Thread: Carbon monoxide

Banned

Exclamation Carbon monoxide

I just seen on local news where two ladies died of carbon monoxide poisoning because they were using the oven to heat their home, Please be careful !

The U.S. Consumer Product and Safety Commission today is warning consumers about "an increased risk of carbon monoxide poisonings and fire deaths associated with the use of alternative heating and power sources."

The CPSC is urging homeowners to check every home-heating system from fireplaces to furnaces and any back-up power systems. According to the CPSC release, "heating systems were associated with an average of 32,900 fires and 200 fire deaths per year from 2004-2006. This includes local fixed heaters, portable heaters, central heating systems, and fireplaces and chimneys."

Read the full CPSC press release below, which includes safety tips to prevent CO poisoning tragedies:

CPSC Urges Caution with Heating as Winter Weather Arrives; Carbon Monoxide Deaths on the Rise

WASHINGTON, D.C. - As families look for ways to save money in tough economic times, there is an increased risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisonings and fire deaths associated with the use of alternative heating and power sources. The U. S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is urging consumers to check all home heating systems from fireplaces to furnaces, including any back-up power systems.

Heating systems were associated with an average of 32,900 fires and 200 fire deaths per year from 2004-2006. This includes local fixed heaters, portable heaters, central heating systems, and fireplaces and chimneys.

CO deaths have been on the rise since 1999. On average there were 181 unintentional non-fire deaths from carbon monoxide poisoning associated with consumer products per year from 2004-2006 compared to 123 from 1999-2001. Heating equipment and portable generators are among the top contributors to CO deaths.

Portable generator-related deaths have risen more than 400 percent in recent years from an average of about 16 deaths per year in 1999-2001 to 75 deaths per year in 2004-2006. In 2004-2006, 41 percent of consumer product-related CO deaths (an average of about 75 deaths annually) were generator-related and 35 percent (an average of 63 deaths per year) were heating system-related.

To prevent CO poisoning tragedies from occurring, CPSC urges consumers to:

* Schedule a yearly professional inspection of all fuel-burning home heating systems, including furnaces, boilers, fireplaces, wood stoves, water heaters, chimneys, flues and vents.
    * As a second line of defense, install carbon monoxide alarms meeting the requirements of UL 2034 Single and Multiple Station Carbon Monoxide Alarms or CSA 6.19 Residential Carbon Monoxide Alarming Devices in the home. Make sure the batteries are fresh and working. Replace the batteries annually at the spring or autumn time changes.
    * Activate the test button on the CO alarm monthly to ensure proper operation.
    * NEVER operate a portable gasoline powered generator in an enclosed space such as a garage, shed or crawlspace, or in the home.
    * Keep portable generators as far away from the home as possible -- away from open doors, windows or vents that could allow deadly carbon monoxide into the home.
    * Use a space heater that has been tested to the latest safety standards and certified by a nationally-recognized testing laboratory. These heaters will have the most up-to-date safety features. An unvented gas space heater that meets current safety standards will shut off if oxygen levels fall too low.
    * Do not use portable propane space heaters indoors or in any confined space unless they are specifically designed for indoor use. Always follow the manufacturer’s directions for proper use.
    * Never use gas or electric stoves to heat the home. They are not intended for that purpose and can pose a CO or fire hazard.

CPSC also urges consumers to follow these home heating safety tips to prevent fires:

* Place space heaters on a level, hard, and nonflammable surface such as a ceramic tile floor, not on rugs or carpets. Keep the heater at least three feet from bedding, drapes, furniture, and other flammable materials, and keep out of the flow of foot traffic. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
    * To prevent the risk of fire, NEVER leave a space heater on when you go to sleep or place a space heater close to any sleeping person. Turn the heater off if you leave the area.
    * Never use gasoline in a kerosene space heater. Even small amounts of gasoline mixed with kerosene can increase the risk of a fire.
    * Have fireplace flues and chimneys inspected for leakage and blockage by creosote or debris.
    * Open the fireplace damper before lighting a fire and keep it open until the ashes are cool. An open damper may help prevent build-up of poisonous gases inside the home.
    * Store fireplace ashes in a fire-resistant container and cover it with a lid. Keep the container outdoors and away from combustibles. Dispose of ashes carefully keeping them away from combustibles, dry leaves or trash.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...-the-rise.html

They were clearly using a gas stove. You can pick up a carbon monoxide detector for less than $20. Why would anyone not do that? Isn't your life and the life of your kids worth $20?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

as HVAC tech I find it amazing that folks don't heed carbon monoxide warnings. I have folks calling the office screaming because one of the techs disabled a furnace with a bad heat exchanger. All the explanation in the world doesn't get through to some of these people. I've come to the conclusion I would rather live with law suit for shutting down a dangerous furnace than live with killing somebody.

In our testing kitchen ranges put out more carbon monoxide than any other gas appliance. It's probably the reason folks are sleepy after thanksgiving dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by randyt View Post
    as HVAC tech I find it amazing that folks don't heed carbon monoxide warnings. I have folks calling the office screaming because one of the techs disabled a furnace with a bad heat exchanger. All the explanation in the world doesn't get through to some of these people. I've come to the conclusion I would rather live with law suit for shutting down a dangerous furnace than live with killing somebody.

In our testing kitchen ranges put out more carbon monoxide than any other gas appliance. It's probably the reason folks are sleepy after thanksgiving dinner.
    I think that too many people think (wrongly of course) that since it's colorless and odorless they treat it as one of those out of sight, out of mind issues.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Right on, and some of them get down right ugly!

Also keep this in mind when running heaters in tents, campers and even running your car for long periods of time.
    Every year we hear of campers dieing from CO by running some kind of heating device.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Be careful with outside propane bottles too. In our area of Montana there are still a lot of people (like us) who use 100 lb. bottles for propane. Most are set up outside next to the house. Last year the snow and ice fell off a roof of a house and broke the hose going to the propane bottle. It was night and the resident didn't know it. The leaking propane was ignited by the fire in the woodstove and exploded. It literally raised the roof off the house and of course blew out all the windows. The homeowner was okay. Her bedroom was on the other end of the house. She was very fortunate in not being injured of killed but was also homeless in January in northwestern Montana. Not a good deal!

We moved ours when we built the porch. I built the roof to overhang the propane bottle far enough we don't have to worry about ice or snow hitting it now.

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

You're talking a natural gas range right?

''Right on, and some of them get down right ugly"

yes they can, after 25 years I find my patience lacking. I blame it on the years of being on call. On call without anybody to trade off with for months on end. there wasn't anybody to trade off with. We don't charge overtime for nighttime and weekend calls either. I could tell stories that would make you ill. stories about theatrics that people will go through to screw over their fellow man. I went from a service man that went every time I was called to a guy that will fire a customer in a drop of a hat. after all the missed family functions, suppers etc and etc.I'm not talking about a few months, I'm talking years. I don't care anymore. it a shame really but the road to Hades is paved in good intentions.
    It's really my fault, when I got a call I went to help. I should have been more selective.

I could tell you about the fireman that had a gas water heater unvented in his house. he wanted to get in a fist fight with the service man. my gosh he was the chief of the fire dept. that's a minor one.

Quote Originally Posted by flandersander View Post
    You're talking a natural gas range right?

yes a natural gas range. I've tested them with a combustion analyzer and on start up a lot of them have a huge spike of CO.

What's the difference, LPG or Natural gas stove? Neither is designed to heat your home.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

We just had 5 teenagers die in a hotel room from carbon monoxide. They had a car that was having trouble starting and so they left it running in the garage under their room.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40822792/ns/us_news-life/

I read that last week. I didn't know if it was their car or not. It just said one was running. What a dumb way to go.

That one was all over the local news. Sad and senseless.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel