Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .410??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1 View Post
    I've never had a problem using my .410 for deer. Don't use buck shot use slugs!!! I only shoot neck shots.
    Hey shiftyer, didn't see an intro, why not give us one?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyer1
    I've never had a problem using my .410 for deer. Don't use buck shot use slugs!!! I only shoot neck shots.
    Why??...............
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We gave our grandsons Rossi Combos in .410/.22 and 20 ga/.22 last year. Wonderful guns. I use a, 870 in .410 for hunting small game and varmints because my shoulders can't handle the impact of a larger shotgun. I don't intend on taking deer with it though. As stated in another thread, I use my 870 in 12 ga for home defense with just a pistol grip.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If you people can guarentee head or neck shots with a .410 smoothbore you are in the top 1% of the worlds' sharpshooters!

You are not going to be able to call your shots at anything past 5 yards with a .410 slug from a full choke barrel. You are not talking about a Hastings rifle barrel with scope and 12 ga sabbot-slugs. We are discussing the absolute worst legal gun/ammo combination one can take into the deer woods.

What one can or has gotten away with is not the point. There are folks out there that have robbed more than one bank and broken the speed laws a time or two. That does not mean everyone needs to do those things. I am seeing more and more posts about people killing deer with .177 pellet rifles these days. That does not mean I am going to promote it, or even believe it.

And that comment on finishing off the deer with the .22 is promoting an action that will get you jail time in most states, espically the "shotgun only states". In my state you can not have rimfire ammo on you while hunting big game or slugs on you while hunting small game.

The only way I would use a .410 slug on deer is if I was shooting one that was standing on the patio, I was 10 feet away at the back door and .410 was the only gun in the house and the kids were starving.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-13-2011 at 11:12 AM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    If you people can guarentee head or neck shots with a .410 smoothbore you are in the top 1% of the worlds' sharpshooters!

You are not going to be able to call your shots at anything past 5 yards with a .410 slug from a full choke barrel. You are not talking about a Hastings rifle barrel with scope and 12 ga sabbot-slugs. We are discussing the absolute worst legal gun/ammo combination one can take into the deer woods.

What one can or has gotten away with is not the point. There are folks out there that have robbed more than one bank and broken the speed laws a time or two. That does not mean everyone needs to do those things. I am seeing more and more posts about people killing deer with .177 pellet rifles these days. That does not mean I am going to promote it, or even believe it.

And that comment on finishing off the deer with the .22 is promoting an action that will get you jail time in most states, espically the "shotgun only states". In my state you can not have rimfire ammo on you while hunting big game or slugs on you while hunting small game.

The only way I would use a .410 slug on deer is if I was shooting one that was standing on the patio, I was 10 feet away at the back door and .410 was the only gun in the house and the kids were starving.
    Ky,

No need to get upset,I am NOT out to break any laws,nor do I wish to injure an animal that I may not be able to finish off.

I chose this gun because I have physical limitations holding a heavier or as the case may be a less balanced gun,am I apposed to shooting with a gun on a rest?? No. But my preferred method would be on my feet,in total control of the firearm I am holding,IF that means that I can not take a deer with my gun,so be it, I WILL NOT shoot an animal if that animal is going to suffer because of me,this is what I have to live with.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I am not "upset". I simply see a bunch of contridiction and misinformation.

We all have limitations we work around. For some it is eyesight. For that most of us use scopes rather than refusing to shoot.

I have a bad back. I work within strict rifle weight limitations, as you do. I make my rifle/caliber choices inside those limitations.

I also use a shooting stick rather than pass up shots or not hunting at all.

I am having trouble understanding why there is adverse reaction to using optional equipment w/an adequite caliber rather than standing alone with a.410?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#sho..._1-2-4_8-16-32
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    PardnerŪ Compact
    Perfect for youth and small-statured adults, this downsized Pardner is equipped to be identical to the original.

20 Gauge (SB1-250)

Stock American hardwood, walnut finish, straight grip, recoil pad.
    Barrel 22"
    Chamber Up to 3"
    Sights Bead front
    Choke Modified
    Length 36"
    Length of Pull 12-1/2"
    Drop at Comb 1-1/2"
    Drop at Heel 2"
    Weight 5-5 1/2" lbs.

Nell I own one of these and would not hesitate to shoot a deer with it. My 8 yr old grandson uses it when I take him hunting. He likes it better then the .410.
    Last edited by klkak; 01-13-2011 at 05:20 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

They also offer the Pardner in a compact pump version. 6 1/2 pounds.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Why??...............
    Because thats how I was taught, never thought to ask why.

I wasn't allowed to use anything bigger than a 410 until I was around 13 or so. I'm sorry you can't shoot more than 10 feet and hit what you aim at. I'm not saying shoot at 100 yards with one but 20-30 yards is very doable. If you miss you don't have a wounded deer you have a miss.

I am not "upset". I simply see a bunch of contridiction and misinformation.

We all have limitations we work around. For some it is eyesight. For that most of us use scopes rather than refusing to shoot.

I have a bad back. I work within strict rifle weight limitations, as you do. I make my rifle/caliber choices inside those limitations.

I also use a shooting stick rather than pass up shots or not hunting at all.

I am having trouble understanding why there is adverse reaction to using optional equipment w/an adequite caliber rather than standing alone with a.410?
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#sho..._1-2-4_8-16-32
    I am not adverse to going to a 20 gauge,It has been a long time since i have shot a shotgun,and the last one sat me on my ***(12 g),rifles,I am pretty darn good at hitting what I aim for.

I actually plan on purchasing a couple in the near future,and will be asking more questions and trying them out for size/comfort before putting my dollar on the table.

Klkak,that is an intersting little guy you have there,I will be checking with the dealer at the gun shop and see if he has one on hand that I can put a few rounds through!
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

For people who have a hard time holding up a gun, it has less to do with the weight and more to do with weight distribution. Two guns with the same weight but one having a shorter barrel, the one with a shorter barrel will be easier to hold up for longer periods. This shows up excessively with children and people with small frames.

How does the recoil compare in the youth sized guns to the full size? I realize it's probably got more recoil but is it a little or quite a bit?

Every shot I've ever taken at something moving or with a heartbeat, I couldn't feel the recoil at all. I only feel recoil when I'm shooting stationary targets and think about it. Until I had seven shoulder surgeries, and now have the account for that.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

I remember when my son first wanted to hunt deer.(youth season in Iowa. A shotgun state) All I had was my 12 ga 870 pump and a single shot 410.The 870 was a bit more then he could handle and the 410 wasn't legal for deer in Iowa but I had a friend that had a youth model 20 ga single shot. (don't remember what make) I do remember my son liked shooting it though and got his first deer with it. I've used the 410 over the years for rabbits but don't think I would use it for anything else. IMHO

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Winnie "I have to agree with others, Nell. I've had a .410 single barrel full choke and it's really no more than a vermin gun. The range is pretty poor too. Have you tried a 16 bore? I had a little beaut. It was a side by side double barrel with a full and three quarter choke. Lovely balance and about the same weight as the .410."

Am I the only one who caught this? Maybe I am the only one on here willing to call BULL****.
    Last edited by klickitat; 01-14-2011 at 12:24 PM. Reason: A gentler and kinder me prevailed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    Winnie "I have to agree with others, Nell. I've had a .410 single barrel full choke and it's really no more than a vermin gun. The range is pretty poor too. Have you tried a 16 bore? I had a little beaut. It was a side by side double barrel with a full and three quarter choke. Lovely balance and about the same weight as the .410."

Am I the only one who caught this? Maybe I am the only one on here willing to call BULL****.
    Exactly what is it you're calling? Please elaborate.
    Last edited by Winnie; 01-14-2011 at 12:33 PM.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

She is having trouble holding a 20 g. and is looking at a .410 and you tell her to get something bigger than a 20 g. and then try to tell everyone that a 16g. was almost the same weight as a .410. If you do not know what you are talking about then I suggest not answering. You are only spreading bad information. This comment here was one of the reasons I started the REALLY? thread.

Blog Entries

Ah I see. Well, you can believe it or not, I'm not bothered one way or the other. The 16 bore I had weighed little more then the .410 and was easier to manage because the balance was better.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Winnie "Ah I see. Well, you can believe it or not, I'm not bothered one way or the other. The 16 bore I had weighed little more then the .410 and was easier to manage because the balance was better." It doesn't bother you because you do not have a clue. The 16g. is 300% bigger than the .410 and is about 20% behind the 12g.