Thread: Tom Brown Tracking School Internship/Caretaker Program...

Default Tom Brown Tracking School Internship/Caretaker Program...

After a lot of debate and deliberation, I've decided that my best choice for tracking and survival education is the local Tom Brown School here in NJ. It meets both my educational needs and prevents the need to relocate. Prior to this I was considering full-year programs at schools like Alderleaf Wilderness college and Anake. While I would really enjoy their programs, the relocation aspect doesn't appeal entirely.

The Tom Brown internship and caretaker program would culminate with experience and references that would be very meaningful within the industry. While I am confident in my desire and abilities, I have a few concerns:

- Throughout the 2 programs, either 6 months or a year, are the students allowed to leave? How often? (Although the position is not permanent, I must maintain my relationship and make myself available for the family from time to time.

My main concerns now are my ability to secure an internship or caretake position, and then balancing my family and work life. Surely, while in class and in the future when on some sort of business, I will be away from the family, but throughout the aforementioned programs, will I be torn away from the outside world entirely? I don't expect it, but its something I'd like to know.

Thank you to anyone with insight.

I think those questions need to be asked of the school and the intern coordinator.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I agree. I'm waiting on a response, I was hoping maybe I'd get some first hand experience to give me some insight. Just a shot in the dark really. Thank you for your help as usual Rick. You do a very good job as an admin.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by miketr View Post
    You do a very good job as an admin.

Hehehehehehehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Sourdough View Post
    Hehehehehehehehe
    Yeah, well, Guys new.........
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Looks like somebody needs a man hug.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I don't know anything about the internship programs but all the base courses are usually only about a week long. A few may be longer. I have a friend who is fairly advanced in the basic courses there and has actually gone on to do some winter camping in the north country with other groups. He plans to retire up that way soon. He says the classes are pretty intense. Once you are there on site, you aren't supposed to leave the site for the duration of the class. Between sessions you come and go as you please unless they are consecutive.

Go with the attitude that you are going to learn and you will probably do well. Don't go with the idea you will actually learn directly from Tom. There are a lot of qualified teachers there besides Tom Brown. The facilities are pretty rough. You need to haul in your campsite though food is provided (and you do some of the work there too.) I haven't been yet but my buddy set me up with a gear list and what to expect. Was supposed to go two years ago but blew cartilage in my knee.

I just checked the website. There is no info yet on the caretaker or internship programs. I believe the caretakers stay on at the primitive site in the off times between classes.
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-07-2010 at 08:42 PM.

Thanks LK. Sucks about your knee. I know I won't learn from Tom or even probably Tom Jr directly. I just want the knowledge to use for myself. I figure those who may hire me in the future might appreciate a name they've possible heard of or at least can find info about. Tom happens to have a program local to me. I'd also love to take courses with Randall Adventure and Training, or Specops (Mykel Hawke), or Ron Hood, or a few other names.

Quote Originally Posted by miketr View Post
    I agree. I'm waiting on a response, I was hoping maybe I'd get some first hand experience to give me some insight. Just a shot in the dark really. Thank you for your help as usual Rick. You do a very good job as an admin.
    I have a deed,passed on to me from my mistic great, great, great, great, Grandfather for a bridge from Key West FL To Cuba. I can let you have it very cheap.

You need to go back and look at that Internship and Caretaker program description a little better. I doubt it's what one would call a full time paying job. And the qualifications seem low for it. Only Basic and what, 3 other classes?

Some people don't like that course cuz of Brown's attitude or celebrity. I'm told a lot of people go to the classes cuz they worship him. If you can put that aside and ignore it, you can learn something there. It is just a stepping stone. They don't teach you wrong things or bad skills but you can only learn so much in a week's time. You will need to move on, take it out on your own with more intense groups to really practice the skills you learn. I don't think the caretaker thing is what you want if you want to do something 'wilderness' and get paid for it.

If you are looking for Park Service, you are going to need a degree of some kind. They are huge on continued schooling and advancement. A lot of their worker base comes from the Scouts, not wilderness training classes (I happen to do a lot of contract work for the NPS).

There's always the SAR fields too. You can get certified in Wilderness First Aid in about 10 days in the field but it sure helps to have some skills to take care of yourself out there in the process of doing the actual SAR.

If you are looking at guiding and hunting I'm willing to bet the only way to do that is to actually do that. Apprenticeship work still exists. There is just some stuff you can't learn by studying. You have to do it.
    Last edited by LowKey; 12-10-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Blog Entries

A good frind of mine has been involved with this school for a few years and is now an assistant instructor if you would like i could ask him to contact you and talk about his experience there. PM me
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

miketr, you seem to be taking a lot of things for granted and are making decisions and planning without all your research complete.

I would need more than a diploma from the Tom Brown Bug Eating Institute to sign on as anyone's unpayed slave for 6 months to a year in order to pay for 6 weeks worth of education.

And as has been said, in many circles the association will do you more harm than good.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Mike, we haven't heard from you about this, but I think it's not likely you'll get in any of the higher-up programs without taking the standard class at the very least. They may even want to see you graduate the Scout program.

Hello Mike,
    I was hoping to find any helpful information here on the forum. What was your final decision and how did it all go? I'm considering a year-long Caretaker program at Tom Brown Jr's Tracker School. It's in New Jersey Primitive Camp.

Forum > Survival > Primitive Skills & Technology > Topic: Research using the survivalist resources via essaydune library collection >> Tom Brown Tracking School
    Last edited by Albrecht; 05-22-2020 at 04:08 AM.

I've sent an email with my application and contacts to registration (at) trackerschool (dot) com, but didn't get any reply yet (it's been 3 weeks already).

Mike may not respond. He hasn't logged on in 10 years.

Since you are in California and the school is in New Jersey (two states with some of the most draconian restrictions in place) it is not surprising that you have not heard back with a world wide pandemic in place. I doubt that they are open yet, or maybe never will.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Discover the 10 best call tracking software apps to optimize your business's call analytics and customer interactions. Check out this valuable resource for enhancing your communication WITH SPAM better tracking and analysis!

You can always try the Wilderness awareness school nearby Seatlle.

Sometimes, seeing all these cases of people that never logged in anymore (sometimes, even my own friends) it's kinda depressing.
    And I'm still only 25 years old... lol
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.