Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Machete

Question Machete

Can anyone tell me about Tramontina machetes? These are only about $6.00 at SMKW Are these just cheap junk or what ? I am currently packing a ColdSteel Kukri machete & I really like it but was thinking about getting the Tramontina 14" bolo machete ($5.99 SMKW) for a little more reach.
    It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger squeeze !

sorry i can't be of actual help but i will say that the $10 junk machete i have atm works just fine. you do seem to get what you pay for [and i traded a $10 butterfly knife for it].
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

TT - I have a cheap Kurkri and a cheap machete. I don't have any problems with either one. If I am going to be in one place a while I like to have one or the other (I prefer the Kurkri) just to hack with. Either is a pain to carry if you on the move.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default tramontina

I have a couple of tramontina machetes and have used them for years.
    Mine were purchased in the Caribbean, and I feel they are better than most junk you can buy from places like surplus stores, etc.

Blog Entries

Here is my machette.

http://Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Vintage WWII

Surreptitious Watchman Kemperor's Avatar

Tramontina uses a carbon steel, although they do not specify which. The handles are either wood or polypropylene. As far as cheap machetes go, they're alright. If you want one with longer reach, I'd just get a Cold Steel Magnum Khukri to accompany your other, as it is not much more expensive, and it has a 16 inch blade, so you get even more reach than the Tramontina. I have a magnum khukri, and I definitely trust it with my life.

I got a Gerber GATOR saw back machete, nice grip. The thing is easy to use either sawing
    or hacking. Weird scabbard, no belt attachment point.

Do not buy a Cold Steel two handed Machete..
    It is way to much fun and your garden will suffer for it.
    I've offered to clear the bushes and vines from the neighbours just as an excuse to use it.
    Carl

Blog Entries

Sorry I don't use a machete, just a hawk and knife.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Surreptitious Watchman Kemperor's Avatar

Hawk and a knife is good. If it gets the job done, it gets the job done.

I'll tell you all what I've been looking for. I've noticed that the machetes made today are very cheaply made, which they're supposed to be a cheaper tool, but quality is still a good attribute to have. Does anyone know of any decently priced (between $30 and $100) machetes that are over 14" in length that are wider than just a few mm or 1/8 inch? I'm talking at least 1/5 of an inch thickness. I've found some traditional Filipino blades made in the Philippines, and some genuine, non ceremonial Thai darbs that are of the thickness and quality that I'm looking for, but they're all over $150. That goes for the Valiant Co blades I've found also. Or am I just going to have to pay the price on this one?

I find some of the cheap ones are too thin and the blade tends to twist and bend with use, increasing the risk of it ricocheting off its intended target.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

I use one of these...link

its a beast, and at 1/4" thick youll never bend or warp it, full tang and a nice solid rubber grip. and a real nice sheath.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Nice, but for the price I will stick with my 40yr old USA Ontario hasn't failed me yet and the rolled edge cuts nicely.

I use several Cold Steel machetes and they are great. You can often get them at a Gun show for a good price as the shipping will cost as much as the blade. The sheaths cost as much as the blades but still not that bad. I just saw on their website that they have new sheaths with pockets on them. look cool but have not scene one yet.

OK, I guess this one is for me. I live in Brazil and can attest that the Tramontina is THE standard machete here.

You have to understand a little about machetes and tropical nations to really "get" the Tramontina. The end user of the Tramontina machete is a guy who works incredibly hard for his pay in a country with a year round growing season. Machetes are a comsumable commodity like tires. They are designed to do their job, get beat up, and then replaced when they wear out.

They are not works of blademaker art. The cost is kept low on purpose but they must retain a high degree of functionality or nobody would buy them. Here in Brazil, arguably one of the nations with the highest use of the machete, the Tramontina line is top. I would say that easily 90% of the machetes sold here are made by Tramontina.

I use them very much from the 10 inch to 20 inch. My absolute favorite is the 14 inch Bolo. It is an awesome deal of $6, in fact it is a no brainer purchase, if you don't have one you are missing out on a great deal. I say that with no hesitation. The ONLY criticism I have of it is that it is hard to find a sheath for.

My other favorite is the 16 inch Latin pattern machete. The 16 is a good balance between length, and weight. The 20 inch is good for tall grasses and clearing land but is difficult to tolerate on a belt. The 14 and 16 inch machetes are compromise blades that are easy to carry and yet get the job done.

When I run my course each guy gets a 14 or 16 inch Tramontina and a Mora SWAK. With these two you can get all your cutting jobs done very well. I have never had a complaint.

I would have no qualms about heading off into the jungle with a Tramontina machete, millions of people are doing just that this morning. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

A note on blade thickness and weigth.

A heavy machete like the Ontario is very good on hardwoods. It is more like a hatchet with a long edge. The downside to such a machete is that when you have to hack for hours, especially in tall grass and light entangling vegitation it will wear out your arm.

Do an experiment here. Make a fist with your hand held up and down. Now place your left hand over your forearm at the crook of your elbow. Bend your fist up and down. You should feel a round muscle in your forearm moving back and forth. That is the muscle a heavy machete will DETONATE in short order when you have to use it repeatedly and once it is done you are done chopping. A light, long blade is much easier to swing for hours and gives enough reach to clear high and low.

Machetes are like golf clubs, you have to pick the right one for the job. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

I hadn't heard of the Tramontina. Thanks. Here's another review of them that echoes your description. http://www.outdoors-magazine.com/spi...&id_article=49
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Blog Entries

Pict do you use the straight edge or the bolo edge?
    Which one do you prefer?
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I carry my old Ontario on my ATV front rack so weight isn't a problem. I would try a Tramontina but the shipping would be more than the price. I keep a good cutting edge but around here they get very little use. I can't think of anyone besides me that carries one.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Two old machetes i got from my grandpap a long time ago.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.