Thread: 10 Essentials update & upgrade.

Blog Entries

Cool 10 Essentials update & upgrade.

Since the 1930s The Mountaineers have always listed the "10 Essentials that you should always carry when out & about. Lately there also has been added the "10 Essential Systems" that you need to also know about:

http://www.mountaineersbooks.org/cli...Essentials.cfm

Enjoy!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Cool Just wonderin'...

I've always thought more should be added to the list, any of you feel that way?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

A space blanket or poncho would be nice.

A Bear Grylles knife and his complete series on DVD is all you need.

Sorry Sarge I couldn't help myself.

Blog Entries

Cool Yeah, well...

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post

I'm sorry too, I'm just going to have to ban you for that...as soon as I get off the floor from laughing! Oh, my sides hurt!
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

I don't go anywhere out in the desert without my Glock...but that's just me.

I understand the value of sun protection, but as an essential it loses me. I would much rather have one of those space blankets or a good rope (paracord) over sun protection. Just based on percentage of the earth, the majority of places you might get lost in aren't in areas where severe sun exposure is an issue. I mean, I live on Long Island (North East USA) and I work outside all summer. I wear a hat, thats it.

Also, if I'm in an area where sun is an issue, I can use a bit of that extra clothing to fashion a hat and cover more of my body with if needed (including protecting my eyes).

I mean, its easier to evade the sun when needed than it is to make a reliable rope in most areas.

Also, shouldn't sun screen be included in the first aid supplies so it seems redundant (a hat should be included in your clothing essentials as well).

Granted, preperation for the area you are in is first and foremost on be properly prepared. If I am going somewhere where I know the sun is an issue, then I will make damn sure that sunscreen is in my first aid kit. If I'm going to the poconos, it doesn't matter if I forget it.

So what do ya all think the best # 9 would be ?

( hanging head in shame sorry had to say it)
    I Wonder Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze these dangly things here, and drink what ever comes out?"

First, remember the list was made by the mountaineers, you know, people who climb mountains with snow on the top year round. Anyways, the systems list pretty much covers it all, including the added suggestion of others here. I think their systems list pretty much covers everything, and more.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

And no list will be perfect in all environments. It does however offer a good basis for a broad range of climes. The rest is up to us.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Would that be your basic "number 2"?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

How about just Bear Grylls?

Can't figure out why shelter and water aren't near the top of the original list. At least they made it onto the "systems" list. I think I would include something for signaling or communication.

You can make your own shelter and find water in most environments so it isn't something you have to take with you.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.