Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

Hi everyone,
    I'm James, from Long Island, NY, and I stumbled across this site when looking at making knives. The immense amount of knowledge about an almost equal amount of topics locked this in as a new favorite site. I'm not new to forums and forum etiquette and for the most part will be lurking around just reading for the most part since I don't have much knowledge to share. I was a Boy Scout and earned my Eagle badge, but my experiences in the outdoors is limited. I am more skilled than most people in this vast suburban landscape, but thats not a big accomplishment.

Just quick info about me:
    I'm 29, male, and I've been a carpenter most of my life. As far as my skill, preparedness, and experience, I'm definitely a novice, but I'm pretty smart and can figure most things out (as stated, knife making is what made me stumble upon this site, both out of scrap steel and flint knapping).
    I don't spend much time outdoors right now, but would like to get back to it, but with a better knowledge base.

Welcome to the camp.
    -Sam

Banned
    Blog Entries

A warm welcome from Alaska.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome home, James.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Hello and welcome
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

'elo and welcome to the forum.

Hunter63, Saying, Hey, and Welcome.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Glad to be here. I've got a lot to learn and this seems to be the best place to learn it. I definitely prefer to learn from those who have done it than from a book.

Oh, and I've been told that my great great grandmother was a Native American. I've been told from the Blackfeet tribe, but I've not confirmed this. I'm definitely interested in learning about that part of my heritage if any of you guys are well versed in Native American tribes, culture, or history.

Welcome, there are some members near you. Where on the island are you?
    I know what hunts you.

Welcome to the forum
    I can fix anything with my 12 Gauge and my big knife

I've seen a couple from NYC in the Bugging out of NYC thread (forgive me if I get terms wrong, it took me forever to figure out BOB... lol). I'm actually out about 60 miles from NYC. I'm right near SUNY Stony Brook for anyone who is familiar with Long Island.

I also spent some time in Pennsylvania for college and lived there for a couple of years. I was right outside of Harrisburg.

And I'm LOVING this site. I've learned an absurd amount of information already, mainly how ill prepared I am for any type of catastrophe. Though really, where I am, the only way out is across the sound. Roughly 20 million makes leaving rather difficult... lol

Well here is where planning and preperation start. If you have questions feel free to ask. My sister used to live out at Port Jefferson and my great aunt lived in Rockaway about 3 blocks from Rockaway playland and right across the street from the boardwalk. In your case, I would look into buggin' in as your primary and buggin' out as secondary. I'm out on the west coast now in an urban area but at least I have a back door out of here.
    I know what hunts you.

Welcome from Gotham.

James, if you come across a term you don't understand, we have a section on what abbreviations mean.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...isplay.php?f=8
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Hello and welcome.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by SARKY View Post
    Well here is where planning and preperation start. If you have questions feel free to ask. My sister used to live out at Port Jefferson and my great aunt lived in Rockaway about 3 blocks from Rockaway playland and right across the street from the boardwalk. In your case, I would look into buggin' in as your primary and buggin' out as secondary. I'm out on the west coast now in an urban area but at least I have a back door out of here.
    Thats my town, small world.

And thanks guys, I'm stilll looking around the site learning the basics of whats going on here. Wish I had something to contribute, but you guys seem to have survival on lock.

JPG, you managed to survive for 29 years, so you must know a thing or two.