Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .410??

Default .410??

I am getting a Rossi .410 to use as a hunting gun,it has an interchangable .22 barrel.

I know it's small caliber,but I have issues holding up heavier guns and keeping them steady while sighting in,I shoot off handed (pretty good shot,IF I can keep it steady) due to muscle nerve damage in my right arm wrist.

I know deer can be taken with this gun,and Amish neighbor took 3 with a .410 this season.

I just want to make sure when I take the shot,I am putting the animal down not maiming it.any words of wisdom on using the .410 ( Gonna be doing a lot of target shooting with it before next hunting season,and other suggestions?)
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Did they pull your lic. to harvest deer with your truck...........Hehehe

Banned
    Blog Entries

Is Indiana a shotgun only state, or could a rifle be used for deer hunting......?

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Did they pull your lic. to harvest deer with your truck...........Hehehe
    No,but the insurance hit me where it hurt,LOL!

My Amish neighbor is still giving me crap over BRAKING,when a huge buck jumped in front of my jeep about a month ago,he looked at me and said "you know thats a trophy buck,right??? If you have stepped on the gas,you coulda had him!"
    Last edited by nell67; 01-12-2011 at 09:10 AM.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

They have been allowed since 2007,with a few exceptions as to casing size.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...er_weapon.html

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Nell,

I have a few .410's for my daughter to learn with. I have never used them on deer. I have however purchased 3" triple 000 buck and patterned it at targets. I'd say inside of 25 yds. it would work. The pattern outside of that was off the target. The 3" triple 000 is comprised of 3 .410 cal slugs. Note also my daughters 2 are full choke.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Nell,

I have a few .410's for my daughter to learn with. I have never used them on deer. I have however purchased 3" triple 000 buck and patterned it at targets. I'd say inside of 25 yds. it would work. The pattern outside of that was off the target. The 3" triple 000 is comprised of 3 .410 cal slugs. Note also my daughters 2 are full choke.
    Gonna have to be REAL close then!

and tree stand would be out of the question? I have a blindmand figured thats the way to go,the be down on an even level to get a more accurate shot.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    Gonna have to be REAL close then!

and tree stand would be out of the question? I have a blindmand figured thats the way to go,the be down on an even level to get a more accurate shot.
    I would think a treestand would be an option. Down here we hunt one of 2 ways. close in thick cover stands are 10 to 12 ft. high. and over fields (100+yd. shots) stands are 15 to 20 ft. I have taken many deer in range of a .410 in thick cover in a 10 ft. stand, just not actually using a .410. Our thinking is tall stands are for high powered rifle shots, you want the shot trajectory to be at the ground. We never shoot hi-power rifles from the ground. A ground blind will work too, but I have never hunted that way.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Well placed, 3", heavy slug at under 50 yards. Kinetic energy and shot grouping drops off quickly after that. Make sure .410s are legal for deer where you live. I have doubts about .410 buckshot on a deer no matter what the range.

SD - Anything .357 or larger and soft point. It must also be no less than 1.16 inches in length and no more than 1.625 inches. Handgun is legal, too and there are stipulations on ammo for them.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

A .410 slug is 80 grains. That is like trying to kill a deer with a .380 pocket pistol. I know it has been done but there are better ways to do it.

I have lived near the Amish and do not adhere to their hunting methods. Most feel they sould be exempt from the game laws and hold themselves above those laws as they do many others.

Go with the 20ga/.22 rossi package. they even offer their 20ga as a slug gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/53824

At the least I would buy the 20 package and cut the barrel to 18-19 inches and mount some of the magnetic or stick on sights now available on it. Midway has 11 pages of sight choices.

It would only weigh a few ounces more than the .410 trube and give you three times the gun, and a proven deer killer.

The small game shells are cheaper too and you have a better choice in slug loads.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    A .410 slug is 80 grains. That is like trying to kill a deer with a .380 pocket pistol. I know it has been done but there are better ways to do it.

I have lived near the Amish and do not adhere to their hunting methods. Most feel they sould be exempt from the game laws and hold themselves above those laws as they do many others.

Go with the 20ga/.22 rossi package. they even offer their 20ga as a slug gun.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/53824

At the least I would buy the 20 package and cut the barrel to 18-19 inches and mount some of the magnetic or stick on sights now available on it. Midway has 11 pages of sight choices.

It would only weigh a few ounces more than the .410 trube and give you three times the gun, and a proven deer killer.

The small game shells are cheaper too and you have a better choice in slug loads.
    I have shot the 20 gauge,and it's weight is why I didn't go that route,part of gun control is hitting what you aim at,and if you can't hold it steady,you can't control it ( I have a surgical scar from my wrist,to above my elbow,on the underside of my arm,where muscle and nerve grafts were done from a "burn" injury).
    I was no where near hitting a target,without laying the gun on a support.

THe Amish in my area.other than not wearing a seat belt in a vehicle,follow the laws like the rest of us,I guess that depends on the order of Amish.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Blog Entries

I have to agree with others, Nell. I've had a .410 single barrel full choke and it's really no more than a vermin gun. The range is pretty poor too. Have you tried a 16 bore? I had a little beaut. It was a side by side double barrel with a full and three quarter choke. Lovely balance and about the same weight as the .410.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I am with the others that consider a .410 absolute min performance, for a sure kill.
    I guess I having a hard time seeing much difference for a Rossi .410 and a a Rossi 20 ga as far a weight of gun goes.

Recoil would be a bigger issue than actual weight, in my mind, as it seen that with the 20ga, you are throwing 5/8 oz of lead, much more mass that a .410. (I would have to look up the actual weights, I just going with what I shoot in my H&R SS.

If this is the case, and they are legal in your state, I would practice, till I was confident in where it shoots at different ranges.
    Shot placement trumps cal every time.

I also have tried the 3 000 buck shells as well, mostly in a derringer, am was not impressed at any range over 8 ft, (of course that is in the derringer with a 4" barrel.

I would not even consider using them for a deer load, unless I really, really had to.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by nell67 View Post
    I have shot the 20 gauge,and it's weight is why I didn't go that route,part of gun control is hitting what you aim at,and if you can't hold it steady,you can't control it ( I have a surgical scar from my wrist,to above my elbow,on the underside of my arm,where muscle and nerve grafts were done from a "burn" injury).
    I was no where near hitting a target,without laying the gun on a support.

THe Amish in my area.other than not wearing a seat belt in a vehicle,follow the laws like the rest of us,I guess that depends on the order of Amish.
    It just happens that I have both a .410 and a 20 ga SS sitting here before me. Removing the barrels and weighing the two rendered an amazing fact.

The 20 ga is lighter than the .410 by about 4 oz. Both barrels are 26", the 410 is full choke and the 20 is modified. Rossi lists both at the same 5 pound weight.

The .410 has more meat in the breech area even though the barrel is more slinder at the muzzle. If I cut the 20 ga barrel to 18" it would be considerably lighter than the 410.

It is a difference in balance you are feeling, not a weight difference.

If you need a rest get one. There are several shooting sticks on the market or you can make your own stick with a v on top for a rest. Even a hiking stick or ski pole will work. Leanb against a tree or use a fence post if you have too. I shoot muzzle heavy BP guns a lot and use a rest without hesitation. The first thing most pro-hunters and guides will tell you before taking a shot is to get into a rest position. No one can shoot good groups offhand, even without nerve damage, it is a myth.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-12-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Here's a guy who touts heavy .410 slugs. Specifically Brenneke's 188gr Silver Slug. A well placed 800 ft-lbs will take a deer.

I use a 410 but mine can also shoot the 45 Colt that is a big step up from the 410. The 410 has a very limited range and I can see the shot when it looses velocity and drops to the ground. The shells are expensive also. Mine is a handgun used for the opportunities that present themselves on the trail. I very much have liked the 20 guages I have had and have heard of new sabots for them that rival rifle cartridges although I have not used them. The 20 guage may very well be a better survival cartridge and the deciding factor for me would be the firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    It just happens that I have both a .410 and a 20 ga SS sitting here before me. Removing the barrels and weighing the two rendered an amazing fact.

The 20 ga is lighter than the .410 by about 4 oz. Both barrels are 26", the 410 is full choke and the 20 is modified. Rossi lists both at the same 5 pound weight.

The .410 has more meat in the breech area even though the barrel is more slinder at the muzzle. If I cut the 20 ga barrel to 18" it would be considerably lighter than the 410.

It is a difference in balance you are feeling, not a weight difference.

If you need a rest get one. There are several shooting sticks on the market or you can make your own stick with a v on top for a rest. Even a hiking stick or ski pole will work. Leanb against a tree or use a fence post if you have too. I shoot muzzle heavy BP guns a lot and use a rest without hesitation. The first thing most pro-hunters and guides will tell you before taking a shot is to get into a rest position. No one can shoot good groups offhand, even without nerve damage, it is a myth.
    You are probably right about it being a balance issue,I just know,that for me,holding the 20 in a firing position,it was unsteady and felt heavy in my hand,and that very well could be exaggerated with the weakness in my arm,not the gun itself,I have not held the 2 side by side without the barrels.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

I've never had a problem using my .410 for deer. Don't use buck shot use slugs!!! I only shoot neck shots.

Blog Entries

Cool It's all good...

It's cool Nell, just take the .22 barrel along with. Shoot the dear with the .410 and if he doesn't die, swap out the barrels and finish it off with the .22. Anyway, you should be all right if you aim for the throat! BTW, both my wife & I have the same gun in .20ga/.22! You have good taste!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin