Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: blackout curtains

Default blackout curtains

I did a search to see if it's been discussed before, but didn't see it.
    I bought some blackout curtains to try and they are great. You cannot tell a light is on in the room. Anyone here use them?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I have them on half the house. Only two windows on that side and one in the back/side.

My use is more for sleep assistance than security. Anyone casing the place can count the vehicles and tell if I am home.

If I see trouble comming the lights are going out, not comming on. I am old school, "the darkness is my friend".
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I was talking for SHTF use. If you use your oil lamps they'll know you have "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by linkmissing View Post
    I was talking for SHTF use. If you use your oil lamps they'll know you have "stuff".

Who is THEY?

If you are alive and breathing THEY know you have stuff!

Perhaps THEY should be concerned that I know THEY are out there. At one time of my life my job was to create diversions, attract THEM and ambush them when they came to check things out.

If you are using oil lamps you are attempting to deny the realism of your situation SHTF. Why do you suppose the old folks used to rise at daylight and go to bed when the sun set?

You are fighting loss of the old system and wasting rescources. Turn the lights off and go to bed!

I put them up once and stumbled around in the dark for two days before I could find a door. Even then I ran into it. Had to take them down. My toes were taking a beating.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I have them in the bedroom for sleeping purposes. I have to work through the nights from sometimes and it is much easier for me to sleep during the day if the room is dark.

I don't plan for a situation where I will be concerned about "they" and light shinning through the windows. If that situation were to come to pass, there would be no white lights on, as it would inhibit my night vision - but yeah - mostly sleeping.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Who is THEY?

If you are alive and breathing THEY know you have stuff!

Perhaps THEY should be concerned that I know THEY are out there. At one time of my life my job was to create diversions, attract THEM and ambush them when they came to check things out.

If you are using oil lamps you are attempting to deny the realism of your situation SHTF. Why do you suppose the old folks used to rise at daylight and go to bed when the sun set?

You are fighting loss of the old system and wasting rescources. Turn the lights off and go to bed!
    I just asked this question on another site, so some of you may have seen my answer on the other one.

Not having experienced true disasters. I have a way of thinking about TEOTWAWKI. I see it as having different levels of preparedness. Kinda like the fire danger levels: green yellow, red. This by no means may be an accurate way of thinking about it, but it's the best way for me to envision it.

Green would be something like: earthquake, longer blackouts, short-med. length/term disaster (days - weeks). Society is intact. Eventually things will get back to normal but people are scared but not really much danger to life and property.

Yellow would be more dramatic like: pandemic, terrorism, med.-long length/term disaster of disruption. (weeks - months) Things may or may not be different afterward. There is danger to life and property but society is semi intact.

Red would be complete disruption of normalcy for the long term. Danger is wide ranging, society is in complete chaos.

I see my curtains as being for green and yellow.
    Red would need alot more than flimsy curtains.

Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    I have them in the bedroom for sleeping purposes.
    I just cover the bedroom windows up with tin foil.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.

Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    That's an idea. It would match what I already have on the walls!

Quote Originally Posted by oly View Post
    I think I'd like that more then my wife! I've heard of using it, but have never tried foil.

The real danger with using foil is if the space signals get inside they just bounce around and can't go anywhere. Remember to leave the bedroom door ajar so they have a place to escape.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    The real danger with using foil is if the space signals get inside they just bounce around and can't go anywhere. Remember to leave the bedroom door ajar so they have a place to escape.
    Then would you recommend a foil hat that covers the eyes instead?

How will you see it coming?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I made a sleeping bag out of foil. That way if the space rays do get in I'm protected until I have to go pee. Now, and stay with me on this, the bag is like a burrito. I can actually walk without getting out of it. I can open the door as a walk by, let the rays out of the room, do what I need to do, close the door and go back to bed. Sweet huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Camp10 View Post
    Then would you recommend a foil hat that covers the eyes instead?
    Just one question.... Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    Just one question.... Huh?
    Looks like the alien mind sucking rays have penetrated. You didn't leave the door open too wide did you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The hat is handy when you're driving.

So is E.T. phoning home from the bedroom? What rays?

I just knew the hat thing would come up LOL.
    A mouse ate a hole in my lumpy chair.