Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Survivalist Communities and Clubs???

60 is just an average. our last pandemic was the spanish flu of 1917. it killed 50 million in 6 months. As to where i get my info it is advanced disaster life support ADLS, MCI drills, continuing training in the casualty transport system CTS,I mean its not like i'm on any sort of special response team or anything.
    "A hero never lives forever, but a coward never lives"
    EMT Instructor

Blog Entries

Cool Well now...

Quote Originally Posted by mcfd45 View Post
    60 is just an average. our last pandemic was the spanish flu of 1917. it killed 50 million in 6 months. As to where i get my info it is advanced disaster life support ADLS, MCI drills, continuing training in the casualty transport system CTS,I mean its not like i'm on any sort of special response team or anything.
    1917 was a lot longer than 60 years ago, & what was before that? The black plague? they didn't have anywhere near the medical science back then that we have today. I'm playing "devil's advocate with you for a reason. Did you read Stephen King's: "The Stand"? A group of military scientists devise a "Super-Flu virus" as a weapon's grade germ warfare agent, but it gets away from them. One guard at the gate decides he isn't going to stay there so he splits; runs home, grabs his family, infecting them as well, then proceeds to help spread the virus all over the place. That's why the towns get locked down, to stop the spread of infection/contamination. Better a few should die than millions...or so the theory goes. Let's face it, if you caught the bug, you're going to die anyway, why kill others? Besides, there are other things that can spread across the country as well, like paranoia.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    1.) What would it take for a complete GLOBAL breakdown to occur, not just in America as then other countries would want to come in & take over?

:
    Besides my "paranoid" answer, anybody else have an answer for this question.
    EMT Instructor

What you describe is something that I am planning to set up in the next couple of years after my nomad lifestyle is over and I have learned the skills to function off the land. I'm hoping that the Shadoran community will grow a bit more by then to support me as Shadoran its still an emerging concept. It would be nice to have one on each nation wouldnt it?

Actually the last meeting I was on said that with modern travel, the amount of face to face meetings, and the vast majority of people now living in cities, a pandemic would/could be 2-3 times as bad as the 1917 flu was. I did not get a chance to ask where the statics came from, but it was a provincial lecture I was attending....This is not just deaths, it is sickness as well, and yes, maybe I am a bit paranoid, but I do have N95 compatible masks in my kit.

Corndog-44 wrote:I'm a dead man walking...I just don't know it. Back in 1944 when I was born we had no electricity. People today are living without it. All of our early ancestors lived without it. Damn the electricity went out...Hey hon, did ya pay the electric bill?
    You are right Corndog, but there are a LOT of people that would not know what to do or how to act without electricity. They are so accustomed to having everything at their finger-tips that without elec. for an extended period of time, there would be, most likely, a general state of panic.

Then there are those would would take advantage of the situation. Looters, rapists, muggers, etc. With the occurrence of rising crimes (especially at night) people would become more paranoid and incidents of random killings would rise under the guise of "I was afraid they (who ever they shot) was going to kill, rob, rape me", so I shot to protect me/my family.

So, when there is a breakdown of, what most consider, the basics, there surely will be a breakdown of society and those who would take advantage!
    Everything I have posted is pure fantasy. I have not done any of the things that I have claimed to have done in my posts. I actually live in Detroit.

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

Besides my "paranoid" answer, anybody else have an answer for this question.
    Well, in keeping with the "no politics/no religion" rule, I'll just say that - hypothetically -if millions of people were to instantly disappear from all around the world, the SWHTF, resulting in TEOTWAWKI, big time!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Here's something to think about since this seems to be a spin-off of my earlier thread "Did you ever stop to consider..." Ask yourself the following questions:

1.) What would it take for a complete GLOBAL breakdown to occur, not just in America as then other countries would want to come in & take over?
    Wall Street has a saying: "When America sneezes, the world gets a cold." America is seen as a financial and industry leader, hence the saying.
    Last edited by bulrush; 03-05-2009 at 10:17 AM.

One word. Pandemic

We average a pandemic every 60 years. We are WAY overdue. With our modern means of transportation a somalian could sneeze at noon and by midnight it could be on the guy serving me a whopper.
    I have to disagree here. I think your data is mostly based on the time before antibiotics and modern plumbing. Many of the "pandemics" were based entirely on poor health and sewage issues. Like cholera epidemics in highly concentrated cities. Bubonic plage (multiple instances).

We (western countries including the US) have most bacterial issues under control via prevention and planning. So the biggest threat right now are mutant viruses, like bird flu, and bad influenza, or terrorists with smallpox. In Mar 2008 and Feb 2009, I had a bad case of the flu. I stayed home from work all week in both cases. Now that's very unusual for me. The last time that happened to me was 20 years ago. And in both years (2008, 2009) I had my flu shot in October.

Just goes to show you the flu shot does not always hit a bullseye for prevention. They can only put 4-5 variations of the flu in the shot for some reason.
    Last edited by bulrush; 03-05-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wildography View Post
    ...if millions of people were to instantly disappear from all around the world, the SWHTF, resulting in TEOTWAWKI, big time!
    Sorry. I can't stay away from those bean burritos!

For the H5N1 virus there is no antibiotics, or any thing else to prevent it, yet. This is just one of many virus that are being look at as a possible pandemic. There are a lot of antibiotic resistant strains out there now. That is one of the reasons it is so hard to get certain antibiotics now.
    We have the problem of sanitation under control, at least to our standards, here, but in other parts of the world, no they don't. It is to easy to catch a disease or virus in any number of countries and bring it back with you. The worst of it is with modern transportation, it can be here before you even realize you are sick, thus you do not even know you are a carrier.

One thing most people don't know is that we have no remedy for a virus. Antibiotics are only good for bacterial infections. Yes it is true we do have antivirals, but you must take them within a very short time from exposure (less than 48 hours). Most viruses show no symptoms within the first 48. antivirals also beat the living snot out of you. you are tired, weak, lazy, fatigued, etc. I have taken antivirals for work exposures and let me tell you by the 4th day you begin to think whatever bug you rubbed up on might not be to bad. We do have drug resistant bacteria now, and it is making it extremely hard to cure the infections. so please make sure you take ALL the pills in your antibiotic prescription.
    Jeff
    EMT Instructor

trying to go with the original topic...

For the money you'd pay joining a community you could in theory buy some land out in the wilderness, in most places that land is pretty cheap because you're so far off from the cities. There are parts of doing that that would not be good for everyone. One of the reasons I haven't pursued a cabin in the middle of the woods is the fact of school districts, I for one don't want to give the government a reason to come in and take my kids because they're not learning "what they need to learn".

Now to the topic that this thread has come to, I honestly think the biggest "plague" to hit the world is indifference. For the most part in society, your an outcast if you don't really care to drive the SUV with the spinning rims, or if you don't want to live in a 20 room mansion. People don't care to cut down acres of wilderness to build condos, or pave the forests so we can get to the next state an hour quicker. In our grand attempt to give ourselves and our children these great lives, we are starving our grandchildren before they're even here. Or I guess in some of our cases starting our great-grandchildren.

As usual, it's my opinion, take it or leave it.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

This is a topic near and dear to my heart. I started relatively successful group called the New District Colony. After getting a core group of people we took to calling our selves the NewDist Colony of the Midwest.

For some reason nekkid Germans kept showing up which forced us to close down the society To this day we still can't figure out how it went so wrong

Now that there’s funny, I don’t care who you are. God bless the little pygmies in New Guinea.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Oh man...had to read it twice...funny!

Nekkid Germans, huh? Sort of gives that old salute a new twist doesn't it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    That's because you haven't gone to the Introduction section of the forum and done a proper introduction.
    Classic
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    <<scribbles in notebook - under "Reasons not to eat in fast food joint>> Guy in fast food joint potentially contaminated.
    Dang! You are a funny cat (I mean wolf)!
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)