Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: blackout curtains

Space rays. Duh! Where have you been? The hat is useful when driving to keep cell phone radiation from melting your ear. That's almost as hazardous as space rays.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Space rays. Duh! Where have you been? The hat is useful when driving to keep cell phone radiation from melting your ear. That's almost as hazardous as space rays.
    I don't need the hat... No cell phone, so no need to protect me from that. Besides Aluminum won't protect from radiation.... you need lead for that! Can you imagine the Neck muscles of the person wearing a Lead hat? Old Arnold would be a pencil necked Geek in comparison!

Doh! Radiation is radio waves, too. You know, it's just a good thing you have me as Minister of Science. A lesser man would let you hurt yourself.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Poco - you are taking us entirely too seriously.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

My tin foil hat has capacitors and diodes wired in series for that and for selective hearing
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

There is a danger in that, too.

Selective hearing is probably the best camouflage mankind ever invented. It has kept us from having to do all kinds of work. A bad memory is equally good.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Poco - you are taking us entirely too seriously.
    LOL No... but someone out there will!!

Man Rick your fast, one post to the next
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

I have to be fast. I do two shows nightly.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

You can always tell the newbies up here where we have 24 hours of light in the summer. They all have tin foil over their windows. After a while you get used to it. I used to never be able to sleep with any type of light on, even a small night light down the hall. Now I darkish curtains but they by no means block out all the light. I sleep just fine. It's all what you get used to.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Well, you posted a serious question and we destroyed the thread. Okay, back to the OP. I don't use them. I do have some room darkening blinds but, like others, it's for the benefit of sleep. If you consider the environment you outlined do you think you are the only one left behind and your neighbors won't be burning lights too (rhetorical)? Whatever happens to you happens to everyone. Whatever you do to survive everyone else will have to do as well. If the curtains make you feel better/safer then by all means invest in them.

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    I sleep just fine. It's all what you get used to.
    I also find this to be true in my experience. When in the military and living in the Barracks I could sleep through "normal conversations and activity" But if someone was trying to "Sneak" I was instantly awake.
    Also we learned to sleep in unusual places/circumstances. Like with a Parachute and full Combat gear strapped to your body. No way to lay down, but you just sorta' "slump" inside all that gear and go to sleep..... Kinda' like in this picture.....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

You can train your body and mind in more ways than most would imagine. Usually we do this and just assume we are "Just getting used to it". But it can be done.

Use a version of blackout curtains, more like blankets as a energy saver, back during the old enegery crisis in that late 70's and 80's.

Worked ok, I like it dark, but after a while we just sorta didn't use them much anymore.

Now, tin foil windows, that's an idea.....hummmmm
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    Also we learned to sleep in unusual places/circumstances... Kinda' like in this picture.....

Or like in this one?

I literally live on the hill, in the center of my town. EVERYONE knows where the house is and can see it from everywhere. If we didn't want anyone to know we were here but had to use lights...we would be a beacon to everyone in town. KNOWING some of the people here...don't need them tapping on my door or trying to get in. I've got a little one worry about. I won't lie, I've TOTALLY thought of having those types of things for my front windows both upstairs and down...but I'm not fond of the way they look. LOL!! Yeah...I'm a girly-girl in that regard.
    I've just gotten a roll of black plastic, duct tape, and some staplers as a just in case...plus all that stuff can be used for a LOT of other things. (stapling my son to the floor when he gets out of hand (JOKE), slip and slide (NOT a joke...HEY it's FUN), duct tape...need I say more?)
    The key to immortality is not having a life worth living, but living a life worth remembering.
    - St. Augustine

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have.
    - Thomas Jefferson

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kris-C...6355540?ref=nf
    www.etsy.com/shop/KrisAndChrisPlaques
    www.politicsbykrista.blogspot.com

Poco, that is how I learned how to fall asleep in church. Also, at Basic, I fell asleep on a road march and woke up still marching in line. I was probably only a sleep for a second.

I haven't tried blackout blinds/drapes, but I plan to get some really thick ones. Mostly for insulation to save on heating and cooling.

By the way Rick, I have a black box room. The out side is covered in tin foil to reflect the space rays, and the inside is super absorbent and won't let any bounce around or escape. What kind of absorbent you may ask....depends.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

Anyone has any experience and can chime in with whether need to get blackout curtains or is semi-blackout enough for Malaysia? No need to be in total darkness and look like Malam gelap type, just enough to have like wearing sunglasses indoors

I've used "Blackout" for years. But never purchased blackout curtains. There's plenty of things you can use that are cheap or free.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Yep. If you line up spam cans end to end, no light will get through.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Just use black paint....

Alan