Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: thinking of getting rid of my alice

Default thinking of getting rid of my alice

I was thinking about sellling my large alice pack and frame and going with this bag here http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=713472 Any thoughts from you all? I would be using either bag (alice or the one above) as an all purpose bag not just a bob. Thanks

What's the purpose of changing?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I kinda find the alice uncomfortable, however I got it CHEAP

If the straps are the problem you can upgrade them to the better padded Molle straps. There are several mods online that show how to do it. I upgraded mine and find it a very good pack. I don't think you'll find a tougher pack than the Alice.

http://www.preparedsociety.com/forum...s-straps-4317/

There are just so many mods that can be done to the Alice and so much gear designed for it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything better. That's just my opinion, however.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I didn't know you COULD get rid of a piece of gear?

You just get new gear, try it out, use it,........but never get rid of it!
    I guarantee there will be a time when you will say...I wish I wouldn't have gotten rid of....

If you have to, send it to me, I'll save it for you, so want you want it back, I'll send it back.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Just this weekend I disconnected my large Alice from the frame. I wanted to try packing the frame with smaller modular bags. So far I am in thrilled with the new setup. I'll post it when completed. However, this just means I need another frame for my large alice.
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

"How can you tell a story that has no end?" Doc Carlson

Quote Originally Posted by COWBOYSURVIVAL View Post
    Just this weekend I disconnected my large Alice from the frame. I wanted to try packing the frame with smaller modular bags. So far I am in thrilled with the new setup. I'll post it when completed. However, this just means I need another frame for my large alice.
    LOL, LOL, yeah......Thats what I'm talkin' about..........But never considered "getting rid of it", right?
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    LOL, LOL, yeah......Thats what I'm talkin' about..........But never considered "getting rid of it", right?
    It ain't goin' nowhere, just stacked it with my other 3 packs.....
    Keep in mind the problem may be extremely complicated, though the "Fix" is often simple...

"Teaching a child to fish is the "original" introduction to all that is wild." CS

You can buy shelves for the frame, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Never seen one in person...how does it attach to the frame? I have a good idea where just not how? I was considering making my own...

Blog Entries

Buy American!!!
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

It hooks at the bottom and also you can hook one mid frame. It has two horizontal tabs that just slip over the bar on the frame. Real simple.

http://www.imsplus.com/index.php?tar...oduct_id=30257

Quote Originally Posted by Erratus Animus View Post
    Buy American!!!
    If buying used gear from an American company where is the fault in that.?

These suck, they are loud and don't really attach.

If you have to haul MFC's or MWC's, then they are good as that is what they are designed for.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

and the other part of selling my pack is my wife is tight with my money ...lol

If money is tight, I believe you will pay more for the ruck you are looking at than you will get for the Alice. I don't like to pay more than $25 for medium and large Alice packs with frames.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Buy American (chuckle). I suppose you buy only stuff made by your clan. No? Then stuff made in your town. No? Then stuff made only in your state. No? Well, I guess you have to draw the line on being loyal somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    These suck, they are loud and don't really attach.

If you have to haul MFC's or MWC's, then they are good as that is what they are designed for.
    I was concerned about the purchase for that very reason. I think I'll make my own. I have some .125" aluminum, I think I'll form it 90 deg. and simply bolt it on with wingnuts. I was looking for a bottom more so than a shelf I want my pack to stand on it's own, which it does now with the modular system I am creating but this would protect the bottom of the pack from a wet enviroment, etc. Perhaps I'll play with the design so that it can be easily removed to be used as some sort of tool...several ideas come to mind... cutting board, digging tool,...Anyone have any other ideas to make it multiuse. I'll try and get pics up of my mods to the pack so far tonight.

Well, I have two and I don't think they suck. If you use them to haul with they work just fine.

Well, I have two and I don't think they suck. If you use them to haul with they work just fine.
    I am sure they don't "suck". Thanks for the info! Will post the outcome....