Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overnight winter trip

wow, your son is THE MAN. very cool pics, thanks for sharing the learning experiences also!

just throwing "survival ideas" out there for future use for everyone, not suggesting you should have done this, because you didnt have too far to haul your stuff...

But, if any of us ever gets caught in a big snow storm and have to transport some gear, and don't have a sled, or our sled isnt working because of too much powder, those blue foam sleeping pads would have worked fine as tobaggons. Rigging up a way to tow them would've been a little bit of a challenge but it could be done. Those pads are very light, and wide and long enough that they would float on the snow very easily and could haul a pretty good load.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Just to update. I finally finished a video I was making for the trip. I put it up in the original post. And, thanks Chris for making it so we can embed video.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

OK A couple of things.... First Great trip, great job, And great kids! Second, Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about "Snow Type environments".... However Is it possible that if you used wider skis (Like Water Skis) this would help your sled "Float" as you wanted/needed it to? Kind of like the difference between regular shoes and snow shoes. Or maybe even another pair mounted on the sled?
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen