Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So You're Looking For The Best Survival Knife... What Do You Do?

Default So You're Looking For The Best Survival Knife... What Do You Do?

(Decided to make a "what's the best knife" thread that can be stickied to avoid future "what's the best knife" posts. Recommend additions as necessary).

Welcome to the wonderful world of biased opinions, individually personal experience, and advertising gimicks. You can read up on article after article on Knife A on one site, but low and behold another sight recommends Knife B above all others. Likewise you'll see ads throughout your search sporting "the most complete survival knife package!" for only $45. So which one are you going to chose? Are you going to chose by brand? Reviews? Price? Military? Oh your head must be spinning by now like a 1950s cinematic drunk scene.

OK, OK, sit down a second. Here's a cool glass of water. THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL BEST SURVIVAL KNIFE. Sorry. Let this be clear and bold in your mind. It's like the perfect hiking boot. Everyone's tastes are different, everyone's foot shape is different, and everyone's expectations and situations are different. It's just not going to happen. So these recommendations are just that, recommendations. If someone says "this knife is the best knife, hands down, don't look any farther" then for the sake of all that is filled with chocolate mousse, keep looking!

Now let me run you through the things you should be looking for first and foremost:

1 Blade material
    2 Tang construction
    3 Blade length
    4 Point strength
    5 Blade thickness
    6 Handle construction
    7 Guard type
    8 Fixed vs Folding?

Now I'm not going to say the perfect type in each of the above 6 categories because, again, everyone has a different preference. I'm in the sub-boreal region near Canada so my needs and expectations are different than someone living in Arizona or Florida. But I'll try to narrow the choices so you can stay on track with what is "expected" of a survival knife.

1. Blade Material
    You have two, and only two, choices here. High quality CARBON STEEL and high quality STAINLESS STEEL. The difference between carbon steel and stainless steel is that carbon steel is harder, holds an edge better and works with flint to produce sparks. Stainless steel is generally softer, doesn't hold and edge as well but does not rust easy. So for wet or humid environments, stainless would be your best bet. For heavy work or cutting hard objects (like in bushcrafting), carbon will be your friend. Do not be fooled by knives stamped with "made in China". These are notoriously bad quality steel (most of the time stainless steel) even if the manufacturer is name brand.

2. Tang Construction
    Only accept full tang construction. This means the billet of steel that forms the blade extends the length and width of the handle. What does this mean? Solid, rugged construction that will not break under pressure or strain. Most "survival knife packages" that have the hollow handle have a false tang construction meaning the handle and blade are held together by rivets, a bolt or even glue (shudder). At the first whack your blade will break off. DO NOT BUY THESE CHEAP IMITATIONS. There is a middleground tang construction called narrow tang where the tang tapers as it enters the blade. It's almost as strong as full tang and provides adequate durability but it's just not the same.

3. Blade Length
    Here is where regionalisms causes differing opinions. Now a person new to survival may look at a Rambo or Bowie and think "wow, I can survive with that" but trust me, you can't. These big knives are made for combat, person vs person, not bushwork and survival. However if you are in a jungle, a machete is a notable exception. A kukri as well, though it may not be able to do smaller jobs. The generally accepted blade length range is between 4 and 6 inches. Mors Kochanski, the premiere Canadian bushcrafter, recommends a knife blade no longer than the width of your palm. Any longer and it becomes cumbersome and heavy, and any shorter it cannot function well. PLEASE AVOID 12" BOWIES AS SURVIVAL KNIVES.

4. Point Strength
    You use the point more often than you think so it's important it won't break in the field. Usually based on the thickness of the overall blade, the point does not need to be thin and razor-sharp for it is not made for thrusting into a man like a bayonet. A good test for point strength is to thrust the point into a log or 2x4 with all your strength and pry it out, without pulling. If the tip bends or breaks, you know the knife is not adequate.

5. Blade Thickness
    Too thin and the knife will not hold up to the rigors of life in the bush. Too thick and it becomes to cumbersome to do any job effectively. A general range is between 5/23" and 1/4". If your blade is thinner, don't try to pry or do heavy chopping work with it as it's designed for lighter loads such as cutting cordage, carving and skinning. If the blade is thicker, it can be used more easily as a hacking device or for prying. There are pros and cons of each thickness but try to stay within this range.

6. Handle Construction
    While the rest of your knife may be solidly build, a cheap plastic handle can break and leave you with just a piece of steel blade. Make sure the handle material is a quality rubber, wood, or synthetic material. If you have any doubt, google the handle material and look for reviews and quality tests.

7. Guard Type
    Many people ignore the guard but if you want to fully utilize the knife, the proper guard is important. For fighting and combat, a full guard (top and bottom, even sides) are important as they deflect the opposing blade from your hand but for bushcrafting you may want to move your hand up on the blade for delicate work. No guard, on the other hand, is an accident waiting to happen. A slippery handle can cause your fingers to slip over the blade edge. I've come to recommend an underside guard only (a slight guard that separates your fingers from the blade edge). This protects your hand while maintaining freedom to work with the knife from any hand position.

8. Fixed vs. Folding?
    Usually a survival knife is fixed. Why? Because no moving parts means no possibility of part failure. However a good dependable folder can stand toe-to-toe with the best fixed blade. The choice is yours.

Other Thoughts
    *The knife sheath protects your knife as well as yourself. A good quality plastic sheath is pretty much the standard nowadays though leather is still a popular choice. Make sure there is a way to secure your knife in the sheath such as by a strap or buckle. If you invert the sheath, the knife should not fall out.
    *A lanyard hole in the handle of the knife is a useful addition as you can attach a good quantity of paracord for survival use. It can also work as a wrist strap if you don't want your knife to fall from your hand during work.
    *Serrations are useful when you plan to cut fabric and synthetic materials such as climber's rope. If you do not plan to do this type of work in the bush, avoid serrations as they are incredibly difficult to sharpen in the bush.
    *"Saw blade" knives, that have teeth on the blade spine (or top of the knife), meant to cut wood usually are not efficient at it. You see these a lot on the "rambo" knives but the history of these notches can be traced to bayonets, ripping the internal organs as they penetrate. So in fact most of these notches can't even cut wood. Try to avoid these effects as much as possible.
    *Keep your knife sharp at all times and protect it against the elements. A dull or rusty knife can be the cause of more injuries than a keen, clean blade.
    *Rockwell Hardness Factor: Look for steel hardened at least above 57. The higher the number, the harder the steel. However be aware that steel higher than 60 will be more difficult to sharpen so you may need to get a diamond honing stone.

So if the knife you are looking at on Site Y meets the criteria above, you can be sure it'll be a great survival knife. You don't need the "best" and you won't be getting the "worst". All top 10 (if there is a universal rank out there, which there is not) knives have the above properties. So long as the knife you're looking at getting has them, you have a top 10.

Still not convinced or undecided?
    Well here is a short (SHORT!) list of recommended, tried and true, survival knives:

• Cold Steel SRK (personal experience has taught me the 6" blade is a little too long for most tasks, though it helps in splitting wood via baton)
    • Buck Vanguard
    • Becker BK10
    • Fallkniven H1
    • SOG Seal Pup
    • Frosts Mora S-1
    • RAT-3 or RAT-5
    Last edited by MCBushbaby; 03-22-2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Edited Recommended Knives (after months of delay)
    WARNING: This post may contain abusive language, textual violence, & a tendency to walk the line.
    This information is confidential and intended for the recipient exclusively. If you are not the recipient please notify the poster immediately and destroy the received post. Any non-member viewer of the private information contained within this post will incur a fee of no more than $25 plus legal costs. By reading this you acknowledge the above and consent to me hunting on your property.

Good post...i would add 2 to your SHORT list.

Full-size USMC KA-BAR.
    Ontario RAT.

Blog Entries

Great post Mitch, and all true. Buuuuuuuut I would say I like the home made old style knives better such as a longhunters knife, but that's just me.
    Great post.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

This is the type of knife I am looking for
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    To me (and its only opinion now) this is the best, I have used several like this before but need a new one if anyone can make one like this give me a pm or let me know.
    Thanks
    Beo,
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

The best knife is the one you have used, cared for, sharpened, have faith in
    and have with you at the time of need.
    Lots of people buy/chase the next perfect knife and never use any of what they do have.
    Beowulf likes a larger knife style that he has already used, who can fault him, not me.
    To thyne self be true

Anyone have an opinion on a short (4-5" blade) Ka-Bar as a general use survival knife? I just picked up a Buck 119 Special today and it seems overly long as well as a little unbalanced, it seems to want to fall forward when you ease your grip.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

A survival knife is of course the one you have with you. Sounds like you want to carry a blade that can scare everyone who sees it. If you don't have it on you at all times it won't work. I know folks that get a concealed carry permit and a week later they either leave the handgun at home, in the truck or somewhere because it gets heavy & hard to carry. Guess if they need one they can whip out their carry permit and scare their attacker. Carry a decent blade always !!!

Blog Entries

Cool Bravo Mitch C.!!!

Great post Mitch! You've said it all, just about! The only other thing I would add is some info on the "Rockwell Hardness test"! Really enjoyed reading this. You put the whole issue into one easily digested post!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Voyageur enseignant

I agree with Sarge, Mitch ... Super Post! And I do see your "point" (pun intended), about the cumbersome nature of a Bowie style knife. Having larger hands, myself, I still like carrying my USMC Ka-Bar. It wouldn't be the "only" knife I'd have, if I had my druthers. A 4-1/2 inch full tang fixed blade sheath knife of good carbon steel would be my second. Thanks for the great post! NorthWind

Blog Entries

Cool Point about Remy's post.

1st, just let me say that I agree with Remy about the great quality of the USMC Kabar, of which I had before giving it as a gift to my son who served with pride in the US Marines, as well as his opinion of the RAT-7. They are definately high-quality knives. I would not, however, recommend them as "Survival knives" as they conflict with what Mitch was laying down in Point #3; Blade Length. ("...between 4-6 inches..."). I do believe that some of us could handle either of these knives well, but that doesn't make them a "Survival" Knife in the true sense of the word. I would, however, recommend the Buck Vanguard with the Rubberized handle as it's short blade length is more keeping in line with what Mitch was teaching. Just my "2 pennies."
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Great post.

In my opinion......... the best survival knife is the one that you have on you when the survival mode starts....... to do the hourly, daily chores to keep you in the "surviving mode" until you no longer need to practice surviving.

Example: this very minute, the knife you have on you is to be used for your survival........

Robbie Roberson.

I think some here maybe have been misled by some of the older knife steel "myths". I do not consider myself a know-it-all in the knife world, but I am a maker. Carbon steels are for the most part softer than stainless. Most carbon steel knives are tempered to have a hardness of around 54 to 57 rc. While most stainless knives are a bit harder 57 to 60, with some of the so called super steels running around 60 to 62. This is the reason for the poularity of the diamond hones with a lot of knife "folks".

Believe me when I say this is not to knock carbon steel at all. As several here may already know, some of the softer carbon steels can and do actually hold an edge longer than there stainless counterparts. I myself prefer stainless for my folding knives . Which includes everything from Saks to high tech one handers. But for anything fixed it's carbon steel for me. Tougher , more flexible and easier to sharpen.

I would also like to add that Stainless doesn't mean "rust free" either. It means it "stains less". Rusts less that is. I live in N.E. Miss. and still, in our very humid weather, prefer carbon steel for my fb's. I have had stainless rust from a day's light use , mostly due to bead blasted coarse finish. When a light coat of oil or Tuff Cloth will protect a carbon blade for a good while. Try mineral oil (food grade) if you plan on using the blade for food prep.

Hope this helps. Steve

I think ya'll are missing the point and riding around in the back of the turnip truck. Read Mitch's first bulleted item. THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL BEST SURVIVAL KNIFE. Everything after post #1 is pretty much opinion, which Mitch artfully dodged. By the way, Mitch. You missed my little Buck folder on the list.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I would have to agree with Rick. Mitch's run down mirrors almost exactly the criteria most wilderness survival instructors recommend in a knife. As I mentioned earlier, I picked up a Buck 119 and found it's 6" length to be to long for my taste. It also seemed to have little balance. I perfer 4-4.5" blade length as it affords far more control especially for individuals who have less experience with using knives. But like a good pair of boots, everyone has their own "fit".
    BTW Rick, do you have any experience with the Vanguard? I have been looking for a while to check out that knife but closest I have come to it is a Buck Zipper...Which looks similar but has the gut hook...Any info would be great...thanks

Blog Entries

Default Yo Scott...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I would have to agree with Rick. Mitch's run down mirrors almost exactly the criteria most wilderness survival instructors recommend in a knife. As I mentioned earlier, I picked up a Buck 119 and found it's 6" length to be to long for my taste. It also seemed to have little balance. I perfer 4-4.5" blade length as it affords far more control especially for individuals who have less experience with using knives. But like a good pair of boots, everyone has their own "fit".
    BTW Rick, do you have any experience with the Vanguard? I have been looking for a while to check out that knife but closest I have come to it is a Buck Zipper...Which looks similar but has the gut hook...Any info would be great...thanks
    I have both the Vanguard and the 120/Buck General. The General is the longer version of the 119. I gave MY 119 to my younger son, who really likes it, BTW
    I view both the 119, 120, and Ka-Bar as good all-around "hunting knives". But the balance on the Buck VG is great and it makes a great "Survival" knife.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin

No, Scott, I don't. I've never used it. I was just offering a bit of irony to Mitch. His short list is growing by the post.

I should have cited Hopeak for his sage advice (might even warrant a reference in your write up Mitch along with Sarge's suggestion on hardness).

Hopeak - That little bit of advice would serve well in just about any of life's conversations. Men with Mr. Reeves' insight are a rare bread and worth listening to.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Default I agree with...

Carcajou Garou he's right, the best knife is the one you have used and are used to, no one... not anyone on this forum or even the God of War Ranger Rick can tell me that my longhunter knife is not a great survival knife, hand forged and crafted is just as good if not better than mass produced cold steel machine made knives (which by the way I do like and trust as a good knife) SOG knives, or any other knife on the market, price does not make a good knife, craftmenship and the uses it has makes a good knife. Everything from the K-Bar is the best to SOG, to Cold Steel or even my own knife is a personal preference. I have seen the expensive SOG SEAL knife break under normal use, not sh*t it broke when the back side was being used to pry open a tin in a C-Rat meal. Now I know this isn't how you should use this knife, but for that amount of money ($100.00 to $160.00)... chedder... moola... coin... or what ever you wanna call it I better be able able to pry open the lid of a can. What I'm trying to say here boys and girls the best knife for you is the one that you are comfortable with.
    Lets not beat this to death. And don't forget what I asked in my above post
    Beo,

Protector Of The Land MedicineWolf's Avatar

Carcajou Garou & Beo are right.
    Living in the Northern part of the Lewis and Clark National Forest as a Ranger with US Forestry Service... What more could a guy want

Blog Entries

Ahhh thank you, thank you very much.

Blog Entries

I've got a rock downstairs that has gutted a few deer, (not mine) hogs (yes, mine) and has skinned out numerous hogs, deer, otters, and a raccoon.

It's the best knife for that job.