View Poll Results: Was the guy wrong to kill the bear in the den?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes he was wrong

29 58.00%
  • No

16 32.00%
  • Undecided

5 10.00%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunter shoots bear in its Den!

Blog Entries

To go a bit more on the history side again, the reason bear was hunted here in the den for such a long period of time was respect and fear. Not fear as in "omg scary beast", but more like "it can rip me to pieces, such a magnificent animal" kind of fear. What is greater sign of respect than not even dearing to hunt the animal until it is at it's most voulnerable...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    I hate it when people dance.
    If you were hungry and had tracked the bear back to it's den. Would you be willing to go into the den to get the bear or would you be too afraid to go in after it?
    Why would i be afraid , I would have a gun !It would be like "shooting fish in a barrel" But, I would,'t do that unless me and/or my family was starving,, its really that simple,,

This from MtnMan's posted link:
    Kendall and a friend rushed into Meeker for a license and the next morning they were at the den.
    This was apparently the day AFTER he tracked it to the den...and after he saw the 8" paw prints and new it was in record territory. Paraphrased but his words.

He didn't know the bear was in there. He saw the tracks the day before. He was looking for a record. Not food. I don't care if you crawl into a den if you are looking for food. I also can't care much as his actions were legal, he harvested a bear in legal hunting season by whatever legal means, but was his reasoning good? <shrug> I wouldn't have done it that way. But that's my opinion.
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-22-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LowKey View Post

This was apparently the day AFTER he tracked it to the den...and after he saw the 8" paw prints and new it was in record territory. Paraphrased but his words.

He didn't know the bear was in there. He saw the tracks the day before. He was looking for a record. Not food. I don't care if you crawl into a den if you are looking for food.
    +1..........
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Yes, he was wrong IMO, and I wish the bear would've ripped his face off!
    I'm a simple man, of simple means, turned my back on the machines, to follow my dreams.

Hmmm..............

If he was there in the morning and only waited 5 hours that's not very long. I've never observed bear in the wild. If they go out foraging, when during the day do they normally do that?
    We have one black bear here on State Forest property. She's usually seen during the middle hours of the day. Lots of people around here though. Don't know if that's typical.
    (actually there must be two as she had a couple cubs last year and they had to put up huge orange signs on the trailheads not to chase the mother bear with video cameras. LOL.)
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-22-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Banned

He didn't know the bear was in there. He saw the tracks the day before. He was looking for a record. Not food. I don't care if you crawl into a den if you are looking for food. I also can't care much as his actions were legal, he harvested a bear in legal hunting season by whatever legal means, but was his reasoning good? <shrug> I wouldn't have done it that way. But that's my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerXanatos View Post
    +1..........
    +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    Yes, he was wrong IMO, and I wish the bear would've ripped his face off!
    Me too Ted,,,,

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It seems unethical to me because I don't see how you place a good, clean shot at an animal inside its den.
    For me, a key component of ethical hunting is to minimize suffering to the animal. If an animal needs to be killed (and to me, wanting a rug or mount is not a need), it should be done clean and fast.

If this guy always hunts his meat and figured a 700lb blackie would fill his food needs and the bear wasn't moving around or curled up so that he could get a clear shot at it, then I don't have a problem with it.
    Actions speak louder than words

sounds like it was looking at him if he could see its nose, and that it was snarling and putting its ears back.

not enough story. Or just enough for a liberal cause. I don't trust newspapers much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    I have a gun,,, and , No, I wouldn't,, but then I only hunt if i am hungry, I am just not into killing things for the fun of it, its not fun for me, and I dont think it was even a little bit "sportsmanlike" to shoot this animal as it slept in its den, just as its not "sportsmanlike" to spotlight deer. shooting ducks before sunrise, etc etc,,
    “I went in about 6 feet, and I could just see the tip of his nose without a flashlight,” Kendall said. “He was growling and snapping his jaws at me.”

Kendall said that after he shined his flashlight on the bear, the bear laid back its ears.

“A buddy told me when they lay back their ears they’re usually going to charge, so I decided I better shoot while I have the chance,” said Kendall, who was carrying a .45-70 caliber lever-action rifle.
    Doesn't sound like it was "sleeping" to me........It probably knew the hunter was there the whole time. Bears can smell things at a Loooooong ways off. Better noses than a bloodhound.

You probably wouldn't like the guys that "Live catch" Wild hogs either. They use dogs to catch them and sell the live animals to "Game Ranches", so that they have the best available animals for the hunters to hunt. Some guy with enough money pays for a hunt on a game ranch which has all these animals running around on the property, All applicable laws are observed as well.... Nothing Illegal about it. Everything is on the "Up and up". These big hunters just don't have the time to put in scouting, and everything that goes into it. All laws are observed, the Hunter gets his trophy, the game ranch gets paid, money goes into the economy, the guys who caught it to begin with are able to feed and clothe their families. Everyone is happy.... except for people that think it is morally reprehensible to do this. Yet it is the most expensive type of hunting anyone can do.

I said it before and I'll say it again.... if it weren't for the fact that this bear was of "Trophy" Class, we most likely would never have heard anything at all about it.

Look, WHEN I hunt, I hunt for one reason...meat... no other reason for me to hunt. It is a type of meat that it is ILLEGAL to buy in most places. Yet My Mom made some of the best food you could ever taste.... from wild animals. Not farm raised beef,chicken, pork, or other types.

Before you condemn this guy any further..... Stop eating beef,chicken,pork, or Turkey...or lots of fish/seafood too. They are all raised on farms and have LESS chance than this bear did. WAY LESS of a chance. From the day they are born/hatched they are destined for YOUR dinner table. Their Whole existence is to provide sustenance for us.... never allowed to run wild or be free. At least this bear had a chance.

I have absolutely no problem with game ranches. As you said, it puts a lot of food on a lot of people's plates, if not the hunter (and someone gets the meat even if the hunter keeps only the stuffed head mount for his wall. I doubt it goes to waste.)

It's like raising pheasant for shoots. You're going to kill them and eat them anyway. If you release them for shoots, some do actually get away.

I have absolutely no problem with game ranches. As you said, it puts a lot of food on a lot of people's plates, if not the hunter (and someone gets the meat even if the hunter keeps only the stuffed head mount for his wall. I doubt it goes to waste.)

It's like raising pheasant for shoots. You're going to kill them and eat them anyway. If you release them for shoots, some do actually get away.
    You're right. Most people that are offended will jump on that paragraph to pick to pieces too.... and ignore the last paragraph altogether. When, in fact, it is the most important paragraph.

People are offended that this bear was killed this way...defenseless. Yet it is NOTHING that a cow,pig or chicken is even MORE defenseless than that bear was, when they are slaughtered. But they eat it anyways, no matter if they buy it from the store or raise it themselves. That seems just a wee bit hypocritical to me.

Klick, now you know the guy wasn't there 'cause he was hungry. Read the articles. ALL of them.
    He was there 'cause he got to salivatin' over them big paw prints he came across so he scrambled around to get permits, etc. so he could legally do the deed pronto.

As to the other sentiments in general:
    If I were hungry and there was no other way, yeah, I'd crawl into the bear's den, raid SD's tuna stash or even god forbid, knock on kyrat's door.
    None of that happened here, and that's not what were debating. Let's stick to the facts, or short of that, just agree that it's a sticky, sensitive subject (not a legal one) and no one's gonna sway anyone from what they already believe.
    What else is new and different?

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    At least this bear had a chance.
    What chance was that? He was IN his den, minding his own business, and in crawls the dickweed with his gun.
    What's a bear to do, put his paws up and raise a white flag?
    Sorry Poco, I just can't wrap my mind around this one.

I threw some stuff in there because I admire his courage for being willing to go in the den. MOST people are too afraid to do anything like that.

Now when it comes to hunting and fishing. I hunt where the deer and elk sleep and eat and have shot many while they are bedded down and at least one that was asleep. When I fish for salmon I used a boat pole, 30# test braided line and I towed them in. I stood right over the 3' wide channel that they were held up in and flossed their teeth.

I once tracked a deer down that I seen a coyote hamstring in the deep snow and killed it for my family. Not only was it unfair and unsporting it deprived the coyote family a weeks worth of meals. I found a coyote den one time and set up 3 dozen snares around the area and wiped the entire family out. I am not about being fair or right, I am all about getting the job done.

This is a survival forum and if you expect to play by some sort of rules, then good luck.

Benesse Quite honestly The majority of hunters who hunt are NOT hungry, they hunt for many other reasons. The ones that hunt because of Hunger are usually called poachers. Can't afford all the stuff that goes into hunting. Instead of money for a license, they buy shoes or clothes, or pay bills. At least the ones that hunted to fill their bellies that I have known.

No most Legal hunters I have known weren't hunting to feed themselves, although they eat what they kill. Some buy brand new vehicles, take nice vacations, own nice things.... maybe not the best, but still nice. Groceries are not why most people hunt. Their reasons are as myriad as the people who hunt. Ted Neugent is a BIG hunter.... do you think he's doing it to put food on his table? Well he does, but not because he needs to.

Funny thing is that the ones that hunt for food around here do it illegally. Just as hunting in days of old was reserved for nobility, so is it the case today. The really poor then were peasants who were not allowed to hunt. Today the poor can't afford it either... not legally anyways. So the case about "doing it for food" should really be reserved for the "Last frontiers". Places like Alaska, some parts of The Lower 48, and Canada, in North America anyways. No one else really "Needs" to hunt. But if hunting were stopped, many species of animals would starve... Game and non-game animals both. Everyone else is a "Sport hunter". Like it or not, there are VERY few "Subsistence hunters", people who do it to feed themselves. As mentioned those are mostly in Alaska and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    What chance was that? He was IN his den, minding his own business, and in crawls the dickweed with his gun.
    What's a bear to do, put his paws up and raise a white flag?
    Sorry Poco, I just can't wrap my mind around this one.
    What chance does a cow have? A Chicken? That bear had a better life than the bacon you have in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    This is a survival forum and if you expect to play by some sort of rules, then good luck.
    Well I was, but now that you mentioned it, maybe I'll reconsider...with mods' blessings of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Pocomoonskyeyes3 View Post
    What chance does a cow have? A Chicken? That bear had a better life than the bacon you have in the morning.
    I'm a vegetarian. (OMG!!!...guards, where are the damn guards?!#@)