Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making a knife

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    There is a four part series on Youyube about knifemaking by Green Pete. I'll find them and start a separate thread, so as to not hijack Camp's.
    cool thanks.
    You can be prepared or be lucky and I'm not a lucky person.

Quote Originally Posted by jc1234 View Post
    cool thanks.
    Here's the thread. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...323#post264323
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

yeah, that greenpete guy was good, haven't gotten a chance to watch these videos yet though.

As far as a good kitchen knife, it depends on how much your mom cooks. If she cooks a lot, you're gonna want one that keeps a good edge. If not, then you can get away with not tempering it. Get her an auto sharpner too then. I worked in a kitchen and the knives weren't all that special since it was a campus deli. I sharpened them once a week, but I'm sure other employees were hitting the stainless steel counters with them or cutting on the grill, which no knife would enjoy. I was one of the few people who actually took care of the equipment.

Default ?? about your bandsaw

Camp. Can you tell me what kind of bandsaw you used in these vids? I know there are lots of good ones out there but your's seemed to be fairly compact but still did the job well. Those are the two things I want most when I buy a new bandsaw after the first of the year. Btw Ya did I think a real good job on the vids.

Oldtrap
    Last edited by oldtrap59; 12-17-2010 at 11:50 PM. Reason: aditional comment
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrap59 View Post
    Camp. Can you tell me what kind of bandsaw you used in these vids? I know there are lots of good ones out there but your's seemed to be fairly compact but still did the job well. Those are the two things I want most when I buy a new bandsaw after the first of the year. Btw Ya did I think a real good job on the vids.

Oldtrap
    I'll have to run out and look. I think I have the Grizzly. When I was looking, I found that there was about 4 companies that used the same manufacturer. The reviews were all the same and so I just picked the company that would ship for less. Look for the 1hp motor and the drive gears in oil. There is still a belt to adjust the band speed but the transmission should be the oil filled one. The biggest complaint I have with mine is that the legs are very flimsy and it moves around some on them. The saw weighs quite a bit and the legs are just sheet metal. If I can free up some space in the other side of the room, I plan to make a wooden bench for it and remove the legs it came with.

If I didnt use it for shaping guards and such, I would have just picked up a metal chop saw though...it is much faster, cheaper and would do the same job.

Edit: Mine is from Central Machinery.
    Last edited by Camp10; 12-18-2010 at 09:56 AM.

I recently picked up a portable band saw at a flea market. The plan is to replace the guide arm with a flat aluminum table and then mount the saw in a vice. I'll let you know how it works.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default Part 6

I may have edited to much out of this one..I was trying to keep it close to 10 minutes but I only want to have to make one more...I sure hope this is easier with the handycam I asked santa for!

Cool. I learned some more today.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Default And finally....

Part 7. Thanks for being patient. I cant really say I've enjoyed the editing process of making these but I hope they are helpful. If there is any part that I didnt do a good job explaining, please feel free to PM me and I'll try to get you an answer.

Well done. Thank you.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

thanks I learned alot watching these