Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: poison ivy remedies

Default poison ivy remedies

I have never gotten poison ivy myself but I have gotten burning weed many times. My dad was immune to poison ivy so maybe that’s the case for me as well. These are some natural remedies I found online for poison ivy, poison oak, burning weed, poison sumac and stuff like that

Tee Tree oil apply freely
    Touch-me-nots boil it and apply
    Rhubarb brake open stem and rub on infected area
    Goldenseal Root powder and Aloe Vera make a paste out of Goldenseal Root powder and Aloe Vera Gel. Rub it onto the infected area.
    Vicks vapor rub Clean the infected areas first and then rub Vick's on the areas twice a day or more.
    Baking Soda apply a paste made of baking soda and water to the rash. Allow this paste to dry before washing off.
    Baking soda and coffee put about a half a cup baking soda in a bowl and slowly add cool coffee to make a thick paste. Then apply the paste liberally to the affected area and allow to dry. The poison will flow out of the blisters like water.
    Apple cider vinegar or some other vinegar will do
    Table salt stops spreading
    Banana peel rub it on the infected area
    Hemorrhoid ointment rub on infected area
    Peachtree leaves Get some leaves from a peach tree, boil them and then let the water cool. Take a cotton ball and apply the liquid to the affected areas
    Broad-leaved Plantain a common weed which grows throughout the US, mash the leaves and pack the pulp on the infected area

To help prevent breakouts scrub with a grease cutting dish soap immediately after contact. Pleas share any other recopies and which ones you think work the best.
    Last edited by owl_girl; 05-14-2007 at 04:22 PM.

im not sure but cant you use raw honey?
    sanity is for the weak

o and I ussaly use the plantains
    sanity is for the weak

Touch-me-nots, or jewelweed, is best not boiled, but steeped like tea. Bring the water to a boil, remove from heat, throw in the plant, including stems and leaves, and steep for ten minutes or so. It can be used for all kinds of skin iritations, and its useful to know that it is also antifungal and somewhat antiseptic, although honey is a better antiseptic if you have some (recommended). The jewelweed infusion or "tea" does not keep well on a shelf or in the fridge, but retains its useful characteristics if frozen. It is ok to boil it, but not quite as potent. The plants can be eaten, but after cooking down, it shrinks considerably so you need a ton of it and it does not taste like much. Might as well eat it as throw it away though if you are hungry. The ripe seeds are edible and quite good.

Touch me not does not need to be boiled. Simply mash the leaves and rub on affected area. I have not tried this on poison ivy but I have tried it on stinging nettle and it works tremendously well. Pain and swelling from nettle was gone in 1 minute. Now how many expensive presciption drugs can say they work in a minute?

For the ivy, if possible, wash the infected area to remove the oils and remove any clothing that the oils may have touched. Otherwise you will spread the oil and the irritation. Then apply the crushed jewelweed.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

My dad has gotten into poison ivy while mowing the yard. He poured gasoline on it and never broke out. Don't know if there's something to that though.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

On the one hand, the gasoline would probably dissolve the oils. On the other, maybe he did have any of the oil on him. (shrug).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I know I'm gonna get ripped apart for this, but I heard urine is good on poison ivy, I have never had it personally even after walking through it many times, for some reason it doesn't cling to me, and I have never pee'd on myself (since age 26 when I quit drinking) or anyone else (see above comment on peeing age... lol) and have no plans to do it in the near or far distant future. But that's what I heard.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I would think there is a smidgen of truth to that because it could wash the oil off the skin. Don't know if it's good for it after you catch it but any liquid would help remove the oil I would think. Just my thoughts rattling around.

Blog Entries

Something about amonia in it if recall correctly.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    have no plans to do it in the near or far distant future.
    Beo If you do get affected, It would be my honor to help you out...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

About half of all people are not affected by poison ivy.

The blisters are actually your own antigens produced in over abundance in response to oils in the plant.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

Jewel weed works great on poison ivy/oak, and it grows all over around here. We steep it into a tea, then freeze it in ice cube trays. Just rub one of the cubes on the affected area.

Kinda messed up...

Poison Ivy, Now With Stronger Poison
    http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/200...ronger-poison/

Good info Ray. When you get a chance, head on over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That is a good article. Makes sense. I wonder if the flip side is they also produce more O2 because they are more robust and growing faster. Respiration is a two way street.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    I know I'm gonna get ripped apart for this, but I heard urine is good on poison ivy, and have no plans to do it in the near or far distant future. But that's what I heard.
    Forget what Gray Wolf said, bro, when I see you I'm just going to assume that you've been affected by poison ivy and.....
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Now that's a friend!
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

I heard Tomatoe paste works for temp relief.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-