Thread: Raising Nightcrawlers

Default Raising Nightcrawlers

Does anyone here have any experience with raising nightcrawlers?

Last summer i researched it a bit. Took a bucket with dirt, and put in 2 dozen worms. Been feeding them carrot peels and various vegtable scraps. Theyre still alive and well, but they dont seem to be breeding.

I was at the fishing shop earlier and asked the guy, and he said they dont breed very easy.... I cant help but think that he didnt want to help me too much, because he'd rather have me buy bait from him...

So does anyone know how to get them to breed? Or any information like that?
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

Turn the lights down and put on a Kenny G album.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I raised red worms years ago,, I found a guy local that sold them for 2 dollars a pound,, I bought 20 dollars worth,, 10 lbs of red worms is a LOT of worms,, I built bins and fill them with horse poop (that came from a place that the horses hadn't been wormed for awhile) and also fed them compost stuff from the kitchen,, i remember I had to water the bins every day so the worms would stay there,, I was trying to start a business selling them for bait,, I was a teenager,, I actually had them in a couple of the local liquor stores for awhile,, selling 48 worms for 1.75,, lol,, Oh,, Red worms are horny little devils,,, they had no trouble getting in the mood ,, Lots of eggs.. (which at that time were worth 1,000 dollars a cup,,,)
    Last edited by Justin Case; 01-05-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Turn the lights down and put on a Kenny G album.

bahahah

well the lights are already off because theyre supposed to be in a dark place.

as for the Kenny G album.....
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I raised red worms years ago,, I found a guy local that sold them for 2 dollars a pound,, I bought 20 dollars worth,, 10 lbs of red worms is a LOT of worms,, I built bins and fill them with horse poop (that came from a place that the horses hadn't been wormed for awhile) and also fed them compost stuff from the kitchen,, i remember I had to water the bins every day so the worms would stay there,, I was trying to start a business selling them for bait,, I was a teenager,, I actually had them in a couple of the local liquor stores for awhile,, selling 48 worms for 1.75,, lol,,

yeah red worms are supposed to be alot easier to breed.

im not sure how good those will be for fishing? arent they kindof small?
    - Greek Proverb

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post
    yeah red worms are supposed to be alot easier to breed.

im not sure how good those will be for fishing? arent they kindof small?
    Yes,, but they are great for trout and blue gill,

Never underestimate the power of Lionel!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ruDqdZn_s
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"

they can be very easy to breed if you introduce them to an outdoor compost and let them take tare of themselves.

the return might not be as high as in controlled conditions, but it's a lot less fussy.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

a couple years ago we had an outdoor box like that. We drilled a bunch of holes in the bottom for drainage. The box pretty much just turned into a giant insect and spider factory, and the worms died.
    - Greek Proverb

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I just took a bucket of nightcrawlers, dumped them at night and threw an old quilt over them, kept the quilt damp for several days then removed it and the worms had disappeared into the ground, that was 20yrs or more and still are plentiful.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

How big's the bucket. Two dozen nightcrawlers may need more space than you are giving them. They may have maxed the resources.

its like a 5 gallon bucket. I dont think its a space problem. I was reading more stuff online, and it think i have it ether too dry for reproduction, or too cold.
    - Greek Proverb