Thread: winter boot tips

Talking winter boot tips

I wanted to know what your guys/gals opinion is on winter boots.Well i own about 4 pair of winter boots all for hunting and fish fishing none have removable liners.My newest pair are 600 gram tec boots i love them, I took them camping two weekends ago got down to 14 and i was fine. But last winter I went camping for 3 days in Jan and I had boots with the liners that came out they worked very nice for drying them, my couisin tried to dry his and he ended up with burnt boots.I'm thinking about getting a pair of G.I. Mickey Mouse boots they look super warm but look like a pain in the *** to try to dry.Just wanted to know of any info on the Mickeys or tricks to dry boots in the bush,heading out camping Jan 13 to the 16.We are building are shelter and back packing in to are camping spot so not sure of any easy way to dry them at night.thnx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cm79 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a pair of G.I. Mickey Mouse boots they look super warm but look like a pain in the *** to try to dry.
    To dry them out only takes a dry towel and about a minute. Just wipe them out!
    Last edited by klkak; 12-12-2010 at 07:08 PM.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

You could try taking some kitty litter. Or even newspaper. Newspaper can be for drying and firestarting.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

The mickeys can't get wet per se as the wool is sealed inside, unless you leave the air valves open, poke a hole, or try to inflate them they stay dry as a bone. Even full of water they still insulate.

I got a pair this fall and they are super warm even with a thin pair of socks, but are not the most comfortable for walking it. But, for still hunting and ice fishing they will rock.

klkak your saying all it takes is a towel to dry the mickey mouse boots?

my problem with them getting wet is my feet sweating not so much water getting in.But I see how somthing as simple as whipping them out would work.Never thought of that because that would'nt work with the boots i have know.thnx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cm79 View Post
    klkak your saying all it takes is a towel to dry the mickey mouse boots?
    Yes thats it. A towel, rag, paper towel, t-shirt or whatever you have.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

And just so we're straight. Mickey Mouse is black. Bunny Boots are white.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I use electric boot dryers on my ski boots right after I wear them. Why not on any other boots?

Do you know how long the extension cord would have to be?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Didn't quite get that you were talking about keeping them dry while out 'n about. (yeah, I see it in post #1 )
    Never mind.

Those Mickey mouse and Bunny boots are tricky biz, and there's a lot of mis-information out there on them. I bought them thinking you inflate them and the air layer keeps your feet warm, not so. You don't inflate them at all. Of course the first thing I did is inflate them, hopefully with dry breath, lol. They still work nevertheless. I don't think one breath would put enough moisture in there to ruin them, but it has no way to escape once you put it in there.

I got mine for under 30 bucks + shipping used. They look like new.

rwc1969 your not suppose to put air in them or your to suppose to blow your own air in them.I found some on line between 35 to $50, but theres a store selling them close to home just to see how they fit.I think there like $45.

When I was in the Navy in VXE-6, we had them when we went to the Antarctica. Almost all had been worn by several people before we got them, and from what I remember, not all that popular with the guy's. Once there was any moisture in them, they got very heavy. Sometimes it would only be one boot, which made walking more awkward than normal. Never had a new set in the two deployments that I made. One of the guy's I work with bought a new pair several years ago, and the first day of ice fishing put a auger bit right into the toe, and ruined them.

walk lightly on the earth wildWoman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wear mukluks with army double wool liners when conditions are cold and dry; you cannot have warmer and drier feet than in them, provided you keep moving.
    For chores around the cabin, I use cheapo winter gum boots with removable feltliners; unfortunately, the rubber on the boots only lasts one year, two years max.
    And I have a pair of Sorel's, luckily bought real cheap because the rubber on those cracked at the end of the first winter already.
    So it's all boots with liners and I have plenty of them to switch around.
    I nurse cracked rubber boots along for another winter or two with duct tape, shoegoo and tire repair patches. I wish they'd go back to making quality - I had a pair of Sorels about 15 years ago that lasted me through six winters. And winter is half the year here.
    Actions speak louder than words

The more I wear these Mickey Mouse clodhoppers the more I like them. They are so warm. I slow hiked about 2 miles in them and it wasn't too bad at all, my feet didn't sweat and they stayed warm, but not hot.

I sat for several hours in the teens and 6" of snow completely still and my feet were comfy and warm. My toes have lots of wiggle room and I only need one thin pair of cotton socks, thin wool is recommended to wick away moisture, but I had no issues.