Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Target Focus Training

Default Target Focus Training

Have you or anyone you know taken this? Are you familiar with the concept?
    At first blush makes a lot of sense to me but because they promise so much after only 2 days, (it's also not cheap) I'd really like to hear what you guys think. Is it worth considering? Please don't hold back, I want your honest, non varnished opinion.

Here's all about it:
    http://www.targetfocustraining.com/
    Last edited by BENESSE; 12-21-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: added a thought

I cannot garner enough info from their site to tell whether or not it would be worthwhile. He said the course was developed for Navy Seals. For all that attempt to become a Navy Seal - only about 15% succeed. Because it was good training for that 15% doesn't mean it will be as effective for the general population.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would suggest reading his bio; http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/tim-larkin.htm

I personaly would not use his training, at first flush seems to be alot of flash, and little bang. Only one mans cynical opinion
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Take a jujitsu class. You'll save some dough, learn how to defend your self and help to stay in shape.

For that kind of money you can by an AR and skip the physical stuff.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

...or, take a jujitsu class. A few classes on palm strikes and breaking joints (knees and elbows) will make you a weapon.

Learn to apply your strength to thier weakness. You're smart, most people...well...aren't. Practice thinking how you can hurt people around you. Imagine how it would burn if you threw your orange juice in thier eyes (it does). Think about it all the time so your mind thinks this way instinctly. Think this way always and you'll become a mass murderer before you know it!

Never heard of what he is teaching. He quotes it's part of Special Forces training, I was an Army Ranger and we had close combat training, but not target focus training. Maybe the concepts are similar?
    Hard to believe you can learn the close combat techniques in 2 days. I agree with others, there's other martial arts training that would be fine.

So here's my thinking out loud. (kind of discombobulated)

I need to get into a basic self-defense program that doesn't require a lifetime to get good at. It's the third leg of preparedness, (at least in my book) the first two being, bug in/bug out preparedness & firearms.

1. Klkak brought wing tsun to my attention which sounds exactly what might be right for me. It is described as a very direct and practical system of Chinese martial arts, unique in that it is the only system of martial arts created by a woman with the sole purpose of fighting larger, stronger attackers. Rather than relying on the typical "block + punch" routines of the classical martial arts, WingTsun focuses on training more intelligent responses to aggressive situations.

2. Also on the table is Krav Maga--"Developed in the tough battlegrounds of the Middle-East, Krav Maga has been effectively adapted for law enforcement and civilian use. It is the ideal self-defense system for use on the street - a place where no rules exist. Krav Maga is a self-defense system that anyone can use, regardless of size, strength, or fitness. Krav Maga emphasizes simple and practical techniques, real life scenarios, and intense training".

The concept behind Target Focus Training resonated, except that common sense tells me nothing much of consequence can be accomplished in only 2 days. If the classes were reasonable, I'd take a chance--nothing ventured, nothing gained. And if some of you came forward and told me it was the cat's miaw, I'd listen.

As it is, no matter which way I go, it'll be hard work and commitment, just as it it with anything worth doing in life. Against better judgment I do get swayed by shortcuts and need friends to set me straight.

Benesse. To be proficient takes time and enough practice for methods to become instinct. Especially methods that magnify strenght. Your natural instints must be overcome also. The natural instinct when pushed is to push back but to use thier strenght when they push you pull. Practice is key to develop the responce needed. The problem with many martial arts is they cannot be practiced full force and I prefer methods that can for example Boxing, Wrestling or Judo. Don't believe all you hear, in a fight it all counts, size, speed, strenght, endurance, knives, chains, guns. A few hours of training is just one thing but if opponent has the other stuff...do the math. Physical conditioning is your best bet and I would suggest Tiebo to you. A great cardio workout and practice punching may catch them by surprize and give you a chance to break free and run. Running is a very good defense for women. The first thing I learned when I started school was size and strenght (or martial arts for that matter) did not matter in a rock fight but finding rocks in the city can be hard. THINK! That's your weapon.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 12-21-2010 at 11:57 PM.

I would stay away. You do not need extensive training to defend yourself. Situational awareness is a huge part.

There are some really good reality based concept self defense fighting systems. You look for avoidance, de-escalation. Then gross motor skill high yield get me the flock out of there skills.

This guy recommends grounding your opponent. This is a bad in most situations. Being on the ground keeps you from leaving and also allows friends to kick you.

Look for classes that use chin jab, cow catcher runs and that understand going home is the ultimate goal.

http://www.5min.com/Video/Self-Defen...n-Jab-37588241

To become proficient in any martial art takes time and practice or as my sefu would say "it takes time and perfect practice" . I study Hungar Kung Fu, and european martial arts (mostly sword and dagger). I have had a little experience in krav Maga, it is down and dirty street martial arts. If you aren't looking for anything pretty just effective that is the way I would go.
    I know what hunts you.

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post

I need to get into a basic self-defense program that doesn't require a lifetime to get good at. It's the third leg of preparedness, (at least in my book) the first two being, bug in/bug out preparedness & firearms.

2. Also on the table is Krav Maga--"Developed in the tough battlegrounds of the Middle-East, Krav Maga has been effectively adapted for law enforcement and civilian use. It is the ideal self-defense system for use on the street - a place where no rules exist. Krav Maga is a self-defense system that anyone can use, regardless of size, strength, or fitness. Krav Maga emphasizes simple and practical techniques, real life scenarios, and intense training".

I have taken the Krav Maga classes. It is simple. effective and for me somewhat natural. There are no stances, Moves ETC where the instructor grades you on stylized forms. They don't correct the way you hold your hands if it is a 1/2 inch out of line. They teach and correct your technique, IE: an elbow strike They judge if you used enough force and hit the intended target. MY instructors paired us and your opponent would be wearing striking gloves. An Elbow strike to the the head would hit the striking glove of your opponent that would be held at by his head and it would be full force. The same for knee strikes. Joint strikes would be soften to avoid injury to your opponent but full force on a stiking bag.

I tried other Martial art forms and found myself unable or maybe somewhat unwilling to practice a KATA to prefect a form so I would be able to be judged in a formal competition.

The Krav Maga classes I took was an instruction in Down and Dirty street fighting in ways to incapacitate your attacker "NOW" without stylish moves or loud yells. No kicks higher then the groin area, no high jumps.

No Colored belts were awarded. There were 3 levels of achivement, Beginner, Intermediate and instructor.

To become an instructor you had to have successfully used your training in a real encounter. Our instructors were active LEO's-- Street cops, Border Patrols agents, Highway patrol officers, Military Policemen ETC. No DOJO kings.

OF cource one of the things they emphasized at every class especialty for civilians was to walk away if all possible. If not then bring the most hurt in the shortest time, by whatever means, you are able to inflict upon your attacker.

GOOD LUCK in your quest
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Default I agree...

My only objective in wanting to take some sort of formal instruction in self-defense is really to buy myself some extra time to get the heck out of Dodge if I had to.
    I've reached middle age in NYC without so much as a distant brush with danger precisely because I go out of my way to avoid it at all cost. I am always vigilant, I never have my guard down and I take 0 chances when it comes to safety. This of course is no guarantee that I will continue to be lucky so I need to goose up my chances, if and when I find myself in a situation. Not looking for pretty form, mumbo-jumbo, belts or ribbons--just enough well placed hurt to let me run, because run I can. I can run fast and I can run for a long time--that's pretty much covered. It's staying put that's keeping me awake at night.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My BIL was in MMA before he got hurt in a wreck a while back. Fighting is one thing and you can learn that in any old rednecks back yard. Self defense is another thing and programming a proper response to a random situation is not something you'll master in 2 days. These things take training.
    I do think this type of class would be benificial, but how can anyone boast such grand results in such a short time?
    I'd look for a class that offered more long-term training for a lower price. The taj mahal was not built overnight, and neither are proper self defense techniques.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Krav Maga, from a dirty ole street fighter that loved the big heavy glass ashtrays in bars. You need a basic mindset that will allow you to attack, not defend. Unless you can maim or blind a person don't bother. Attack is really the best defense next to not being there. Forget the kick to the groin, I've hurt but fought after being kicked. Basic Canadian Combato or WWII training works. Systems are for sport, street fighting is to live and I know a guy in NYC, ex-cop that teaches the down and dirty fighting.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

I'll say it again, It ALL counts! Defensive moves are just as important if not more so. Punches gain power when they step into it. It is easier to throw someone into the wall if they are running at you as opposed to just standing there like dead weight. As for form you should think of it as one step on the road, not the destination. There are things you will learn through using proper form that will lead to the essence of the technique. Form is one thing, timing is another. Foot sweeps as shown on tv are pure crap and usuually are just kicking the guy in the foot. To be done properly requires the foot to be kicked out just before weight is placed on it and the effect is as if they stepped in a hole. Momentum is another factor. There is a big difference between learning some basic leverage and being able to combine that leverage with timing, momentum, etc. This takes practice and lots of it. IT ALL COUNTS! No offence meant to law enforcement or military trained since like I said "IT ALL COUNTS", but I trained 4 hours a day, 4 days a week for 8 years, competed in 100's of tournaments and countless matches to develop my skill in Judo. Most fights are as routine as throwing a sack of potatoes on a truck. You don't have to be military or law enforcement to find violence in this world either. That's a very limited perspective.
    Last edited by Alaskan Survivalist; 12-22-2010 at 04:23 PM.

First a disclaimer or two...

I'm not a "warrior." I have never taken a single day's instruction in any martial art, nor am I likely ever to do so. I was never a soldier and am too old now even to be drafted should the need arise. I make no claim to understanding any so-called "Warrior Code." Having said that...

Mr. Larkin was injured in a diving accident while undergoing US Navy SEAL Training and was medically disenrolledfrom the program, leaving him unable to reach his goal of becoming a SEAL officer. (emphasis added)
    I don't understand the logic here. How exactly can a guy who FAILED to achieve his goal think that his failure qualifies him to teach everyone else?

I don't care why he was "disenrolled." The point is he did not complete the program. He was NEVER a SEAL. As such ,he NEVER engaged in any real missions. He is therefore, no more qualified than any other program wash-out and should not be allowed to use the SEAL name in any way, shape, or form in his bio. Isn't that an insult to real SEALs?

the Admiral assigned Mr. Larkin to a special group of senior SEAL operators for the daunting task of researching and developing a more effective form of hand-to-hand combat training... As a member of this group, Mr. Larkin was instrumental in getting more effective training implemented into SEAL and Special Operations... they had helped rewrite the way the US Special Operations Community learned hand-to-hand combat
    Reading between the lines I deduce that this individual, who was NOT a SEAL, was "instrumental" in his clerical role of making coffee and Xerox copies for the real warriors.

Like I said before, I have never and likely will never take any martial arts instruction. However, if I were to feel compelled to do so, I think I would look for an instructor with a more "believable" bio.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole WV Coot View Post
    Krav Maga, from a dirty ole street fighter that loved the big heavy glass ashtrays in bars. You need a basic mindset that will allow you to attack, not defend. Unless you can maim or blind a person don't bother. Attack is really the best defense next to not being there. Forget the kick to the groin, I've hurt but fought after being kicked. Basic Canadian Combato or WWII training works. Systems are for sport, street fighting is to live and I know a guy in NYC, ex-cop that teaches the down and dirty fighting.

IF all else fails use the "k's"

Ka-shotgun
    Ka-38
    KA-boom
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post

1. Klkak brought wing tsun to my attention which sounds exactly what might be right for me. It is described as a very direct and practical system of Chinese martial arts, unique in that it is the only system of martial arts created by a woman with the sole purpose of fighting larger, stronger attackers. Rather than relying on the typical "block + punch" routines of the classical martial arts, WingTsun focuses on training more intelligent responses to aggressive situations.

The concept behind Target Focus Training resonated, except that common sense tells me nothing much of consequence can be accomplished in only 2 days. If the classes were reasonable, I'd take a chance--nothing ventured, nothing gained. And if some of you came forward and told me it was the cat's miaw, I'd listen.

As it is, no matter which way I go, it'll be hard work and commitment, just as it it with anything worth doing in life. Against better judgment I do get swayed by shortcuts and need friends to set me straight.
    So.....B.....did you sign up for that there Wang Chung class?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoXu6QmxpJE
    Writer of wrongs.
    Honey, just cuz I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid. (Jake- Sweet Home Alabama)
    "Stop Global Whining"