Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

I have enjoyed reading some of the resent ethical threads. I find myself in a situation and while I have all ready decided what to do but I wonder what you guys would do in my place. There is a young moose with a broken leg in my yard. I hate to see animals suffer but moose season is over and my freezer is full. There are people I could give the meat to but there is always the risk of being caught shooting a moose out of season. I could just let nature and the wolves take thier natural coarse. This is what Fish and Game has told me in similar situations in the past and should I call them I'm sure that's what they'll say and then I will remove the option of shooting it since they would be aware of the situation. I hate to see animals suffer and meat go to waste as I see letting the wolves have it would be. What would you do?

If a local vet or wildlife rescue is an option I would contact them. If that were not an option, I would put the animal out of its misery and make sure a family that needed the meat got it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I have enjoyed reading some of the resent ethical threads. I find myself in a situation and while I have all ready decided what to do but I wonder what you guys would do in my place. There is a young moose with a broken leg in my yard. I hate to see animals suffer but moose season is over and my freezer is full. There are people I could give the meat to but there is always the risk of being caught shooting a moose out of season. I could just let nature and the wolves take thier natural coarse. This is what Fish and Game has told me in similar situations in the past and should I call them I'm sure that's what they'll say and then I will remove the option of shooting it since they would be aware of the situation. I hate to see animals suffer and meat go to waste as I see letting the wolves have it would be. What would you do?
    By posting on here about it, you have already told us how you are going to handle it. The wolves will eat well this week.

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    By posting on here about it, you have already told us how you are going to handle it. The wolves will eat well this week.
    You just ruined all my fun. OK...for sake of discussion assume I care.

I would do the same as Crash.

well dang it you made it too easy.

If my family was hungry, I would shoot it and eat it. If I need money and then I knew there was a wolf pack around, I might follow it and use it as live bait. If I had no time for an elaborate wolf hunt and I was not hungry then I might tell a hungry neighbor about it or just let it die on it's own. Risk vrs. reward.

Let nature run it's course.

Banned

if my freezer was full but i knew someone who could use the meat i'd shoot it and give the meat to them. it's going to either be wolf meat or someone's food.
    if i didn't know someone who could use the meat i'd shoot it anyway to put it out of it's misery and then let the wolfs go to town.
    where i live a game warden is of no concern so i may have a different prespective.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    well dang it you made it too easy.

If my family was hungry, I would shoot it and eat it. If I need money and then I knew there was a wolf pack around, I might follow it and use it as live bait. If I had no time for an elaborate wolf hunt and I was not hungry then I might tell a hungry neighbor about it or just let it die on it's own. Risk vrs. reward.
    yes. i do like the ideal of wolf bait.

Shoot the wolves! Even if you shot it and gave the meat away the wolves would still kill and eat something else to make up for it. Use it for bait and when the wolves come shoot them.

Of course you could shoot it and gut it then use the gut pile for wolf bait and give the moose meat away. Then you've solved a lot of problems.

what would I do? Feed my sled dogs not the wolves- I would have already shot him and run him through my grinder
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mosquitomountainman View Post
    Shoot the wolves! Even if you shot it and gave the meat away the wolves would still kill and eat something else to make up for it. Use it for bait and when the wolves come shoot them.

Of course you could shoot it and gut it then use the gut pile for wolf bait and give the moose meat away. Then you've solved a lot of problems.
    i second that

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DOGMAN View Post
    what would I do? Feed my sled dogs not the wolves- I would have already shot him and run him through my grinder
    here,here...
    to mmm and dogman;
    THANK GOD FOR GOOD OLE' MONTANA FOLK!
    isn't it strange how we think alike
    yes, use the gut pile as bait and collect yourselve a few nice wolf pelts.
    killing two birds with one stone. damn wolfs

I married a gal with thirteen brothers and sisters. what's the chance one of them could use some meat.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    I would do the same as Crash.

Not me, nope not where Alaskan Survivalist lives. If it was my yard it would be OK. But where he lives, most likely $1,500.00 fine, loss of the firearm or bow used, loss of car or truck used to transport it, loss of hunting lic. for two to five years. Forty years ago maybe, but not today.

I would want to put it down somehow.

What to do with it after the fact is irrelevant since an injured animal will end up as food for something (people, animal, or just decomp for plants). The question is what to do about a suffering animal, not what to do with the carcass of a suffering animal.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I view myself as an ethical hunter and without reading any of the other posts, I think I'd have to put the animal out of it's suffering. If you are worried about waste, send what you don't want to me, like skins and horns, and I'm sure someone in your community would love to have the meat. It's probably the decision I'd make being he was in my yard, but laws might be different here...

The other way of looking at it, is that "the universe is unfolding as it should". Whether by action or inaction, nature will take it's course. Weigh the value of the wolf packs with the sustainability.. do they need the meat as badly as the family down the road??

Since it's out of season, I'd have this hang heavy on my head.. at least for a few minutes. I'd have to say, the thought that would tip the scales for me is if someone in my community needed it worse than the wolves and buzzards.

Dang, As! Your one smart guy! Lol. What a great way to put the "I'd only kill if Im starving" people on the spot! I'm from a moose state also and, while I cant know more then what you said about the leg I'd guess it's at least 50/50 that this guy will make spring, especially with the mild(by comparison) weather you have in your part of the state so I'd watch him go and wish him well...circle of life.

Banned

I think you should make friends with the moose,, Heal its leg,, put a saddle on it and ride it to the bar

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I think you should make friends with the moose,, Heal its leg,, put a saddle on it and ride it to the bar
    Alright, I change my vote and second this idea! I think we should all come to a consensus on this, and have AS video the entire saga of him befriending then taming and finally training the moose! Great Idea JC
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen