Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: So You're Looking For The Best Survival Knife... What Do You Do?

Blog Entries

Cool Wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by -FinnSurvivor- View Post

I have the impression that Moras are considered as a beginners knives?
    Even though many many people use them...contruction workers,bushcract dudes etc.

Can anyone recommend a knife that has a similar quality vs. price ratio than Mora?
    Cody Lundin uses the Mora exclusively as does Mors Kochanski; both teach survival skills. Sometimes people want something that is sturdier than the Mora or they think it looks "cooler." Here's the skinny on any good knife that you might like to use in a survival situation:

A good survival knife has the following:

1.) A good blade that can hold a decent edge but will sharpen easily under bad conditions.

2.) A full tang, or one that has a partial tang but works well anyway like the Mora.

3.) Fits into your budget.

Also, please note, this can also apply to a kitchen knife like a butcher knife...they make great survival knives. It's not rocket science and the term "survival knife" is misused a lot. A true survival knife is the knife you happen to have when disaster strikes. If you're one of those who can afford an expensive knife and are lucky enough to have it on you at the time, well there you go....
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MrFixIt View Post
    I think that Mora knives are a gateway to higher end knives, but I like and use them.

Check out "Condor Tool and Knife". Nice stuff with an inexpensive price.
    I'll do that...thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge47 View Post
    Cody Lundin uses the Mora exclusively as does Mors Kochanski; both teach survival skills. Sometimes people want something that is sturdier than the Mora or they think it looks "cooler." Here's the skinny on any good knife that you might like to use in a survival situation:

A good survival knife has the following:

1.) A good blade that can hold a decent edge but will sharpen easily under bad conditions.

2.) A full tang, or one that has a partial tang but works well anyway like the Mora.

3.) Fits into your budget.

Also, please note, this can also apply to a kitchen knife like a butcher knife...they make great survival knives. It's not rocket science and the term "survival knife" is misused a lot. A true survival knife is the knife you happen to have when disaster strikes. If you're one of those who can afford an expensive knife and are lucky enough to have it on you at the time, well there you go....
    I wouldnt buy an expensive knife (100---->) because I dont spend THAT much time in the wilderness...so it just would be lying around without use.
    And another thing is,that in Finland it is illegal to carry knives that have longer blades than 5cm.
    Although chances to get caught having a knife on you are very small.

In my area I could find "a survival knife" for 15€,but I must say that if I was in a survival situation...i'd rather be without it
    It's a ****ty little look a like of rambo style knife...

I usually carry (when in wilderness) a small kithen knife with me...the kind that is used to peel fruits etc.
    It's made by Fiskars and it is very good for cleaning fish (and cooking in general)...also it gives a lot of sparks when used with my fire steel...a lot more than the scraper and the spine of my Mora combined.

Thank you for your good response

Blog Entries

I am a maker so I can make what I like in the steel I like. That said tend to lean toward a rather large belt knife ( 9-10" blade) paired with a necker between 3. to 4" blade but if I had to chose one I would opt for the large belt knife. It fits my geographic area and goals with wilderness skills. Along with a silky saw its a prefect setup for me and allows me to quickly with fewer calories burned build a shelter, process wood for a fire and craft weapons and whittle trap triggers.

My current necker is a simple 4' scandi from A2. 26* bevels

As for my big belt knife I am replacing it with another one to try out for awhile . 1/4" CPM M4 1 3/4 to 2" at the widest 10" long. Think BladeSport comp knife. Shooting for 24oz total weight with a tad of forward balance and a dropped handle. I may change the specs a little before I cut the M4 but it will stay true to its roots. Advancements today in metallurgy offer a tremendous advantage to us in the field when geometry and heat treat is correct.
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Erratus
    its a prefect setup for me

I think you've cracked the code.

I have the a lot of knives, i'm trying not to purchase any more. I have a Mora Bushcraft Survivial. The one with the firesteel and the stone on the sheath. If i'm in the woods that knife is with me
    http://www.moraofsweden.se/adventure...survival-black
    I think it is about as good as it gets. I have knives i have paid a lot more $$$ for but i carry the Mora

Just got this in the mail yesterday. Bought it used and the original owner had modified the handle.
    I like the feel of it and after about 30 minutes with a diamond stone and strop, will shave the hair off my arm.

A Condor Bushlore
    Bushlore@.jpg
    When all else fails, read the directions, and beware the Chihuahuacabra!

I have enjoyed reading this thread, viewing what other folks use in real life. I am hard pressed to think about survival with just one knife. If something happened random while I was at work I guess my immediate survival knife would be the knife I have on me. Currently a bench made folder. When I was in the Army, besides a sheath knife (gerber) I always carried a buck 500 folder in a leather belt case. I did a lot with that little folder. I believe it is thinner and a little shorter than some of the more reviewed buck knives. I don't carry the buck anymore - I still have it and it but retired it. I think I bought it in the late 70s. I don't know that much about some of the newer knives discussed here but think I want to read up on the mora- mentioned several times in this thread. New to me may be 20 years old.
    I just bought a machete to use on my property that I have not used enough to know if I will like or not. It is like a heavy knife though -OKC SPEC PLUS MACHETE. I like made in USA stuff and thought I would give it a try.

My wife picked me up a T.O.P.S. Field craft b.o.b. Knife for my birthday. She gave it to me today early. This is one nice knife. I researched tops knives and I like that everything is done by hand for the most part. And made in the USA!

Bob

Bob