Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Old Sword

Banned

Default My Old Sword

Here are a couple pics of my old Knights of Pythias sword,,

First a little background
    http://www.phoenixmasonry.org/masoni...of_pythias.htm

The sword is from the late 1800's i think,,

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Sorry, I dont know how to take better pics yet,,,,

anyway, this sword was handed down to me,, But, I never knew the guy how owned it as he was my Grandmothers sisters brother in law,, or something like that,, anyway, it has zero sentimental value so I think I will sell it on ebay or something,, they are going for around 500 dollars last I checked,, and this one is very rare as it has a whistle built into the handle,,,

Thanks for looking
    Last edited by Justin Case; 01-05-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: correction

$500 dollars is a pretty good price. Many of those fraternal organization dress swords are practically worthless.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    $500 dollars is a pretty good price. Many of those fraternal organization dress swords are practically worthless.
    The highest one i see there now is 395 but it doesnt have the whistle http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trk...All-Categories

this is the first time in a few years that i looked for one on ebay,,

I'll give you $10. I need a good Ninja sword. I'll just tell everyone it's a katana. That will be impressive.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yours isnt very old IMO. I dont know much at all about swords and even less about the organization but the ones with value are made in NY and show age. Yours is stamped Germany and the design looks electro-etched.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Yours isnt very old IMO. I dont know much at all about swords and even less about the organization but the ones with value are made in NY and show age. Yours is stamped Germany and the design looks electro-etched.
    I know its from the late 1800 because I know its history , who's it was,, Thats his name on it,, also the detail work is kind raised,, I can feel the detail if i run my finger over it,, (shut up 2d !)

This is the other side, (sorry, crappy pics)

Last edited by Justin Case; 01-05-2011 at 09:06 PM.

I'd have it looked at by someone who knows better than I would know..I still dont think it has much age. I'm working on downloading some pics of a sword I own that was made 1819.

Banned

I'd have it looked at by someone who knows better than I would know..I still dont think it has much age. I'm working on downloading some pics of a sword I own that was made 1819.
    this is from the late 1800's and its a ceremonial sword,, not something you would use in battle,,

http://arms2armor.com/Swords/pythias1.htm

http://faganarms.com/knightsofpythiassword-1.aspx

If is is built as rugged as it is ornamented I would keep it and learn to use it. I prefer things with a history that have survived time and think there are unseen forces shaping our world. I always think there is a reason special things find thier way to my possesion.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    this is from the late 1800's and its a ceremonial sword,, not something you would use in battle,,

http://arms2armor.com/Swords/pythias1.htm

http://faganarms.com/knightsofpythiassword-1.aspx
    Look at the patina on the blades in the pictures you just linked and look at your blade. That is why I'm suspicious. That is what I wanted to show with my sword..that and the lettering. The swords you are showing in your links are stamped lettered and your is etched.

i'm having a harder time than i expected tracking down even a date range of Cincinnati Regalia Company's importation of german swords. they definitely operated between the late 1800s and the 1950s, but a copy of this book would be handy.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

Hey, I don't have a sword,....... I think I would keep it if it was me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Banned

@ Camp, Thats a real battle sword right ? I dont know what kind of steel it is, (mine) but like i say, I know its aprox age because I know who the guy was that it was made for and he was a civil war vetran I believe

Its made by Cincinnati Regalia Co. which is listed here and other places http://swordsofamerica.com/Makers.htm

Cincinati regalia did not make swords, they where an importer, and possibly a commisioner. They imported swords; yours is from germany.

people likely to have a copy of the book i referenced, or similar material would be sword buffs, freemason and other fraternal organization buffs (think sword oriented bulletin boards), appraisers and pawn brokers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by canid View Post
    Cincinati regalia did not make swords, they where an importer, and possibly a commisioner. They imported swords; yours is from germany.

people likely to have a copy of the book i referenced, or similar material would be sword buffs, freemason and other fraternal organization buffs (think sword oriented bulletin boards), appraisers and pawn brokers.
    They probably did the detail work ? there is a forging mark on the other side,, or whatever you call it.. its a stamp of a little full face knight helmet ..

that or provided the maker with a template for the etching resist.

@ Camp, Thats a real battle sword right ? I dont know what kind of steel it is, (mine) but like i say, I know its aprox age because I know who the guy was that it was made for and he was a civil war vetran I believe

Its made by Cincinnati Regalia Co. which is listed here and other places http://swordsofamerica.com/Makers.htm
    It doesnt matter what kind of steel is to get my point...look at the examples you gave links to. All the ones of value are US made and show age. Look at the lettering on them, look at the tarnish, look at the engraving. There is patina on the blades of the ones on Ebay and the ones you showed as reference. Yours has no such patina.

Banned

It doesnt matter what kind of steel is to get my point...look at the examples you gave links to. All the ones of value are US made and show age. Look at the lettering on them, look at the tarnish, look at the engraving. There is patina on the blades of the ones on Ebay and the ones you showed as reference. Yours has no such patina.
    well i dont know what to say about that,, I know its aprox age because i know who the guy was thats name is on it "Hood" I said earlier that he was my grandmothers sisters BIL,, That was wrong, I just called my Mom and this Hood guy was my Grandmothers brother in law,, her sisters husband,,,

well i dont know what to say about that,, I know its aprox age because i know who the guy was thats name is on it "Hood" I said earlier that he was my grandmothers sisters BIL,, That was wrong, I just called my Mom and this Hood guy was my Grandmothers brother in law,, her sisters husband,,,
    When was he born? My great grandfather was born 1899..I'd have to go back 2 more generations to get to a civil war vet in my family. This sword could easily be from the late 40's or 50's and still have been owned by someone from your grandmothers generation, right?

Okay, $15 but I'm not going any higher.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.