Thread: USMC test folders

Thumbs up USMC test folders

In the September issue of "Leatherneck Magazine" starting on page 54 the USMC puts "combat" folders to the test.

A gentleman by the name of Homer Brett* Was the lead on this testing program. The testing preformed by 6 US Marines.

The knives that were tested were:

1. Spartan--------------Cold Steel
    2. XM-2TS--------------Ontario Knife Co
    3. Dozier Bobcat--------K-Bar
    4. M16-14ZSF-----------Columbia River (CRNT)
    5. 200ST-----------------Zero Tolerance
    6. Griptillian------------Benchmade Knives
    7. Kalashnikov 101------Boker USA
    8. 18 Delta---------------Timberline Tactical
    9. TF-7 Trident-----------SOF
    10. Applegate-Fairbairn--Gerber Knives
    11. Endura----------------Spyderco
    12. Buck/Tops CSAR-T---Buck Knives

The Tests
    1. Cut a commercial grade cardboard sheet into a dozen pieces
    2. Cut through a 1-meter length of 1.5 mm military web straps
    3. Cut through a .5 meter length of heavy nylon-poly rope
    4. Cut through two 7/8 in hardwood dowel rods
    5. Cut through two 2x4 pine boards
    6. Stab through a Kevlar Flak jacket (without plates) 3 times
    7. Split a piece of firewood using a 2x4 as a field-expedient hammer
    8. Bury and uncover a simulated mine
    9. Open a steel can.

The article noted that the blades were sharpened with a Benchmade sharpening tool as needed.

Apparently In this testing they determined that the Kalashnikov 101--Boker USA was the overall "stellar preformer' with some minor quirks.

For further indepth information read the article.

I don't recall the article acknowledging how these knives were chosen to be tested.

* Homer Brett is a Marine veteran and the Subject Matter Expert on edged weapons for the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program. He authored the book “The Military Knife & Bayonet.”
    Last edited by Beans; 09-05-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling error
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

I carried the CRKT M16-14 for years and loved the Carson flipper. But, I changed over to the Spyderco Endura once it became available with an Emerson wave on it. I already carried a tsunami modded spyderco.

I so like the blade lines on the Kalishnikov. But, won't give up the waved knife strong side for another Carson flipper deployed knife.

Here is the article.
    http://www.leatherneckmagazine-digit...rm=folder#pg59

Just close the center dialogue and hit the minus on the left to read the article. Its a trial viewing with no sign up required.

Cool

What exactly was the purpose of the waste of US government tax money for in this test ??? Did it really require 6 to 8 marines ALL DAY to come up NO CONCLUSIONS whatsoever ??? Another military exercise in wasting our hard earned tax dollars. After reading this article twice I concluded that it told me ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It picked NO WINNERS or Losers whatsoever. I know as much now as I did before reading this jarhead report. Are the Marines afraid of upsetting some manufacturer for fear of losing their support in the future ? HEY JARHEADS … how about calling it like it is. Call a spade a spade. Give us some USEFUL facts so we can make some decisions.

Other than that, THANKS for defending our beloved country. No matter how rough my above comment sounded, and it WAS suppose to have, I still believe in and support our armed forces 110%. I was just VERY disappointed that this review … had the bark of a lamb, not a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by bfloating View Post
    What exactly was the purpose of the waste of US government tax money for in this test ??? Did it really require 6 to 8 marines ALL DAY to come up NO CONCLUSIONS whatsoever ??? Another military exercise in wasting our hard earned tax dollars. After reading this article twice I concluded that it told me ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. It picked NO WINNERS or Losers whatsoever. I know as much now as I did before reading this jarhead report. Are the Marines afraid of upsetting some manufacturer for fear of losing their support in the future ? HEY JARHEADS … how about calling it like it is. Call a spade a spade. Give us some USEFUL facts so we can make some decisions.

Other than that, THANKS for defending our beloved country. No matter how rough my above comment sounded, and it WAS suppose to have, I still believe in and support our armed forces 110%. I was just VERY disappointed that this review … had the balls of a lamb, not a Marine.
    Well,Mods..how will you handle this one?

A: Hey Bfloating, why dont you test our intro section and tell us about yourself.

B: Hey Bfloating, Why dont you review our intro section and tell us about yourself.

C: Hey Bfloating, Why not go to our intro section and give us some useful facts about yourself?

Or are you going to free style it? Lol.

First, don't post like that again. We don't "shout" on here and we keep it PG-13. You're welcome to highlight a piece of text for emphasis but there is not need to exaggerate the fonts. I've obviously changed it all and changed the offensive wording. I suggest you take some time to read the rules. I find it rather odd that you'd get so bent out of shape over an article.

I would also suggest you stop by our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. For all we know you're an 8 year old.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Well,Mods..how will you handle this one?

A: Hey Bfloating, why dont you test our intro section and tell us about yourself.

B: Hey Bfloating, Why dont you review our intro section and tell us about yourself.

C: Hey Bfloating, Why not go to our intro section and give us some useful facts about yourself?

Or are you going to free style it? Lol.
    Rick has already weighed in, but I would have chosen none of the above and would have said Before our former marines neuter you, how about stopping by the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Your choices were good though. Of course I didn't see the post pre-edit and may have just hit the ban button.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Certainly one way to make a grand entrance
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related