Thread: New old rifle

Default New old rifle

Guy I work with asked me the other night if I was interested in an old 22 rifle he had. Said it wouldn't fire and was pretty much a piece of junk. Well I told him that I would take a look at it. Now as I have said before I'm no gun expert but I do know how to clean and take care of one. Anyway. I went over and picked it up yesterday. ya never seen anything it. Little rust but dirt like you can't believe. The side ejector jammed half way open and could see a cartrage still in the chamber. The loading tube so tight it wouldn't move. At least the safty for what it was worth still moved in and out. It was generally a mess. I asked him if he had ever shot it. He told me that his brother had had it in the barn for years and he didn't know how long it was since it had been fired but he was sure it was not loaded. Ya right. Anyway to make this a bit shorter I got it home and took it apart. Found the round in the chamber to be spent. Got some gun cleaner down in the feed tube and finally got that to come loose. (found 5 rounds in the feed tube) Ran the barrel with cleaner brush and patches.( barrel looks good now) Cleaned out the rest of the working part of the gun and gave it a shot of good gun oil. Ejector works fine now. Took it out today and shot a nice group at about 35 yards after some site adjustment. Anyway I called him this evening and asked him what he wanted for it? He said being it was in such bad shape if I wanted it I could have it for $20. Of coarse I told him I'd catch him at work tomorrow with a $20 in hand. I now own a JC Higgins model 120. It's an old gun I know but it's in pretty good shape now. (Maybe I should have told him that) Going to try it on some squirrel this weekend.

Oldtrap
    Last edited by oldtrap59; 12-09-2010 at 09:41 PM.
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Nice work OT! Nothing like giving a orphan a new, loving home!

Chief Executive Officer of All Operations

Wow, This happened to me not too long ago. I was helping my neibor clean out his house, and I came across his childhood 22. I asked him what I should do with it, and he said to put it in the back seat of my truck. Done. Free. All I need to do is track down a clip for it, and throw on a scope. Should be fun. Congrats on the cheap gun!

Outstanding, just gives me the warm fuzzies to hear about a rescue.
    Congrats.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I am with hunter63. Congrats. Reminds me how I got an old Marlin 30-30 that was in great shape for next to nothing from a "non gun guy" years ago because the front sight was gone. Looked like it must have just fallen off from a loose screw. $8.00 later and I had a perfect gun for the deer woods. Still have it and look forward to using it every year. "One man's trash is another man's treasure".