Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fatwood opinions ?

Well WE to sum it up the vids show me going around and kicking into stumps and fallen logs of Scotch and Red pine to get through the punky rotten wood, anything solid that's left is Fatwood. Typically all the branches are fatwood/ pine knots from the core to about 1 foot out on the branch and typically the entire core of a tree is fatwood. For instance, Say a 12 to 18" diameter tree has a central 3" core of solid fatwood running it's entire length and all the branches are pine knots. But, not every tree has it, but most do. Most of our pines have been attacked by bugs.

I was never able to find fatwood before because I never bothered to kick off the punky wood to get down to it. I just looked at pine stumps and such and said " huh, those are just rotten, no fatwood there" You have to kick them open to find it. If you stub your toe you know you're golden.

And if the fatwood is exposed it will look like grey weathered wood, but if you slice off that outer layer you'll see the fresher golden waxy fatwood underneath.

Gathering with U.S.F.S. downed wood permit in the Stanislaus National Forest,Sierra Nevadas. I found lots of pine knots all layed out in rows where the tree had rotted away with very little punk on them. I suspected they were Sugar pine. The cones of the digger pines have lots of resin also.
    Great stuff.
    Use too much of these and you have no creosote buildup, it'll burn out. Yikes!!!

Might survive, might not Brazito's Avatar

I didn't find any locally so headed over to ebay, quite a few options there for purchasing.
    I was so depressed last night thinking about the economy, wars, jobs, my savings, Social Security, retirement funds, etc., I called the Suicide Hotline.

I got a call center in Pakistan, and when I told them I was suicidal, they got all excited, and asked if I could drive a truck.

I have fatwood in my fire kits. I always have trouble finding any to harvest so I end up having to buy it. One month I actually just need to go out and see if I can find any to harvest. I just have to make the time.

My wife is not found of the smell when it's burning though.

I didn't realize you could get it through the punky wood as RWC shows. I just assumed it was not available around here but now, like you Roar-K, I have to start looking for it.

WE - There's something wrong when a wilderness student wants high speed internet. I think the world just wobbled or something. (yeah, you really do need it!)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

i may have been guilty of half heartedly kicking at a rooted stump and saying nope none around here, i was out in some bush fires this year and absolutley plan on heading up to where they was and seeing what i can find, but will plan on being a wee bit more observant with the other pines as well thanks rwc you da man
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

I haven't found much here in Wisconsin, although the old cut overs at the family homestead, was supposedly mostly denuded by the lumber companies around 1900, then the land sold.

I have been spending a little time there, no luck so far.

I pick mine up in Louisiana when visiting DD and SIL, lots laying around in the deer lease/pine plantation, both stumps and dead logs w/outside rotted off.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I use fat wood starting my wood stove, In fact its going to be cold here in Fla. tonight. All ready got er going.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle69 View Post
    i may have been guilty of half heartedly kicking at a rooted stump and saying nope none around here, i was out in some bush fires this year and absolutley plan on heading up to where they was and seeing what i can find, but will plan on being a wee bit more observant with the other pines as well thanks rwc you da man
    I can't take full credit for this observation as it was a pic-torial from another forum and a youtube vid he made that gave me the insight to be mre observant. I gave credit in the vids, but you can't see them and it probably wouldn't be appropriate to post the other forum here.??

Because I did the same thing, kick a stump and say "nope, no fatwood there", LOL! you just have to kick a little more is all.

I will take credit for the fatwood bearing block idea as that one is all my own,

I seem to have a mindset, that leads me to keep watch for stuff, as I'm sure many of y'all do.
    The fat-wood is just another example of things to look for, as lately I have been looking for the elusive fire fungus, can tell you how many tree fungus's I have collected in the last year.......so far, none can catch a spark???????
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

RWC - I suppose the first guy that kicked a log and found fatwood had probably never heard of Europeans. Not on the this piece of land anyway. Sharing is how we learn. We sort of mentor one another so where ever you learned it is fine by me.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

RCW, great videos, Thanks a lot.
    Karl

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion the the effort he puts into whatever field of endeavor he chooses. Vincent T Lombardi

A wise man profits from the wisdom of others.

I can't believe so many people don't know about fatwood or where to find it. I thought every woodsman worth his salt could harvest a little starter pine. I always thought that was just something you learned in Boy Scouts and was fairly common knowledge. I guess not.

A pine stump is your best friend in the woods when it spitting rain and wet. Shave a little off and start kindling the rest. It burns fast so don't waste it.

Alaska, The Madness! 1stimestar's Avatar
    Little cabin in the woods, middle of Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by RichJ View Post
    I can't believe so many people don't know about fatwood or where to find it. I thought every woodsman worth his salt could harvest a little starter pine. I always thought that was just something you learned in Boy Scouts and was fairly common knowledge. I guess not.

A pine stump is your best friend in the woods when it spitting rain and wet. Shave a little off and start kindling the rest. It burns fast so don't waste it.
    They wouldn't let me in boy scouts lol. I quit girl scouts when they took the boys camping and showed us how to use a dust pan. Guess I was a bit outdoorsy even back then.
    Why do I live in Alaska? Because I can.

Alaska, the Madness! Bloggity Stories of the North Country

"Building Codes, Alaskans don't need no stinking Building Codes." Sourdough

Yes, I have wifi in my outhouse!

Default nice site and nice post

We are a major dealer in fatwood and it is one of the best starters around.

one other thing I would add is we are in WV and the pine trees around here do not work near as well as the ones we import for commercial use. It has to do with the species you get it from we believe.

Welcome FWFS. Why not build a fire over at the Introduction section and tell us about yourself. Word to the wise. You can't post your company information in the body of a post but you can put it in your signature if you wish.

Default thanks Rick

I may go over when I have time and do that. I figure if anyone is interested in our fatwood they can just PM me. We do have some of the best fatwood around and the best prices.

Anyone know of some of the better kind of trees to get fatwood from in the US other than long leaf? That is great some of you have the time and know enough about it to go get your own fatwood.

Quote Originally Posted by fatwoodfirestarters View Post
    I may go over when I have time and do that. I figure if anyone is interested in our fatwood they can just PM me. We do have some of the best fatwood around and the best prices.

Anyone know of some of the better kind of trees to get fatwood from in the US other than long leaf? That is great some of you have the time and know enough about it to go get your own fatwood.
    Please - it may not be your intention, but your psts are starting to sound spammy. We take a dim view of that here.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel