Thread: Another good idea to prep

Default Another good idea to prep

Well.... found out last night that In two weeks my route is getting cut due to the declining economy. Which means either a lay off until job re-bids in mid march or working only part time.

Luckily with the wife's help and doing several side jobs I have been able to save as of last payday, the equivilent of 5 months after tax pay. So financially I'll do just fine.

So the reason for this post is to refresh everyones memory that when planning for your "emergency" preps while beans,bullets, and bandaids are very important. As is having as sourdough says "boots in the field" knowledge. Remembering to set aside finances for the "what if's" is equally important.

Before I met my wife who is saving oriented, I didn't worry about loss of income, I could/ would just find something else to do. But as I have gotten older I realize I can't job hop forever. So while at first I'll admit my wife drug me kicking and screaming into budgeting a part of my "prep fund" in a savings account.

Now I'm glad she did. It's a good feeling to know I don't have to worry about paying the bills during this down time.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Banned

I hope everything works out, I am glad you are prepared,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I hope everything works out, I am glad you are prepared,,,
    thanks Justin. As I said I can re-bid a run in march as I have seniority over 4 other people so at least I know i'll be back to work then.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier View Post
    thanks Justin. As I said I can re-bid a run in march as I have seniority over 4 other people so at least I know i'll be back to work then.
    Thats good,, I guess you can look at this as a little vacation then

I wish you the best with work! That is a great point on prep. It takes quite a bit of stress out of the already rotten situation when you know you can keep the heat and lights on and put food in you. Good luck!

First, I'm sorry the economy got you and hopefully you'll do okay when they rebid routes. Odd that they bid on the quarter but maybe that's in your contract.

Super cudos to you for the post on budgeting and saving. I've said it before but it's always worth repeating. Either you control your money or it controls you. There is no in between. If you (everyone not just O.S.) don't know how to budget your money then look it up on the internet. There are tons of resources. Budgeting is the single most important thing you can do with your finances.

Generally speaking, a six month reserve, that's enough to live on for six months, is the ideal. That can certainly vary however. If you are in a high demand job and can easily move from one employer to another then six months might not be necessary.

Anyone can save even if it's pocket change at the end of the day. If you can, add any one dollar bills you have at the end of the day.

Keep a spending diary for 30 days and write down every penny you spend and every item you buy. You will be shocked at what you are really spending your money on.

If your company offers a 401K with matching funds then by all means invest as much as you can afford. It is the single best investment vehicle available today. If your company matches up to 6% of your salary, as an example, that's like a 6% increase in salary! Who wouldn't take that? Keep in mind that, with a few exceptions, a 401K can't be touched until you are 59 1/2.

Good luck, O.S. and I hope you are back in the saddle...er, uh....truck seat in no time.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    First, I'm sorry the economy got you and hopefully you'll do okay when they rebid routes. Odd that they bid on the quarter but maybe that's in your contract.

Super cudos to you for the post on budgeting and saving. I've said it before but it's always worth repeating. Either you control your money or it controls you. There is no in between. If you (everyone not just O.S.) don't know how to budget your money then look it up on the internet. There are tons of resources. Budgeting is the single most important thing you can do with your finances.

Generally speaking, a six month reserve, that's enough to live on for six months, is the ideal. That can certainly vary however. If you are in a high demand job and can easily move from one employer to another then six months might not be necessary.

Anyone can save even if it's pocket change at the end of the day. If you can, add any one dollar bills you have at the end of the day.

Keep a spending diary for 30 days and write down every penny you spend and every item you buy. You will be shocked at what you are really spending your money on.

If your company offers a 401K with matching funds then by all means invest as much as you can afford. It is the single best investment vehicle available today. If your company matches up to 6% of your salary, as an example, that's like a 6% increase in salary! Who wouldn't take that? Keep in mind that, with a few exceptions, a 401K can't be touched until you are 59 1/2.

Good luck, O.S. and I hope you are back in the saddle...er, uh....truck seat in no time.
    Thanks Rick and everyone else... Actually the bid isn't quarterly. It's yearly and the second week of march is when we do our yearly bids. Don't know why it's march but it's been that way for 20 years according to people that have been there that long. As I said I've got enough seniority to take a run then.

Good luck Don. As you say, economic preps can be as important as a all others.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel