Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Easy Dutch Oven Recipes WANTED!

Cornbread? There was Cornbread there?

Yes any and all tips and recipes are welcomed. Even though I may know how to season/re-season cast Iron, someone else may not..... so anything you can offer to help this thread and others is Greatly appreciated.

Default seasoning

This is pretty close to the way I season a piece of salvaged cast iron. The author uses the same steps with one exception..they suggest Vegetable shortening for one step and I would always use lard or bacon fat for that step. If you are seasoning a new pot or pan, jump to step 9.

http://curbly.com/chrisjob/posts/167...-cookware#jump

Poco - you do realize of course that we are all now expecting some great dutch oven treats from you at the next jamboree don't you?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Poco - you do realize of course that we are all now expecting some great dutch oven treats from you at the next jamboree don't you?
    LOL I was talking to Dottie about that very thing Today!! Said " You watch... now I'll have to get enough Dutch Ovens to cook enough for an entire meal for everyone." But Baby steps first.... Let's see...1 for pie,1 for cobbler, 1 for cake, 1 for bread, a really big one for the Entree(12 Qt/16")..... HOLY SMOKES!! at this rate I'm gonna' need a bigger truck or a better suspension at least!!

Here's how you do it, Poco. We expect big things now.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Here's how you do it, Poco. We expect big things now.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    I've waited a couple of years for my FIRST Dutch Oven... Might be a while before I can get 6!!!

Well I guess I got an "Extra". It seems that my Dutch oven also came (or was SUPPOSED to have come) with a small booklet from Lodge. It arrived just the other day. Included in this booklet is care, tips, and RECIPES!!! Already wanting 2 more Dutch ovens... 1 bigger and 1 smaller! LOL

Ribs go in a smoker and then on a grill. But other than that the following is acceptable in a pinch.

1 Onion, chopped
    1 Cup Carrot, chopped
    3 cloves Garlic chopped
    3 tablespoons Olive oil
    1-2 Rack baby back ribs, cut in half, salted, peppered, rubbed.

Cover with barbecue sauce. Cook on "low" 4-6 hours. Ribs are done when they pull back from bone 1/4" on each side.

Don't know the recipe; but I stumbled upon some guys making Shepherd's Pie in a Dutch Oven many years ago.. Although I do remember ----- WOW!!!!!!!
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Default Mountain Man Breakfast

Okay the very first recipe in the Lodge cookbook that came with the DO. I have seen this same one listed elsewhere on the web some with bacon some with sausage. Don't see why you couldn't do it with ham for that matter.

2 lbs sausage
    2 lbs hash browns
    8 eggs
    1/4 cup water
    spice to taste
    2 cups cheese ( I used colby jack)

This is super simple, and good too (I'm eating it right now as I type it in).Brown the sausauge remove from Dutch Oven(I used my 12" cast Iron skillet for this as I was cooking inside), Brown the hash browns in the sausage grease(My sausage was kinda' lean, so I had to add some Bacon grease)

Place the Hash browns in Bottom of Dutch oven.
    Layer the sausage crumbles over the Hash Browns.
    Whip the eggs with the water added and pour this over all.
    Sprinkle the cheese over top of this in an even layer.
    Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
    Serve and enjoy!!

Dutch ovens are the greatest camping implement since the knife and axe.
    As for recipes, there are numerous books out on do cooking and Lodge and other maker's have lots of info on their web sites.
    But, if you have a favorite recipe, or recipes in a cookbook, just remember that a 12" do will handle any recipe that calls for a 9"X13" pan or casserole. For temperatures, figure about 25 deg. F. for each pair of charcoal briquettes, one on top, one on the bottom. Use more on bottom than top, and put them evenly around the edges and around middle, not in the middle.
    Wherefore, let us be thankful that there are still thousands of cool, green nooks beside crystal springs, where the weary soul may hide for a time, away from debts, duns and deviltries, and a while commune with nature in her undress. ~ George W. “Nessmuk” Sears ~