Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: .410??

Okay, sorry. I thought he was referencing a new site.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    Nell, if you desire, you can get a gage reducer to shoot .410 as well as other calibers from the 20 gage. Look at this web site and see how many calibers you can shoot from that 20 gage. www.mcace.com

I usually use the "Inserts," rather than the adaptors, but I do have many of both and use depending on the situation or application. The .410 actually patterns well from a 20 gage. The rifle calibers also shoot well and accurate from the 20 gage.
    OGL,
    What would you recommend for my HR .410 to fire .22 LR? I was eyeing the 18" insert I could not make head or tails of offset plug? Looking at your link.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

I have to agree that the .410 is minimally adequate for deer. However, if your health prevents you from using anything else, I suggest you go with the slug rather than buckshot, and the heavier slug you can find, the better. It should be good for deer out to 75-100 yards, just like a handgun, if you can hit what you aim at, and wait for a standing broadside shot. A modified choke will give better accuracy with slugs than a full choke.
    A deer's vital area is about 8" so get an 8" paperplate and mark a spot in it's middle to aim at. Any range you can hit that, with no misses at all, from a variety of field positions is in range for deer.
    Try to get a 20 ga. if you can, it's so much better for many reasons and purposes.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~

I ended up with the .410/.22 when I went back to the dealer to see if he could get the other 2 availabel barrels for this stock,and found out that the paired set he gave me were actually on layaway by another customer.....he is looking into pricing on the other barrels,but I have not heard back from him.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Not to worry Nell67, that .410 is perfectly viable for deer to 50 yards with slugs as well as self defense with the Buckshot to about 25. The .22 barrel makes it great for small game, all the extra barrels get to be a lot to keep track of. I have a Rossi .410/.22 for my daughter, an HR 20/.243 for my son, and an HR 12/30-30 for myself. I love singles!