Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first boat[PIC heavy].

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NCO View Post
    Yes it is. And it has proven to be every bit as crappy as i remembered...
    LOL,,, Yet seems to have been your "Go To " knife ?

AHA!!!!! I've downloaded that picture and will keep it at the ready Mr. Grappy Mora. Oh, by the way, I don't see a puko anywhere around.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Those are where the boat is now. We have scraped all extra fill otc the plank seams and begun to attach more stuff...

Next an other project that my classmates are doing. They started a month earlier.

Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Banned

Nice ! Have you named it yet or do we have to have a contest ?

Banned

'The Finland Ferry" ? lol

NCOha's arc ?
    Last edited by Justin Case; 02-04-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NCO View Post
    Yes it is. And it has proven to be every bit as crappy as i remembered...
    Even a Mora can only go so far in compensating for the lack of skill of the user.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cool, looks like it coming along
    Thanks.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

That really is an outstanding job. You should be very proud of that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Maybe you could name it NOTAMORA. Just thinkin, with time on my hands. I for one like my Mora.

Blog Entries

The mora is strictly for scraping glue. I have a puukko too for any knife work.
    I can't name the boat as it wont come for me. Her project name is Ursula...
    Survival is not about surviving AGAINST the nature. It's about surviving WITH the nature.

You can't go in to nature, nature is not a place or an object. Nature just is. You are living it.

Blog Entries

Default Update!!

Further update on Ursula.

Today we prepared and made two of the three stiff ribs. The third one will be my exam to judge my level of skill with basic wood working. The ribs are formed of three 10mm thick, 40mm wide and from 170mm to 185mm long pieces of knot free pine strips.

Looking very good. I'd give you an A on the project so far.

Blog Entries

Thank you Rick.

We actually use rating from one to three, three being the best. I would give the design of the boat a one, and the build a two... But it's a good learning process!

Blog Entries

A little update:

My Exam, the third stiff rid has suffered a little setback for reasons not under my control. It was going alright, I did everything according to safety regulations and so on to the point of perfection. I managed to pick good quality wood for the project, the laminating process didn't have any issues and finishing the piece went well also. Then started the fitting. The piece was just the right size and all I needed to do was to carve spaces for two slap joints and the gunwale on the rib to make it perfect. As soon as I started making the first slap joint embedding slot on the rib the first laminated layer snapped loose like a leaf spring. I examined the glue seam and it turned out it hadn't set properly. I begun to wonder why. I was certain that the hardener ratio was correct and I had had it on suitable clench. Soon it hit me, it was colder than usual INSIDE the workshop. Only +12C(53.6F) when normal temp is around 18C(64.4F). It was too cold for the glue to set!!! The heating had partially broken down due to the -40C(-40F) night temps on few consecutive nights and -30C(-22F) days... It would appear that my exam is slightly delayed due to weather issues. The temp should rise to around -20C(-4F) this week, so hopefully I can get the project moving soon.

I wish we had projects like that in school, but I do still have my book ends and gun rack.

I am impressed in the build and effort,..........Nice Job.

Blog Entries

Hunter63, you would have had if you had studied boat building...

Well there was a project we (3 of us) did involving a Class B Hydroplane, w/ 9.5 HP Merc out-board.
    Built with 1/4 plywood and fiberglass.
    Did float, went like h@11 on a straight-a -way, but was a real treat to TRY to turn, usually involving a multi flip, spin and a dunking.
    Somewhere there was a basic flaw in the design, guys in the following classes also tried to make it work?????

Good thing we had a kill switch on the wheel so the motor wouldn't get completely trashed every time we dunked it. Kinda got to the point, where we waold just look at each other and say, "Hey, why don't YOU try it?"

Got to tell ya, that was about the fastest I ever felt I was moving,(about 50 mph) hitting those little waves with just a 1/4 plywood between your knees and the water was a trip.

I think a project like yours would have been more satisfying.

Blog Entries

My guess is that you didn't have any part of the h-copter in the water... effectively making turning a b1tch. It's like having a 100hp engine on an old U-pattern row boat. The thing will glide/fly and not turn stably.

I still have my lamp and dust pan. I have no idea where my DC motor ended up. Probably part of a Toyota.

Looking forward to more pics on Ursula.

Its a milestone for you. Congratulations.