Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hand wash your clothes

Default Hand wash your clothes

I save $20 a month by hand washing my clothes. For those of you who live in an apartment, you can buy a couple of tubs from Walmart, one for washing and one for rinsing (you need two so you don't waste your wash water by having to pour out your soap to rinse). Buy another STRONG shower curtain rod to place across the center of your bathtub for drip drying clothes. I also suggest you get into the habit of doing a little daily, rather than try and do it all at one time, or it can get overwhelming. I suggest you wash that days clothes today when you are done with them. God bless! : )

Oh, no, no, no, no. If God had wanted me to hand wash clothes he would not have given us the washing machine and dryer. Gifts for which I am truly grateful.

Why not launder your way over to the Introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Yea, one of the two things I really miss living in a dry cabin is a washer and dryer. (The other is a tub of hot bubbly water when my muscles are sore.) I have thought about getting a counter top wringer and doing it at home, but that would just be too much water to haul, especially with kids, one of whom is a "pretty little princess".

Edited to add, I have no tub to hang them over and have you ever tried to get deisel out of work clothes, or dog hair by hand washing....?
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

Edited to add, I have no tub to hang them over and have you ever tried to get deisel out of work clothes, or dog hair by hand washing....?
    So you machine wash your dogs to get the diesel out of their hair?

My dog didn't like the spin cycle. so we hand washed.

LOL

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by gryffynklm; 12-13-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

Hahahahaha. Now that's funny I don't care who you are. Years and years ago one of the guys I worked with went home for lunch. While he was eating he asked his wife what she had in the dryer making all the racket. She said she didn't know what it was but would check. The scream alerted him that something was not quite right. Being the compassionate husband he was he stopped eating his lunch and took a look at what was left of the cat inside the dryer. They had to throw the clothes away.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Oh, no, no, no, no. If God had wanted me to hand wash clothes he would not have given us the washing machine and dryer. Gifts for which I am truly grateful.
    My sentiment exactly. All you are doing is swishing around the dirt a little with a hand wash on really dirty clothes.

I just bought a washer/dryer to put in my shack.

I can live without lights, I can live without the fridge, I can live without AC, but SHTF I will be cranking up the generator to wash the clothes.

In fact, I will dedicate a trailer to the washer/dryer/ generator and pump to run down to the lake and wash clothes if the water stops flowing in the pipes!

I might even set up a laundery business post appocolipse.

Some of the funnyist journel entries I have ever read while studying history are accounts of washing clothes. Each culture had their own methods and travelers often were shocked and reported on what they saw.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Banned

My Bachelor friend " Louie" used to take his dirty laundry fishing with him, he put on a set of dirty clothes and go swim for a few min,, then change and do it again,, LOL,, TRUE STORY ! ( we hated going fishing with Louie, Never caught anything)

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Some of the funnyist journel entries I have ever read while studying history are accounts of washing clothes. Each culture had their own methods and travelers often were shocked and reported on what they saw.
    IIRC the ancient Romans used to use pee to help clean their clothes. Effective, but gross.

Quote Originally Posted by grrlscout View Post
    IIRC the ancient Romans used to use pee to help clean their clothes. Effective, but gross.
    Meet Tiberius Bear Gryllius.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 12-13-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When I was 12yrs. old I read somewhere that pee removed fountain pen ink. So I tried it in desperation and it worked.

Blog Entries

My washing machine is my best friend. I have done the handwashing thing, and still bear the mental scars. Being defeated by a bedsheet is not good for the ego. I'm with KYR, I'd go without a lot of other things before the washing machine.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

Amen sister. Clothes are the one thing that are going to need the swish swish swish of the waher and the whir of the dryer. If I lived alone maybe I would think about it but I thought and know the washer is a real part of my life.

I picked up a wash board and a few basins for up at camp a year or so ago. I thought it would be a good idea to leave some clothes up there and handwash as needed and then I wouldnt have to lug clothes every trip. It was great the first few trips, after that it didnt seem like so much work to just pack a bag and do a load of wash when I got back home.

Quote Originally Posted by chiltonmj7 View Post
    I save $20 a month by hand washing my clothes. For those of you who live in an apartment, you can buy a couple of tubs from Walmart, one for washing and one for rinsing (you need two so you don't waste your wash water by having to pour out your soap to rinse). Buy another STRONG shower curtain rod to place across the center of your bathtub for drip drying clothes. I also suggest you get into the habit of doing a little daily, rather than try and do it all at one time, or it can get overwhelming. I suggest you wash that days clothes today when you are done with them. God bless! : )
    If you want to save $20 a month, skip a few meals. You'll feel better and you'll be healthier and you'll have more time to spend on stuff that's actually fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Grrlscout
    So am I to understand that the phrase "p*** on it" was a helpful suggestion?

Otaku/ survivalist wannab ravenscar's Avatar

when golden showers work, news at ten......
    It bothers me how someone with new shoes can come up to me asking for money.

Now that right there is funny I don't care who you are.

dont put praise behind mien comments, i may think you are egging me on

I washed my clothes for a year in Iraq. I can't imagine doing it for my family of 7. I would quit at this survival game. Shoot me now and take my food.
    I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FinallyMe78?feature=mhee

i couldnt do that to ya, you have a kid