Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Who carries what 24/7?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

My goodness DS, I took you for a footie pajama guy!

Possibly with little blue bunnies and clouds in the background.

I used to carry a loadout every day when I was teaching. Some of the classrooms I had were basement levels with no windows, others were second or third story and one was second story right next to the disciplinary office so anyone that took to shooting would start their rampage right next door. I had climbing rope in the desk in that classroom.

Now that I am retired I don't carry that much unless I am leaving the place.

I keep the standard pocket knife, keys with ferro rod on the chain, not much else. If I drop a pistol in my pocket it is due to some threat I have seen roaming the fence lines and I sometimes forget I have it on me. I am big into gun comfort while carrying.

When I leave the house any of the vehicles is set up for long term situation endurance so I don't keep ten pounds of gear on me any more.

Of course I have a CCW permit so when I leave home I am always armed and that changes with the situation and threat level. I am not all up into the same gun all then time for all occasions. May be a P3at today and a 1911 tomorrow.

Same when I am roaming the woods, depends on what season is open and the gun and pocket knife will change due to the game I pursue.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 08-13-2016 at 02:35 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyrats,
    I think I may have had a pair of footie pajamas once. Must have been before I was old enough to walk. I have a picture somewhere of me in a "onesy" or at least that is what my DW calls them.

I, too, have what in Oklahoma is called "The Self Defense Act" card/permit (AKA CCW) and my carry pistol does vary some but not much. I am and have been a die hard 1911 man since I was 13 BUT nowadays I find myself carrying that Glock is my right hip pocket. Easy, comfortable and extremely accessible. If by some chance I am wearing britches that I can not do that in I may choose another, smaller, pistol just stuck in my belt. I have and carry a little Colt "Pocket Hammerless" Model 1908 in 380 ACP.

In my thinking, and it is just something that I have changed recently, carrying the additional magazines just make sense. Until the last two years or so I relied on having access to a vehicle with additional mags and more ammo. However in our "changing world" I decided it may be prudent to carry an additional magazine or two on my person.

I couldn't agree more, DS. The last thing I want to do is get into a gun fight. The very lastest thing I want to do is run out of ammo if I do get in one. Maybe if I hold them at bay long enough John Wayne will arrive with the cavalry.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Ammo load was one of the things I was considering when I mentioned different firearms for different threat levels. There is that ever present consideration of balancing ammo capacity with power level, accuracy and concealibility, which is more of a problem in summer than in cold weather. I must admit that lately concealibility has become a less important factor in my decisions when a short time ago it was the top factor.

It may be the "old geezer" in me but with things the way they are today I just don't care if someone sees my pistol "Print" or if it is exposed to chance view, I have a permit, I'm legal. Open carry is legal in my state and many engage in that practice, so why should I be so concerned if someone notices the nice grips on my 1911 if the wind blows my shirt tail?

One of the things I discovered when I got the CCW was that carrying the gun became very relaxed and normal feeling, but I have never become accustomed to the ammo load out.

It is also different for each of the guns I carry and I have to adjust for that too, mentally.

And there is the vehicle factor. I find it very difficult to work my way around the bucket seats and seat belts in my vehicles and the location of the carry pistol. If it is comfortable it is impossible to access. If it is accessible it is uncomfortable or dangerous.

The thing we men must endure when trying to properly accessorize.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I guess I haven't really posted anything to this thread except banter....
    So.....
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Wallet
    Mini Revolver in sheath
    Flip phone/pouch
    Gerber folder
    SAK Huntsman
    SAK Money clip/small cash
    BIC
    Match box w/meds,
    Belt pouch, (Mini Bic, Mini Multi tool, Ferro rod, striker, wadded up cotton balls in bottom...Key hanger

Or if it's the Altoids Tin drill......

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by DSJohnson View Post
    Nope in bed I am naked. Not even a hong. Read the beginning of my post brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That does not paint a pretty picture !
    Lamewolf
    Manu Forti
    Roadkill, its whats for supper !
    www.angelfire.com/electronic2/qrp

I completely missed that the first time then you had to go and highlight it. Now I'll be off food for a week.

I guess I didn't realize how much 'stuff' I tote until I had to ditch some of it. Today I took a class for CCW so I could get an enhanced permit. It had about four hours of classroom and two hours of range time but some passes on a simulator. The classroom (wisely) had a policy of no real guns or live ammo, so I had to take my HK back to the car. But I forgot a couple of mags stashed strategically around my person. Guns, lights, knives...

Either on my person, in my pockets or in a small pack - wallet, keys, belt, sidearm, spare magazine, badge/credentials, folding knife, flashlight, eyeglasses/sunglasses, firestarters [lighter and ferro rod], 1st aid kit [small], $50 in small bills+roll of quarters, flash drive, cell phone+cord+portable power pack and some other stuff I can't think of off the top of my head......
    "But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.--Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government."

~~Declaration of Independence