Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No sparks!

Default No sparks!

Hey everyone. So I purchased a flint and steel kit recently that came with a steel striker, a small piece of Texas flint, char cloth, and twine. I am super excited to finally be able to start working on my fire making skills but now there is something else getting in my way. I cannot get a spark!

I am striking the flint with the striker in a swift downward motion like I have seen others do in videos but my steel will not produce a spark to light my char cloth. Sometimes I might get one or two little sparks but nothing substantial. Pieces of my flint seem to be chipping off too! It is getting very frustrating but I do not want to give up, I am determined to get a fire going with this thing! Is there any sort of technique that I am missing? Do you think my tools are just poorly chosen?

Do you have a link of where you bought the kit?

The striker you are using might not be hard enough, or doesn't have a good "edge" to throw the sparks. You might want to try a piece of hacksaw blade to see if that will throw the sparks.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

My first thought would be technique. If it's flint then most metals will garner some spark as you indicated. If you have a sharp edge on the striker make certain it is striking the flint. A picture of your kit would sure help.

And try what RX suggested. A different metal like hacksaw would eliminate or confirm a problem with the metal.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You said that you are seeing one or two sparks, so I would recommend try striking on different areas of the piece of flint. It sounds as though it may be a technique issue that can be corrected with practice.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sure here is the link to the exact product I got. It says that the steel is high-carbon which is the kind multiple sources recommended but of course just because something is written doesn't make it true. I like to think I was not jipped though!

http://www.black-bear-haversack.com/...oducts_id/5418

Ok, it is not a firesteel, but actual flint. I have not dealt with actual flint, but in many videos I have seen, it doesn't produce as many sparks as shown in Hollywood movies. I would suggest to just keep trying if you've already watched videos on it.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree with all the above. You might want to polish up the striking edge some using sandpaper or belt sander. If you have any doubts about the flint try striking it with a file. Keep us posted.

when I first started practising, I spent my time making sparks. what I mean by that is I didn't try to hold onto the char or otherwise catch a spark. I struck away until the sparks came easy then went onto catching a spark.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    when I first started practising, I spent my time making sparks. what I mean by that is I didn't try to hold onto the char or otherwise catch a spark. I struck away until the sparks came easy then went onto catching a spark.
    +1, It is hard to get a good spark with some consistancy without practice.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Keep in mind that F&S does not create the strong shower of spark that a ferro rod creates. It may just throw 3-6 sparks, but it only takes a single spark in the char to get the job done.

I have seen folk start fire with F&S in many ways.

Some strike the steel with the flint, showering sparks into char lying on a surface.

Some strike the flint with the steel while holding the char on top of the flint.

A problem getting spark can be either bad flint, bad steel or too much light. Many times the spark is weak and if there is too much light you can not see them. You will need a sharpe edge on the flint.

Find a spot where the light is dim, place you char on the ground or on a table in a plate. Hold the steel about three inches above the char and strike it a downward glance with the flint. If you see a couple of sparks keep striking and moving the sparks toward the char.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Might need to knock a sharp edge on the piece of flint. I've never really used one, but everyone I see doing it with success says to have a sharp edge on the flint itself.

Not sure if you have real flint, or a ferro rod (mischmetal). A ferro rod gets a black coating of oxidation on it when it sits for a week or two. You have to strike over and over to scratch off this coating. A working ferro rod is silver, not black. Keep striking until you get a silver rod, and the sparks should come.

It's not a ferro rod.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I have been practicing and I am getting sparks more regularly now but not enough that I would say it is a reliable way to light a fire. How long does it normally take you guys to get a few sparks when using a striker and flint (the rock not a ferro rod)?

once you get sparks every time you strike then try to catch a spark. I like putting charcloth on top of the flint, usually after one to three strikes a spark will land on the char and take. have a pile of tinder ready to take the char and then blow it into flame. some guys use sisal rope, I never have tried it. once you get it down it will seem so simple, good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    I have been practicing and I am getting sparks more regularly now but not enough that I would say it is a reliable way to light a fire. How long does it normally take you guys to get a few sparks when using a striker and flint (the rock not a ferro rod)?
    Watch the video that Rick linked to in post #7. It only takes one spark to get a fire going (gee, sounds like the lyrics to a song) if you are using a material that catches sparks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Treeman View Post
    the lack of reliability isn't in the flint or the striker. like any skill worth having it makes you earn it. don't give up.

somebody probably failed to get the hang of driving a car for the first time once and thought 'this isn't an effective way to get around', despite all evidence to the contrary.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Ferro rods seemed to have destroyed the "old way" of using flint (rock) and steel.

You will only see a few sparks, as has been brought up, but most think it won't work with just a few.

A piece of file will also work for a "steel".
    I have no problem with catching a spark on the char cloth (needs to be cotten).

Now if I could just get the right combo with a bow drill................
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

it take awhile to get a new steel to throw good spraks . I bought one at yfc rondy and it took about 1000 strikes be for it would throw one sprak but now its the best i have had .I can get a fire going in a few seconds. you need a long silver of steel to come off the steel make a good sparkso just keep tring.
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...