Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interchangable caliber ammo?

Blog Entries

Cool Interchangable caliber ammo?

Does all .38 ammo interchange with 9mm &/or .357 Magnum, or does it depend on the firearm?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

.357 Mag will shoot .38 special, NOT the other way around.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Blog Entries

Cool Ok...

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    .357 Mag will shoot .38 special, NOT the other way around.
    Yeah, sorta figured that. can you fire 9mm through a .38 do ya know? BTW, your post count was 357, pretty cool.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Ruger Blackhawk convertable will fire 38spl, 357 mag and with the exchanging cylinder also fire 9mm. Pretty versatile.
    Bear Clan

I was born with nothing,
    with hard work and deligence I still have most of it
    this week a lot less...must be a hole in my pocket

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

9mm will not chamber in a .38/.357 chamber. The tapered round is too fat at the base. .38 super will chamber in .38/357, so will .38 Colt.

.380 will work if you use a piece of wire wrapped around the extractor groove.

Haven't we done this one before?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Yeah, sorta figured that. can you fire 9mm through a .38 do ya know? BTW, your post count was 357, pretty cool.
    What an odd coincidence.

Or....Was it.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

When I was a kid, we kids wrapped a 30-06 round in tin foil and fired it in a 45-70 trap door, once!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

What is that old saying about "fools and children"?

Fortunately, that case probably split from one end to the other and vented all the gasses out past the slug.

I had thought .38 super and 9mm were interchangable in some guns depending on extractor, or maybe it was angle of feed... or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Last edited by beetlejuicex3; 01-10-2011 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeetle View Post
    I had thought .38 super and 9mm were interchangable in some guns depending on extractor, or maybe it was angle of feed... or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.
    .38 super has a small rim and different case head, deminsions are identical to .38spl other than that. It is longer than the 9mm.

9mm will fit into the .38 Super chamber but should not be fired. It is sort of like putting a .308 in a 30-06 rifle. Plus the extractor may or may not catch the rim.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 01-10-2011 at 08:36 PM.

where does the 9mm baynard fall into play with all this?

you find one and i'll tell you

if i'm not wrong the 9x23mm Largo should fire in a firearm chambered for 9.23mm Win, again, if you can find one.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

for some reason I thought 9mm bayard and 9mm largo are the same cartridge.. I have lots of largo.

9x23mm largo is also listed 9mm bayard long, but i may be mistaken in assuming that 9mm bayard was not the same as well.
    Last edited by canid; 01-10-2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I think it's actually is called 9mm bergmann/bayard. to be honest when I wrote my first post I meant 9mm largo and had a brain burp and wrote 9mm bayard instead. I don't know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Hello new to the forum ruger makes a cylinder for their blackhawk 357 but you need half moon clips to shoot the 9mm and you will may need to send the pistol to ruger to make sure it is timed correctly , there is company that has adds in backwoodsmen mag that sells camber inserts to shoot different rounds (same caliber) in rifles (its in Alaska).hope this helps

Blog Entries

Cool Howdy from Sarge!

Quote Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
    Hello new to the forum ruger makes a cylinder for their blackhawk 357 but you need half moon clips to shoot the 9mm and you will may need to send the pistol to ruger to make sure it is timed correctly , there is company that has adds in backwoodsmen mag that sells camber inserts to shoot different rounds (same caliber) in rifles (its in Alaska).hope this helps
    Hi Pepper, I just visited your profile page & was impressed with your info on yourself their. Why not go to the intro page & properly introduce yourself to the group? Based on the data I saw they'd love to hear from you!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    I think it's actually is called 9mm bergmann/bayard. to be honest when I wrote my first post I meant 9mm largo and had a brain burp and wrote 9mm bayard instead. I don't know why.
    They are all the same.

They are all also identical to the .38 Super in specs except for power level. 9mmB&B/L is loaded to the specs of the .38acp which was the daddy of the .38super.

What you do is reload using .38super brass and .38 spl load datta.

A bunch of the surplus spanish pistols were and still are imported in 9mmB&B/L. I think there are some Star 1911 copies still available from the big importers.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

That man from KY knows his stuff, kinda born in us. I couldn't add to anything he said.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I fortunate to have a few hundred boxer primed cases in 9mm largo, dies and a few guns that fire it. these days a fella can get boxer primed brass in just about anything. the largo is also called 9mm bayard long but to most it's known as 9mm largo.