Thread: cooking bear meat

Default cooking bear meat

anyone got any good ways of cooking bear meat? i just made a roast in the slow cooker and gave some to the dog, she hasn't stopped licking her butt since, must be trying to get the taste out of her mouth, the suasage out of this bear was awesome, but the roast so far sucks, might be my methods but i have heard many story on bear meat.
    so what say you??????
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

My wife and I have found that cooking bear with tomato sauce is best. There is so much fat in it that it needs to have it cut with something acidic.

We ground most of ours up and either made spaghetti or tacos with it. We made Swedish meatballs one night for dinner. The kids loved them, but they were so rich that my wife and I couldn't hardly get them down. Tomato's really help to cut the fat.

A native american friend taught me that you must remove all the fat you can off of the meat. There is plenty in the meat to keep it moist. Then it's lots of onions and other veggies into the roasring pot with the bear meat.
    I know what hunts you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by klickitat View Post
    My wife and I have found that cooking bear with tomato sauce is best. There is so much fat in it that it needs to have it cut with something acidic.

We ground most of ours up and either made spaghetti or tacos with it. We made Swedish meatballs one night for dinner. The kids loved them, but they were so rich that my wife and I couldn't hardly get them down. Tomato's really help to cut the fat.

Great......Now when TSHTF I will have to eat the skinny humans, because the fat ones will be marbled with fat.....just great...Hehehehehehe

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Great......Now when TSHTF I will have to eat the skinny humans, because the fat ones will be marbled with fat.....just great...Hehehehehehe
    Good to know I'll be safe from the zombies.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I agree on removing as much fat as possible. I have eaten lots of black bear and only once that I didn't like it (but I also didn't cook it). I always trim the meat and cook it in the same manner as beef (but well done).
    Even the Dalai Lama had to bug out…

I've read that bear can have trichinosis so cooking it to the same temp as pork would be a safe procedure?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yep bears have trichinosis, cook well done.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

I've had it in chili, and you couldn't tell that it was bear, but it was the best chili I have ever eaten. Of course we were ice fishing and everything taste great at that time.