Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boots on the ice

Default Boots on the ice

Anyone else doing a little ice fishing?

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Me and my dad are gonna try this for the first time this weekend probably.

Anything i should know?
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Vfz_Mf9gs

Just can't bring myself to go ice fishing. They have tournies on the lake but I'm not a fan of sitting out in the wind (or in a hut) on a frozen block of ice waiting for a flag to tip. I'll stick to warmer, more uh...active...types of fishing.
    Would be a good survival skill to have though... Should look into it more.

Still waiting for temps to drop a little. Until then, I guess the ice in the beer cooler will have to do.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The ice here just isn't safe at this time. The snow we had last week, weighed the ice down, then it turned warm to boot. It is in the mid 40's today, we need a good five day's of teens to firm it up. I am ready to go as soon as it does. The warden service has put up warnings about thin ice even up north in the state.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

I spent a couple hundred hours converting an old camper into an ice shack. I got all finished, but I cheaped out on the wood stove, and the paint on the outside of the stove caught fire. Burned the whole thing to the ground. $300 shack, and about $1000 worth of tools, not to mention my ice fishing camera... Gone. So I guess the short answer is no, I won't be ice fishing this year. Maybe next year...

Thankfully, you weren't in it. Sorry to hear about the shack. That would definitely put me in a bad mood.

No ice fishing here. No ice.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    I spent a couple hundred hours converting an old camper into an ice shack. I got all finished, but I cheaped out on the wood stove, and the paint on the outside of the stove caught fire. Burned the whole thing to the ground. $300 shack, and about $1000 worth of tools, not to mention my ice fishing camera... Gone. So I guess the short answer is no, I won't be ice fishing this year. Maybe next year...
    Was there a Cold Steel Knife in there?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

i'm planning on getting out with a couple of friends in the next week or two. we go quite a bit every year.
    we mainly just catch a buzz!!

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tipacanoe View Post
    The ice here just isn't safe at this time. The snow we had last week, weighed the ice down, then it turned warm to boot. It is in the mid 40's today, we need a good five day's of teens to firm it up. I am ready to go as soon as it does. The warden service has put up warnings about thin ice even up north in the state.
    A quick, easy, and accurate way to test the thickness of ice is with a cordless drill. Mark however many inches you need to be safe on the drill bit (take a long one, obviously) with a piece of duct tape and then just keep checking the ice.
    Actions speak louder than words

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    Dang, I'm sorry to hear about your shack!

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post
    Me and my dad are gonna try this for the first time this weekend probably.

Anything i should know?
    Wear good boots.

Not yet, planning an overnighter at the end of the month though.

What type of tackle or/and bait should i use? Just the same as the summer stuff?

We're gonna be fishing on a lake (pymatuning on ohio/penn border), with crappie, walleye, and perch, etc..
    A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.
    - Greek Proverb

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Was there a Cold Steel Knife in there?
    K, crash, settle down about that, I'm getting another one.

WM, using the cordless drill sounds like the best idea I have heard of for checking the depth. I would think it is the quickest as well. Thanks, I'm going to mention it to the guy's at work in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by crimescene450 View Post
    What type of tackle or/and bait should i use? Just the same as the summer stuff?

We're gonna be fishing on a lake (pymatuning on ohio/penn border), with crappie, walleye, and perch, etc..
    How much do you want to spend? What do you have for ice fishing? As you can see this can be as complicated as you want to make it. You could start with what is available to see what you may want:http://search.gandermountain.com/?cn...Ne=1000&N=1518

ratfingys and grubs the best baits but any small jig with a grub will work but you have to try different colors minnows also work
    If i don't get some whiskey soon i'm going to die!!!!!! didn't put eough dirt down saw it right off...

I was hoping to try it this last week. But it has been too warm here lately, and none of the spots I went to had ice.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee