Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Enough Already!!!!

Default Enough Already!!!!

I don't feel a real need for a great deal of conversation on this, I am just posting it as an FYI. Shame on Westboro Baptist Church .
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/01/11/ari...ex.html?hpt=T2

Funeral pickets to be met by 'angels'
    By the CNN Wire Staff
    January 11, 2011 9:04 a.m. EST

Westboro Baptist Church plans to picket funerals of the Tucson shooting victims
    Tucson, Arizona (CNN) -- Tucson just isn't that kind of town, says Christin Gilmer.
    Gilmer is referring to the actions of Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, which has made its name protesting the funerals of people who died of AIDS, gay people, soldiers and even Coretta Scott King.
    But when the church announced its intention to picket the funeral of a 9-year-old girl -- one of six people who died Saturday during the attempted assassination of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords -- Gilmer and others put their feet down.
    Tucson is a "caring, loving, peaceful community," according to Gilmer, who said two of the six people killed were friends.
    "For something like this to happen in Tucson was a really big shock to us all," she said. "Our nightmare happened when we saw Westboro Baptist Church was going to picket the funerals."

They're planning an "angel action" -- with 8- by 10-foot "angel wings" worn by participants and used to shield mourners from pickets. The actions were created by Coloradan Romaine Patterson, who was shocked to find the Topeka church and its neon signs outside the 1999 funeral of Matthew Shepherd, a young gay man beaten and left on a fence to die in Laramie, Wyoming.
    "We want to surround them, in a nonviolent way, to say that our community is united," Gilmer said. "We're a peaceful haven.
    "You don't mess with Tucson," said Gilmer, 26, who described it as "a little dot of blue in a sea of red."
    But political persuasions don't matter, she said. Republicans, Democrats, independents, right, left and center -- they've all offered their support. Forty-two people have signed up on a Facebook page called "Build Angel Wings for the Westboro Funeral Counter-Protest and Meeting," and more than 4,500 have signed up on another page to "Show Support for the Families of the Tucson Shooting Victims."
    "People, businesses, they're all donating material and money to build the angel wings," said Gilmer, who is helping organize the action. She added they're donating to a fund created to help pay for services for the shooting victims.
    Chelsea Cohen, a 20-year-old senior at the University of Arizona who launched the "Show Support" Facebook page, said she never expected such a response.
    "Once I heard that the Westboro Baptist Church was coming, I felt like something should be done to show support for the families," she said. "I don't have any experience in organizing these things. I thought I might get 50 to 100 people."
    Cohen said she thinks many of the 4,500 people who've signed up on the Facebook page will be there "in spirit" Thursday when mourners gather for the funeral of Christina Taylor Green, who was born on September 11, 2001. But she added, Tucson is an active town, and the response isn't likely to be small.
    "This isn't a counterprotest," she said. "We wanted it to show support for the families and to show that Tucson is there with love and support."
    They don't want to interfere with the funeral in any way, Cohen said.
    "We plan on being completely silent, and we're asking people not to bring signs or make comments about the Westboro Baptist Church," she said.
    The angels will be doing the same thing.
    "We're going to silently stand there so people can mourn the death of a 9-year-old girl who died in a senseless tragedy," Gilmer said.
    Cohen said several groups are planning to be at the funeral to show their support, and there is an effort afoot to bring them all together "into one group so we can all be on the same page."
    "I hope that everyone there can convey the peaceful message that we want to convey, she said
    And if the church pickets persist, the silent supporters will be on hand for the funerals of U.S. District Judge John Roll, Gabriel Zimmerman, Dorothy Morris, Dorwin Stoddard and Phyllis Schneck, the other five victims of Saturday's shooting. Giffords, who was shot in the head and is in critical condition, and 13 other people were wounded.
    Westboro Baptist Church, founded by its spiritual leader, Fred Phelps, and run mostly by family members, did not respond to a request for an interview in time for this article. But a flier released by the church about the picket targets the Roman Catholic Church because Christina and her family were members.
    "God hates Catholics!" the flier, posted on the church's "God Hates Fags" website, says. "God calls your religion 'vain,' as it's empty of His truth; you worship idols!"
    Last edited by Pal334; 01-11-2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarification
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Sounds like a circus act to me. What's the wolrd coming to?

This is what happens when you let law supercede common sense and ethics.

There are all kinds of lunatics in this country. Some kill people, while others harass and spew hate.
    There's nothing sacred any more, free speech, or not.

Banned

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Westboro Baptist Church can’t to protest Arizona shooting funerals

Legislation will ban protesting by Westboro Baptist Church at funerals.

Lindsey Herzik

The Arizona State Legistature is expected to pass a new law Tuesday that will ban protesters at funerals from getting closer than 300 feet of the funeral service.

The Huffington Post reports that State Rep. Daniel Patterson said that the law is a direct reponse to the plan of Westboro Baptist Church to protest the funeral of Christina Green, the nine-year-old who was one of the victims in Saturday’s shooting.

The church has made a name for itself for protesting funerals of soldiers, people who died of AIDS, and victims of murders.The leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, Fred Phelps released a video titled “God Sent the shooter” where he blames the victims of the shooting for being sinners, and details his plans to protest the funeral.

In addition to the ban CNN reports that some Tucson residents are planning an “angel action.” This is done by shielding the mourners with large angel wings so that they cannot see the picketers.

“We want to surround them, in a non-violent way, to say that our community is united,” Christin Gilmer, a Tucson resident told CNN.
    01/11/11
    http://www.collegenews.com/index.php...ch_5654348798/

It is really a shame that they get to act in such a heinous manner under the guise of free speech.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My wife told me about this today. I swear, if that were a family member I'd pull a ball bat out the vehicle and see how many home runs I can make. This twists my panties in about as big of a knot as possible. Fred, you don't even make a decent pimple on the *** of a goat. I just hope God has a very special version of Hell for you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If I ever see these guys protesting anything, I'll be going to jail.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Arizona lawmakers pass an emergency measure to stop Westboro Baptist Church from demonstrating at the funeral of Christina Green, 9.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7494257.story
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good for Arizona!!!

These whack jobs will end up in front of the Supreme Court eventually. They tried to get close to a soldiers funeral here but their group of about fifteen were met with a line of about 300 veterans from various groups that formed a line. The Westboro protesters decided not to cross the line of veterans to get any closer to the funeral proceedings. Smart move on their part. That was a sad day in that we had to confront those cowards, but it was a rewarding day in that we helped the family of a fallen soldier honor their son.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I also think the Angel Wings idea is brilliant, symbolically and technically.

But, does AZ have a law about military funerals?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

A law needs to be passed to keep these lunatics away from grieving families...
    They cite law as their right to protest... 1 day someone who is grieving and just don't give a damn about the law will arrange these lunatics' own funeral.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

You did read the thread, right? See post 8. You can't just look at the pictures.

Default On a side note

Mental illness is still a taboo in our society and a lot of families find it easier to turn a blind eye to any "odd" behavior exhibited by a family member, or they just make excuses.
    Fact is, the shooter's family had plenty of opportunity to do something about his mental state way before he went over the edge and took innocent people's lives with him. After all, he lived at home, he's been arrested twice and there were countless other incidents to point out to anyone who isn't blind and deaf that something was amiss. People at work saw it, teachers and students at his school saw it, the neighbors saw it. He was reported by others to the police but the police couldn't do anything until he acted.
    Yet...the parents did nothing. Short of committing him, (which they couldn't do because he didn't overtly exhibit being dangerous to himself or others) they had other things at their disposal. Nothing was done, and we know that because the parents said..."we had no idea".
    So...as much as I'd like to feel sorry for them, I don't. They are tangentially responsible and they'll have to live with that burden for the rest of their lives. If ANYthing good comes out of this, I hope it's awareness and proactivity in dealing with mental illness as soon as the first symptoms appear.

Quote Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
    A law needs to be passed to keep these lunatics away from grieving families...
    They cite law as their right to protest... 1 day someone who is grieving and just don't give a damn about the law will arrange these lunatics' own funeral.
    Problem with that is the law will most certainly be used to tread on the rights of all free speakers in general, it will be abused unless the law is worded very specifically, but they never are, always loopholes and room for "interpretation" built in to them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Mental illness is still a taboo in our society and a lot of families find it easier to turn a blind eye to any "odd" behavior exhibited by a family member, or they just make excuses......

Short of committing him, (which they couldn't do because he didn't overtly exhibit being dangerous to himself or others) they had other things at their disposal. Nothing was done, and we know that because the parents said..."we had no idea".....

If ANYthing good comes out of this, I hope it's awareness and proactivity in dealing with mental illness as soon as the first symptoms appear.

I agree. However, it would be nice if court proceedings on mental health issues (as well as divorce/domestic matters) were held in closed session and not open to the public. In Massachusetts, getting help with such matters means that you'll be airing your family's dirty laundry out in a courtroom filled with members of the general public. That alone discourages many people from seeking help when the need arises.
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

If one seeks help early enough, it may never get to court.
    There are all types of interventions starting with therapy, meds and a closer supervision especially when the
    person lives at home or with someone else.

Blog Entries

Okay, but they're still despicable.

Church agrees to not protest slain child’s funeral.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/news/nat...osition=recent
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You did read the thread, right? See post 8. You can't just look at the pictures.
    Lol.. but looking at pictures is so much easier...
    yes, I did read it and im glad they did that... I should have been clearer. This group, or a very similar one, has been protesting alot of soldier funerals lately in my local area... it really boils my blood... and I am one of the last to advocate any limitations on free speech.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.