Thread: Making Homemade Micarta

Default Making Homemade Micarta

This is a three part video series on how to make your own micarta.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice videos. I like the use of multi-colored micarta, gives the knife a lot of character. Good job.

Banned

Very nice, clear and concise videos. Someday I aspire to make some vids of the stuff I do. I am so tech challanged that my 12:00 on my VCR still flashes, so I fixed that with a lil bit of Gorilla brand tape on the screen face where the 12:00 blinks. I just bought a new camera and trying here and there with stills. Not even close to making vids yet. Yes, I said VCR, I still watch and record on tapes a lot........

Crash, what is the purpose of wetting the inside scales before gluing them to the knife blank?

Quote Originally Posted by OhioGrizzLapp View Post
    Very nice, clear and concise videos. Someday I aspire to make some vids of the stuff I do. I am so tech challanged that my 12:00 on my VCR still flashes, so I fixed that with a lil bit of Gorilla brand tape on the screen face where the 12:00 blinks. I just bought a new camera and trying here and there with stills. Not even close to making vids yet. Yes, I said VCR, I still watch and record on tapes a lot........

Crash, what is the purpose of wetting the inside scales before gluing them to the knife blank?
    The wetting step is called for in the directions (yep, I really read them) of the glue I'm using when one or more of the surfaces is hard/non-porous.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Cool video, very well explained thanks.

Banned

* runs to look at the Gorilla glue bottle..... dang, yep, been using the stuff for years and never knew that LOL Although almost all I use it on is wood and leather. I use an aweful lot of the stuff and get it in gallon jugs with air sealed pump tops.

After seeing your video here, I was thinking of making a set of home made micarta grips in Olive Drab/Black/Dark Tan for my Para-Ord Nite Hog .45. ............ maybe even re-handling a Cold Steel SRK by taking the kryton handle off and replacing with the same colors as the one for the nite hog.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

I have some CrashCarta in process today.... black blue jeans, older US Army Olive Drab BDU material and the new digital tan camo material. I took some pics, just no time to upload. It is drying and curing right now in between the boards.

Crash, have you ever worked with Kevlar material. I have an old bullet proof vest that has been rendered useless due to UV light on the kevlar......It is a yellow color....?

I have not worked with kevlar. Should work though. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Fantastic videos, thanks for taking the time to put them together.

Excellent tutorials.