View Poll Results: Was the guy wrong to kill the bear in the den?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he was wrong

29 58.00%
  • No

16 32.00%
  • Undecided

5 10.00%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Hunter shoots bear in its Den!

I was born rural, and have bounced back and forth between rural and urban. I much prefer rural. Now that my family and I can choose where we live, we are in a more rural area.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I grew up in a world half way between urban and rural.

I wouldn't "hunt" a beer in it's den.
    I don't hunt bear anyway, but the whole deal seems unfair to me.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Blog Entries

Guy is a chicken****. Shoot a bear in it's den, if'n he had any gonads he would have gone in there with a Kabar or bowie and killed him like a man.

Another case of killing an animal to compensate for his little peepee.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    I wouldn't "hunt" a beer in it's den.
    I don't hunt bear anyway, but the whole deal seems unfair to me.
    Not sure if you meant BEER in its den but I think many an American man hunts down the elusive beer in his Man Cave or den.

And I won't respond to some of the more unfriendly posts in this thread....

Wish more would vote. In another busy forum way over 200 have voted with a little over 80% voting that the guy was wrong to kill the bear in its den.

I have little time since I am posting in one of Greeley, CO libraries and only have a few minutes left on this high speed computer.

If he had tracked it and found it sleeping or eating on a mountainside and shot it most people would be fine with that. I have a difficult time seeing anything wrong with killing it in it's den. It couldn't have been in there too long if he could still find the tracks leading in so it was probably not in hibernation yet.

The only bear I ever shot I found curled up asleep under a tree. If I could have shot it sleeping I would have. I was so close all I could see in the scope was fur. It was just a big black ball of fur. I couldn't even tell where it's head was. When I cocked the rifle (Marlin 336 in 35 Remington) the bear took off walking. As soon as he turned broadside I shot him. He was about 20 yards away at that time. I was within ten feet of him when he was sleeping.

I did everything "fair" according to the books. I was walking an old logging road in the woods (not road hunting in a vehicle) wearing the legal amount of orange with a legal rifle and specifically hunting bears. If he was sleeping when I found him that was his problem.

I have a bit of a problem with attaching "sport" to hunting. Taking even an animal's life is not a "sport" in my book. There is the concept of "fair chase" but then sniping at an animal from ambush 100 or more yards away doesn't seem all that fair either. If you want to make it fair take him bare handed or with a rock.

Game laws are (or should be) there to protect the wildlife as a resource and should be obeyed in that respect. I hunt. I tend to obey the law. I take killing very seriously but at least when I eat game taken in the wild I have the satisfaction knowing that it was wild and free up until the moment I killed it. I hunt for the challenge and for the meat. I also have a problem with people who are against hunting but still eat meat. In my book that's hypocritical.

Any way you look at it the bear had a lot better chance at living than some cow confined in a pasture from the time of its birth, loaded into a truck and hauled off to the packing plant.
    Last edited by mosquitomountainman; 01-05-2011 at 02:08 PM.

I don't truly care if many think the hunter was right or wrong in shooting the bear in the den.
    I might do it IF I and my people were starving, needed a good bear coat etc.

But I would rather let sleeping bears lie... or something like that unless attacked. Which I have always seen black bears run away never threaten.

And I made this poll so people could vote anonymously, I don't want to see who votes which way.
    Last edited by Mtnman Mike; 01-06-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Jeeze - are you just trying to stir up crap now? You've got your poll - quit jabbing sticks in an open sore.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Is there a full moon or did the lunar eclipse just play havoc with the collective psyche?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Personally I dont think Mike was trying to stir anything up, he was just commenting on his thread, IMO,,,, He cannot stay online for long periods of time so he kind of pops in and out, i doubt he has been following the forum closely enough to see whats gone on in other threads of late,,,, He has talked to me in PM about this thread and he stated that it interested him because he had posted the same thing elsewhere with different results,

I'll bet he found a kinder, gentler murdering heathen on the other forums didn't he?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I'll bet he found a kinder, gentler murdering heathen on the other forums didn't he?
    I have no idea,,, i think he said he posted it on survivalistboard,, I am banned from there because I dont like the saints LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Personally I dont think Mike was trying to stir anything up, he was just commenting on his thread, IMO,,,, He cannot stay online for long periods of time so he kind of pops in and out, i doubt he has been following the forum closely enough to see whats gone on in other threads of late,,,, He has talked to me in PM about this thread and he stated that it interested him because he had posted the same thing elsewhere with different results,
    Well JIC, he edited his post about 30 minutes after I responded to his post. Trust me - he has been reading all of the ethics in hunting posts, and his post, while maybe not intentionally, was stirring the pot.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well JIC, he edited his post about 30 minutes after I responded to his post. Trust me - he has been reading all of the ethics in hunting posts, and his post, while maybe not intentionally, was stirring the pot.
    ohhh,,,, I gotcha,, okeedokee,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Is there a full moon or did the lunar eclipse just play havoc with the collective psyche?

I don't know, but it seems like this forum has taken a turn for the worse, again, since it happened. I think it's because folks have too much time on their hands and aren't getting out as much due to the cold or something myself.

Lots of topics and replies posted lately to try and get a rise out of folks. It shows how hurtful some are in their side talking and dominant submissive ways. I'm not talking about mtnman Mike, Batch, hunter63, JIC, mosqitomountainnman, aflineman, dogman, FVR, camp10 or poco either.

There's 3 or 4 very vocal members on this forum who are always looking to cause trouble and get folks panties in a bunch, you know who you are.

As far as the bear goes I personally would have felt no joy in sneaking up on anything and killing it while it slept, but that's just me. I certainly wouldn't have felt I was more of a man for doing it and you'd never catch me bragging about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Thanks Justin / Scott. I do lurk mostly but after I saw the Klickatat's posts here and the one thread he made with a poll I just quickly posted something not tooo nice about shooting fawns etc. His thread was locked so I just wanted to make one post about it.

I deleted the "offensive" words since I regret making that post.
    I do have one or two other places to post in but I don't really feel like posting anywhere nor do I have a lot of time to read everything and post a lot.

I should probably just stick to my pic threads which quite a few in 3 different groups have mostly liked.

I might post more in this good wilderness group but I will see how much time I do have.

Post anywhere that you like Mike. I was just trying to maintain the civility here, and I do appreciate you editing your post.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Post anywhere that you like Mike. I was just trying to maintain the civility here, and I do appreciate you editing your post.
    Ok and thanks.

If I don't post much anymore it is not because I am mad at anyone, in this group anyway. It is sorta ridiculous getting angry at people on the internet anyway.

I do have another thread or two I can make but my home pc is slow with only dialup. I can hardly even check my yahoo email with it.
    I can lurk after downloading pages though.

So I am right now at one of Greeley, Coloradica's 3 nice libraries which these libraries are where I made my pic threads with their high speed computers although I only get a little over an hour per day at these library computers.

later,,, MMMike

Everyone has their own ideas about what is fair and what is not.

Like politics or religion we all seem to be pretty zealous on our respective positions, but in the end, it comes down to what you will or will not do.

Trying to convivce anyone else of your position has pertty much the same result. No change in opinion.

So, I would not do it, don't really care who knows it, I was asked my opinion, that is what it is.
    I don't shoot ducks early or deer at night either.

My beer is always close, don't need a den for that......LOL
    Carry on......
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
    ...I should probably just stick to my pic threads which quite a few in 3 different groups have mostly liked.

I might post more in this good wilderness group but I will see how much time I do have.

I like your posts and figured you fell off the face of the earth until you posted this.