Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thinking of getting rid of my alice

Quote Originally Posted by IaSpanky View Post
    and the other part of selling my pack is my wife is tight with my money ...lol
    In that case, you really shouldn't be spending $60 on a USED pack.

Do your research, find the bag that really and truly is going to do the maximum amount of your desired tasks (no one bag will do it all, no matter what the advertising copy says) and spend the money necessary to get that bag. It will cost you far less in the end to buy the right piece of gear first than to look for cheap alternatives that are never quite right and/or aren't built to really last.

Personally, I find this backpack to be as close to a "one bag for everything" option as any I've ever seen...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nM6wfjuirE

You might also opt for the 1600 sq ft Abomination Series. If you do, opt for the optional drag wheels. The up side is you can ship yourself on flights and avoid airport security.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by IaSpanky View Post
    and the other part of selling my pack is my wife is tight with my money ...lol
    I'm thinking that you have more to worry about than a pack, LOL...........

You need to develop your persuasive skills........or get a lot sneaky-er.
    "No, Honey, It's the same one...left it out in the rain and it grew?...Yeah, that's the ticket"
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-08-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: added stuff
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I've been out of the Army for 13 years, and I still have saddle sores on my back from my ALICE pack. Dump that thing! I think ALICE packs were the result of a dare somewhere, sometime. I just picked up a new 5.11 Rush 72 in Multicam, and it is an awesome pack. just the right size, tons of pockets inside to keep your gear straight, and most of all, it's super comfortable. I ordered it straight from Viking tactics for the best price. Good luck on your decision!
    More like I am now than I was before

What's that old saying? Army suppliers are the lost cost bidder? Something like that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Yeah, well, parachutes are/were a small business set-aside stock class. That makes you feel pretty good as you exit the aircraft.

Also, the only reason I ever got rid of anything was ------ ready ------ D-I-V-O-R-C-E
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Yeah I have to agree on keeping the ALICE pack. JMO But there is nothing tougher or as versatile. True, it might not be as comfortable as others, but that can be alleviated with some mods to it. I have a MOLLE pack, and there is NO WAY I'm getting rid of it. True military surplus stuff is about as tough and versatile as you can find. Looked at some "new" packs recently and you could get a squads worth of packs(MOLLE or ALICE) for the price of a single "back pack"!
    Because a survival situation carries an aura of timelessness, a survivor cannot allow himself to be overcome by it's duration or quality. A survivor accepts the situation as it is and improves it from that standpoint. Prologue from Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen

I under stand you die hard ALICE guys, and respect you. Now don't go crazy but; I bought a government surplus lot of 67 large ALICE for $150. Then got the frames, sold them on ebay for $7.50 each. That was ok but in the time I was selling I looked into other mil. packs. Now dam! The ILBE RECON pack is the end all beat all! Its got 5500 ci in the main pack, then 2 accessory pouches on the sides @ 500 ci each. The best part is the attachable assault pack @ 2100 ci. Now this is the do every thing pack. Full load for the max trip with small back pack for when you go for a walk away from camp. I will upload some picks for you all.

Yes ALICE still good and a strong following but it is 1950's tech.

Gunna be a couple of days my post need to be approved. Then I can show ya all.
    Last edited by cetane; 03-24-2011 at 10:18 PM.

double post sorry
    Last edited by cetane; 03-24-2011 at 11:44 PM.

This is the eberle stock G4 operator pack Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Now it is nice but over priced. It does have the rifle scabbard in it. Thats a FNH F2000 in there barrel just sticks out.
    Good pack but to many pockets kill the load capacity.

Why don't you pack you ALICE and haul it over to the Introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself? You'll like the 21st Century tech there.

I've packed my alice for years,have loved every mile/day that i've used it.Recently I has developed jungle rot,so I ordered a new pack last week,that should arrive this coming week.It's similar to the alice,with a couple more outside pockets,I guess I'll see when it gets here,hopefully I haven't wasted my money,If so,i guess i'll end up getting another alice.We'll see.
    Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body,but rather to skid in sideways,bruised,battered,and totally worn out,shouting "Holy crap.....what a ride!"

I have been lightening load over the years and gotten to the point I don't carry packs anymore and will never go back to it. I keep a packboard for hualing supplies and such but for just going in the field on foot I just carry the basics and enjoy it more. I will camp with more stuff but when I do a boat or ATV does the hualing not me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Survivalist View Post
    I have been lightening load over the years and gotten to the point I don't carry packs anymore and will never go back to it. I keep a packboard for hualing supplies and such but for just going in the field on foot I just carry the basics and enjoy it more. I will camp with more stuff but when I do a boat or ATV does the hualing not me.
    I'm with you.........you can "one more thing" your self into some thing you can'y carry.

So for all you younger guys out there........carry all you can now, but note what you do and don't use...or what can do double duty....so you can lighten it up as you get older.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Have you ever taken a look at Maxpedition's gear? they make quality stuff. www.maxpedition.com

(This isn't spam)
    BEND OVER - Here comes the "change"

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders." - Ted Nugent

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    You might also opt for the 1600 sq ft Abomination Series. If you do, opt for the optional drag wheels. The up side is you can ship yourself on flights and avoid airport security.

Is that a pack or a house?!!