Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: May accept job as watchman

Default May accept job as watchman

for a logging outfit. First of all, I am a woman. I need a job desparately and am willing to try living in a tiny trailer(I've lived in a 26 foot and a 30 foot, no problem but had all the conveniences, most). I would not have any electricity except for a generator and propane.

What I would like to know is if there are any women here that might be able to give me some good feedback/advice. I am a survivor and the job itself is just to keep an eye on the equipment and area for the logging outfit.

There are some things I would like to know:
    1. is it possible to have at least dvd/vcr tv when only having a generator.
    2. would it be possible to have internet?

I probably sound pretty stupid but only because I am, LOL, well, ignorant of living completely off the grid. The first stretch of work would be right close to my friends who live 9 miles down the road. I would also LOVE giving a dog a home with me. There are so many large dogs that people just abandon and I would so love to have one for company. And some protection.

Ok, I'll wait to see if I get any responses here, thank you in advance, for any help, denise

Welcome, Denise.
    My first impression based only on what you said so far is that the set-up doesn't seem too safe. "Right close to friends, 9miles down the road" is hardly close enough if there's trouble.
    I would need more info in order to offer anything useful.

Hi Benesse,

I understand that being a woman, it is "maybe" less safe than for a man. I have never wanted to be a man or do a man's job. I am just wondering if this could be a job for a woman also. I would have my days free to come into town, maybe 9 miles to my friends place or on into a town that has all anyone needs. My biggest concerns are these:
    1.not having some movies at least, to help pass the long hours alone
    2.my internet as I have been working for some time to earn money with my
    photographs
    3.how to set up things when I have not ever dealt with a generator for electricity.

I'm sure there are other concerns, LOL!! But we could start with those. Anything is appreciated, Denise

PS thank you for replying, it is good to just have someone to talk to about it

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    Welcome, Denise.
    My first impression based only on what you said so far is that the set-up doesn't seem too safe. "Right close to friends, 9miles down the road" is hardly close enough if there's trouble.
    I would need more info in order to offer anything useful.

I have known women who have done this work before. Get a dog and a shotgun to keep you company out there.

Internet is going to be tough unless you get cell service in the area you are working in.
    Most unlikely though. As for TV, get one of those personal DVD players and an inverter to run off the battery system. Bring lots of books oh and get the biggest brightest light you can get. Wireless driveway alarms found at Harbor Freight are also a great thing to have. They only run about $20 for each set and 2 or 3 sets are a good thing to have when out in the woods.

Remember you are being hire because there are bad people who are intent of thieving, always expect trouble.

Thanks, this is good info and I appreciate it. I don't know about cell service but I may get it in some areas we are stationed. I will move around when the crew moves. I would surely love to meet someone that has done the job or is doing it now. If you know of anyone who would be willing to talk to me I would give you my email.

Thanks again, denise

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    I have known women who have done this work before. Get a dog and a shotgun to keep you company out there.

Internet is going to be tough unless you get cell service in the area you are working in.
    Most unlikely though. As for TV, get one of those personal DVD players and an inverter to run off the battery system. Bring lots of books oh and get the biggest brightest light you can get. Wireless driveway alarms found at Harbor Freight are also a great thing to have. They only run about $20 for each set and 2 or 3 sets are a good thing to have when out in the woods.

Remember you are being hire because there are bad people who are intent of thieving, always expect trouble.

Has the company had women work for them in this capacity before? If so, ask for some names and see what issues they had to deal with. Talk with local LEO about problems in the area. They should be able to give you a heads up on what you can expect in that area.

How are you going to communicate if there is a problem? If cell is spotty do you plan on using radios (Company, Ham, CB). You'll need some method to notify LEO if something does happen.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

thanks Rick, I am checking on cell service so I can have internet, if there is cell service. Also, I will be talking to the head guy today or over the weekend I think. I do know they provide communication equipment. I don't know if any women have held the job before for this company but I will ask around.

Thank you much and I will be back with more info when I have it, denise

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Has the company had women work for them in this capacity before? If so, ask for some names and see what issues they had to deal with. Talk with local LEO about problems in the area. They should be able to give you a heads up on what you can expect in that area.

How are you going to communicate if there is a problem? If cell is spotty do you plan on using radios (Company, Ham, CB). You'll need some method to notify LEO if something does happen.

The women I knew who don this type of work were over in Idaho. I now live on the wet side of Washington. I do not know anyone personally who does it right now, but see them all the time on landings.

Try to look up some numbers for forest security. They sometimes advertise. You might also contact some the timber companies and ask the receptionist if they know of anybody you can talk to. Many times the receptionist will be happy to point other women in the right direction. They are generally used to talking to men all day and a female is nice to help out now and then. I owned a saw shop for many years and figured out real quick that it was better for my wife to call then it was for me.

thanks klickitat, you are a really, nice person. I will try all that's been suggested to me. I've dreamed of living out somewhere but still able to come to town once in awhile. So I am not a true survivalist some might say but I feel anyone that has walked this Earth is a survivor in one way or the other I look forward to the possibilities that might come with a job like this. Not just an income but a chance to be "out there" and hopefully, do some photography which is one of my passions

Thank you again, Denise

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    The women I knew who don this type of work were over in Idaho. I now live on the wet side of Washington. I do not know anyone personally who does it right now, but see them all the time on landings.

Try to look up some numbers for forest security. They sometimes advertise. You might also contact some the timber companies and ask the receptionist if they know of anybody you can talk to. Many times the receptionist will be happy to point other women in the right direction. They are generally used to talking to men all day and a female is nice to help out now and then. I owned a saw shop for many years and figured out real quick that it was better for my wife to call then it was for me.

It sounds like you will be working at night, so make a list of what you will need to feel comfortable in the dark. If you are security for a heli, you have to be very close all night long.

I would suggest that there will not be time to be bored, so I wouldn't worry about movies etc.

I don't see why this wouldn't be a good job. If you are following a heli logger, you will get to see some of the most magnificant country available.

Learn to read tracks in the snow, identify trees, bushes, cones, seize the opportunitity to educate yourself.

Most of all, enjoy yourself.

I think the question you asked early on got skipped. As to running a laptop on a generator you can do so if the generator is an inverter type generator. Inverter generators produce a smoother and cleaner power than other type of generators. They generally also manage the speed of the engine so the voltage doesn't fluctuate as much.

If you don't have access to an inverter type generator then the first thing you want to do is check the spark plug on the genie. That little gap can cause you big problems. A new spark plug with a proper gap set (or maybe a teeny bit close) will help with engine fluctuations. The better mechanical shape the genie is in the better it will run and the cleaner power it will output.

Make certain you are not running high load appliances at the same time you run the laptop. Things like space heaters that tend to cycle on and off and require a lot of power will affect the power you receive at the laptop.

Finally, make certain you have a surge suppressor between you and the genie. You can pick those up for pretty cheap and they will keep (usually) a surge of power from being delivered to your laptop. You can even find those at places like Goodwill.

I'd let the laptop charge while off and then rely on the battery to use it so it's not connected to the genie when in use.

If you are running a standard desktop then you might consider investing in a battery backup. If the genie stops running then the computer will shut down. Not only will you loose whatever data you are working on if it hasn't been saved it's also hard on a computer to abruptly lose power. Files that need to be closed for shut down don't get closed and sometimes can be corrupted. A battery backup will continue to supply battery voltage long enough to perform an orderly shut down. Unfortunately, they are a tad expensive.

All of this, by the way, is true for any electronics such as a TV and DVD player.

I hope that helps.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hi PNW, not heli logging but still, you are right about scenery. I think I will have quite a bit of "alone" time but as of this a.m. the boss still hasn't called me. They are busy but I hope he will have time to talk to me today.

Thanks so much, Denise

Quote Originally Posted by PNW View Post
    It sounds like you will be working at night, so make a list of what you will need to feel comfortable in the dark. If you are security for a heli, you have to be very close all night long.

I would suggest that there will not be time to be bored, so I wouldn't worry about movies etc.

I don't see why this wouldn't be a good job. If you are following a heli logger, you will get to see some of the most magnificant country available.

Learn to read tracks in the snow, identify trees, bushes, cones, seize the opportunitity to educate yourself.

Most of all, enjoy yourself.

tons of good info Rick, thank you so much! I have a lot to learn but I am so hoping for the opportunity to live out there, thanks again and will do my best to stay in touch with the forum now that I found it denise

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I think the question you asked early on got skipped. As to running a laptop on a generator you can do so if the generator is an inverter type generator. Inverter generators produce a smoother and cleaner power than other type of generators. They generally also manage the speed of the engine so the voltage doesn't fluctuate as much.

If you don't have access to an inverter type generator then the first thing you want to do is check the spark plug on the genie. That little gap can cause you big problems. A new spark plug with a proper gap set (or maybe a teeny bit close) will help with engine fluctuations. The better mechanical shape the genie is in the better it will run and the cleaner power it will output.

Make certain you are not running high load appliances at the same time you run the laptop. Things like space heaters that tend to cycle on and off and require a lot of power will affect the power you receive at the laptop.

Finally, make certain you have a surge suppressor between you and the genie. You can pick those up for pretty cheap and they will keep (usually) a surge of power from being delivered to your laptop. You can even find those at places like Goodwill.

I'd let the laptop charge while off and then rely on the battery to use it so it's not connected to the genie when in use.

If you are running a standard desktop then you might consider investing in a battery backup. If the genie stops running then the computer will shut down. Not only will you loose whatever data you are working on if it hasn't been saved it's also hard on a computer to abruptly lose power. Files that need to be closed for shut down don't get closed and sometimes can be corrupted. A battery backup will continue to supply battery voltage long enough to perform an orderly shut down. Unfortunately, they are a tad expensive.

All of this, by the way, is true for any electronics such as a TV and DVD player.

I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
    here are some things I would like to know:
    1. is it possible to have at least dvd/vcr tv when only having a generator.
    2. would it be possible to have internet?
    Buying a generator on price cost the most money. A good generator will supply power to a major appliance as well as the computer - without any threat to the computer. An example of why the technically informed buy superior generators such as Hondas.

If you need anything between a generator and its load (ie a protector), well, anything that magic box would do is done better and for much less money inside the generator. A magic box is mostly myth. Destructive power problems are always solved better (and for less money) inside the generator.

A generator must be so quiet as to remain safely nearby. Generators that make much noise (and odor) often are relocated so far away as to easily 'walk'.

A superior generator runs so many hours longer on one tank of gas. For example, a Honda under tiny load can run eight (or more) hours. The cheap generator will consume same fuel in maybe two hours.

Internet - better options are satellite (along with your satellite TV) or a new technology only just being implemented. Those two cell phone technologies are LTE or WiMax. Only better carriers will offer this service. For example, do not even bother asking AT&T for it.

Another option is to use a conventional cell phone just like an old 56K modem. And be surprised how much more that will cost due to number of consumed 'minutes'.

Do not use a laptop for long periods from its battery. That battery's purpose is short term (temporary) power, unusual events, and emergencies. A battery is typically rated for 300 or 400 discharges. Then learn how much a replacement battery costs.

Also consider an optional laptop power supply designed to run (and recharge its battery) directly from the vehicle. And do not waste money on cheap equivalents. A supply that powers a laptop from any vehicle must be so robust as to make "load dump" irrelevant. Spikes of 70 or hundreds of volts from a vehicle's 12 volts system is a concern. Only better laptop 'inverters' make load dump irrelevant.
    Last edited by westom; 12-18-2010 at 02:07 AM.

Are you for real? You're advice on generators is way off base. And how do you get 100s of volts out of a 12 volt system? Doesn't your truck have a "voltage regulator" on it. If what you say is true then vehicle computers and other electronics would be fried left and right.

Now, stop by our Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. I'd be interested to know how old you are for one.

Traveling Honda generator salesman?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Call Dish TV.

In my area they advertise internet and phone off their satalite system. Half the people on my road have their service. Airwave TV will not reach us.

If you have business to take care of on the computer you can always run to the library. A 20-30 mile commute for business is not abnormal in the real world.

There are several of us that have lived long term in RV units. I had one unit that was self contained on just propane. I rigged another for solar power, but that was in summer.

Remember that you can always hook your vehicle up to the unit for 12v power. I used to carry my 12v deep cycle battery in the truck. I would grab one of the parking spaces by a utility pole in the parking lot and plug in my charger to the pole outlet.

There is the old option of going to a second hand book store and buying a box full of books. Reading under the Coleman lantern is a viable option to scatter boredom.

Harbor Freight has a 110 gen unit that runs 6 hours on a gallon. At $100 it is worth a look.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Now that is an example of what advice SHOULD NOT BE I meant westom
    Last edited by Pal334; 12-18-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: last sentence
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

while there's always the thread of equipment theft, the most likely trouble is vandalism and activists.

while it varies from place to place, most of the activism consists of trespassing to shoot documentary video, occasional lock-downs and assemblies, tree sitting (in select areas) and such light monkey-wrenching as placing obstacles like logs across access roads or locks on gates. this based on my experience as one of those activists.

a small genset will power several small appliances. for example, my notebook consumes around 180 watts, while harbor freight's $120 generator is rated at 800. that would allow you to throw in a television, lamp and coffee pot at the same time with probably some current to spare, remembering that you wouldn't have to use all your appliances at once anyway.
    Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice - Grey's Law.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To see what's going on in my knife shop check out CanidArmory on Youtube or on Facebook.

I second the satilite web service. As to the generator, what size (as in kw) are you looking at? Remember it is not just what your electronics draw, it is also what they surge at. Something like a fridge may draw 1200 - 2400 watts but on start up it may draw twice that. There are many items we use on a daily basis that surge power on start up.
    I also agree on a dog, and a shotgun. I would also add to that a high powered flashlight, preferbly an LED in the 3 watt range (should give you 100-120 lumens) .
    I know what hunts you.