I think for most you'd be exhibiting your reluctance to actually protect yourself. Kinda like 2 guys bumping chests. Not for me if I am threatened I react with a full vengeance immediately. We don't have to agree but it serves me well.
    Last edited by COWBOYSURVIVAL; 06-13-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Blog Entries

What's wrong with one of these?

http://www.selstarfireworks.co.uk/Rockets-Fireworks.htm

I reckon you could take out a few bad guys with one of these set at the right angle.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I don't believe that M-80s are legal anywhere in the US under federal law. Not sure, but I believe I read that somewhere.

I don't think fireworks would have any deterent effect. Not on me, anyway.

I know you said that you don't want to build any bombs, and that's good, because they're illegal. However, there are, shall we say, alternatives that can be just as effective. I just don't think the forum rules allow us to post about recipes for things like napalm or incendiaries or things that make real bad vapors or stuff like that.
    you can buy wahat they call m-80s all day long here from the reservations, But they are not "Real" m-80s,,,, they are maybe 3 times a regular black cat firecracker,, not the kind that will stun fish. they cost 1.50 each, but like i say, They are not old school m-80s.