Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boots on the ice

Cant wait for ice fishing!...... unfortunately there has only been about a 5 min window of safeice time on my water so far this year....
    As for what do you need.... depends how much you wanna spend.... I definetley reccomend an auger.. sure power ones are nice, I just use a hand crank one though... its still pretty easy, much cheaper than a gas auger... and so so so much better than ax and pick!

Id say auger, traps, and some kind of sieve... other than that... its all in how much you either want to spend, or love ice fishing.
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Nope,not even if the ice was thick enough. Not unless I HAVE to am I getting out on ice. My luck I'd hit the only thin patch of ice for a thousand miles around.

Well i went out today, but there wasnt really enough ice to go "ice fishing" yet. Id say i went "winter fishing". I caught a couple of ice cubes, but they werent big enough, so i had to throw them back.

This weekend im going winter camping though, and its supposed to be below freezing every day, so there should be thick enough ice by the time i go.
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

Banned

i was suppose to go out today with some friends from town but the "weather was to shi$$ey", according to the wusses from town.
    damn townies
    here i (we) are living on a mountain in the middle of nowhere and they wuss out because the frekin' wind was blowing with a little snow... it's winter and ice fishing for god's sake. ugghghghg. and one of the guys is originally from MN. a city kid...

Quote Originally Posted by mountain1 View Post
    i was suppose to go out today with some friends from town but the "weather was to shi$$ey", according to the wusses from town.
    damn townies
    here i (we) are living on a mountain in the middle of nowhere and they wuss out because the frekin' wind was blowing with a little snow... it's winter and ice fishing for god's sake. ugghghghg. and one of the guys is originally from MN. a city kid...
    It's a real PITA to set up my shelter in the wind. I'm glad to have it after it's set up.

Banned

we don't have a shelter we just sit on buckets.
    and--we have a hand auger! yes i know; the stone age
    we just like to sit out there and shoot the s%$t with a few beers and hope something bites. we generally catch a few things. trout,perch, with a pike thrown in here and there.
    we just mostly catch a buzz

Here's a similar picture of mine. I've got the cheaper non quilted version. It's a typical chinese anything in that everything is made so conservative that it barely works. I may get one season out of this. After this year, I'll make my own shelter. http://http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Shelters-Sleds|/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/104561280/Clam-Base-Camp-Thermal/1083150.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffish ing-ice-fishing-shelters-sleds%2F_%2FN-1100505%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104561280%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%3BMM%3Bcat104 735880&WTz_l=SBC;MM;cat104735880;cat104561280

we don't have a shelter we just sit on buckets.
    and--we have a hand auger! yes i know; the stone age
    we just like to sit out there and shoot the s%$t with a few beers and hope something bites. we generally catch a few things. trout,perch, with a pike thrown in here and there.
    we just mostly catch a buzz
    Ice fishing on a calm sunny day is great!

We've got 18 inches of ice. I watched a big pike yesterday. I first thought it was a log. I should have had a spear.

Banned

that looks nice. no doubt about it.
    for me, part of ice fishing is just being out on the ice in the open air. i enjoy winter and cold. i think for me personally, a shellter would kinda spoil the whole 'being outdoors' thing. i don't know that's just me.
    of course we see plenty of folks with shelters and sometimes want to go 'warm up' but thats just how it goes. we just have another beer

Banned

not sure excatly how much ice is up where we go. last i heard it was around a foot and a half or so.

that looks nice. no doubt about it.
    for me, part of ice fishing is just being out on the ice in the open air. i enjoy winter and cold. i think for me personally, a shellter would kinda spoil the whole 'being outdoors' thing. i don't know that's just me.
    of course we see plenty of folks with shelters and sometimes want to go 'warm up' but thats just how it goes. we just have another beer
    Me too. I like to take my grill and cook wings.

Banned

now your talkin'. i thought about grilling steaks on the ice with my sportsmans grill last year but never did it.
    this year will be the year.

My neighbor made some pickled walleye the other day. It was outstanding! I found a recipe. Has anyone else done this and do you have a recipe?

http://http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1636,153175-227197,00.html

Banned

i love pickled fish.
    the wife and i pickled some trout a few years back just to see how it was; pretty good i must say. i don't remember the exact recipe though.
    pickled herring is on of my all time favs. i'm sure walleye is delicious. hard to go wrong there.

Let me tell you - Rebel makes some darn tasty wings!
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

well i got out on New Years (barely).we also got the warm spell here and it took away most of the ice we had accumulated .we had planned to go out on Lake St Clair but when we got there it just wasn't good so instead of going home we found a little spot and fished.not what i would call a successful trip but it was an outing.if you are bored i made a video here- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_V_XjrsfCU

You may not have gotten any big fish, but looks like enough small ones for a meal. Did you get the chair back?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks for sharing. That chair did scoot right on a cross there.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Great Video, Thanks,,,,