Thread: Seeds are on order(Happy days!)

Blog Entries

Default Seeds are on order(Happy days!)

After a few happy days thumbing through seed catalogues and checking online I've made my decisions and seeds have been ordered.
    Not only am I increasing the amount of veg I'm growing, I'm also growing more varieties. With luck, what we eat fresh and what I can store will more or less provide what we need.
    So this year the garden will be full of: Greens(5 types), Carrots, Swede, Tomatoes, Beans(2types), Squash(3 types), Cucumber, Sweet Pepper, Aubergine, Salads, Onions, Shallots, bulb Fennel, Beetroot, some herbs and no doubt a few other bits and bobs.
    So we know Crash is growing A LOT of tomataoes, what's everyone else growing?
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Yay! Sounds like a good selection. What's Swede (other folks from that Scandinavian country)?

I just started the first round of my Spring seeds:

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Just basil (I think I finally killed the one I had), tomatoes, and tomatillos right now.

Next month, I'll start the beans and melons.

Already in the garden are:
    Chile peppers (5 kinds)
    Swiss chard
    Radishes
    Carrots
    Bok choy
    Lettuce
    Potato
    Thyme
    And a couple of tomatoes on life support

Thanks for reminding me, I should probably throw some fennel and onions out there.

We call it Rutabaga.

Blog Entries

Oh, and I think you call Beetroot; Beets!

And I'm not at all jealous that you and Crash are growing/sowing already GS.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Beetroot I had heard before. But swede was a new one on me!

I'll look back fondly on this time in June, when my garden bursting into flames.

little cabin on the river. NE interior AK

I just ordered my seeds online the other day. It was very refreshing browsing through the catalogs and dream of the upcoming garden season.

I will start a few tomatoes next week (last years seeds), just to get a head start until I can get my mail flown in to my remote location. Then I can get started on more, in batches. until my bay windows are overflowing and it is warm enough to set the flats out during the day. I won't be able to plant anything in the ground until June 1st (seeds) then the small already started plants June 7th. It could freeze at any time in Ak where I live, and the chances are if I wait until June 7th. Even though it is hard, I can't jump the gun in planting too early.

Very jealous of you folks down south that have gardens planted. I have quite a while to wait here.

I plant cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, Swiss chard, carrots, turnip, rutabaga, potatoes, radish, snap peas outside. And cucumbers, tomatoes, assorted peppers, basil, dill, oregano, summer savory, parsley and catnip (for Mr. Kitty) in the greenhouse (with some of the herbs in pots inside in the bay window too). I also have a rhubarb, chive and green bunching onion patches that are perennials (love those plants that just pop back up every year)!

Grandma Lori
    Wilderness is not a luxury but a necessity of the human spirit
    ~Ed Abbey