Thread: Please Take A Few Minutes

Default Please Take A Few Minutes

To remember those lost during the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The surprise was complete. The attacking planes came in two waves; the first hit its target at 7:53 AM, the second at 8:55. By 9:55 it was all over. By 1:00 PM the carriers that launched the planes from 274 miles off the coast of Oahu were heading back to Japan.

Poster commemorating
    the attack, 1942
    Behind them they left chaos, 2,403 dead, 188 destroyed planes and a crippled Pacific Fleet that included 8 damaged or destroyed battleships. In one stroke the Japanese action silenced the debate that had divided Americans ever since the German defeat of France left England alone in the fight against the Nazi terror.

Approximately three hours later, Japanese planes began a day-long attack on American facilities in the Philippines. (Because the islands are located across the International Dateline, the local Philippine time was just after 5 AM on December 8.) Farther to the west, the Japanese struck at Hong Kong, Malaysia and Thailand in a coordinated attempt to use surprise in order inflict as much damage as quickly as possible to strategic targets.

Although stunned by the attack at Pearl Harbor, the Pacific Fleet's aircraft carriers, submarines and, most importantly, its fuel oil storage facilities emerged unscathed. These assets formed the foundation for the American response that led to victory at the Battle of Midway the following June and ultimately to the total destruction of the Japanese Empire four years later.
    Here's an account from an Arizona survivor. http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/pearl.htm

When I was stationed in Hawaii, Submarine Squadron 15 was located on Ford Island. It was impossible to pass the Arizona Memorial every day and not think about the men that were still entombed on board. On the opposite side of the island, the rusting hulks of other ships sat quietly as if they were still moored. The chaos that ensued that day was surely horrific.

If you get the chance to talk with a WWII veteran, do not let that chance pass you by. They are leaving us to join their fallen comrades at a very fast pace. They are truly treasures that should be cherished.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

When I worked in MI for a senior home I was lucky to get to know a few.
    One was a Seabee and another was on the Yorktown for the whole war. Sometimes we laugh together, sometimes we cry together. They really helped me understand some of the stuff I am dealing with from my time in.
    -Sam

An important date to remember. Here is the Presidents speech:
    Franklin D. Roosevelt's Infamy Speech
    December 8, 1941

Yesterday, December 7, 1941 - a date which will live in infamy - the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

The United States was at peace with that nation and, at the solicitation of Japan, was still in conversation with its Government and its Emperor looking toward the maintenance of peace in the Pacific. Indeed, one hour after Japanese air squadrons had commenced bombing in Oahu, the Japanese Ambassador to the United States and his colleague delivered to the Secretary of State a formal reply to a recent American message. While this reply stated that it seemed useless to continue the existing diplomatic negotiations, it contained no threat or hint of war or armed attack.

It will be recorded that the distance of Hawaii from Japan makes it obvious that the attack was deliberately planned many days or even weeks ago. During the intervening time the Japanese Government has deliberately sought to deceive the United States by false statements and expressions of hope for continued peace.

The attack yesterday on the Hawaiian Islands has caused severe damage to American naval and military forces. Very many American lives have been lost. In addition American ships have been reported torpedoed on the high seas between San Francisco and Honolulu.

Yesterday the Japanese Government also launched an attack against Malaya. Last night Japanese forces attacked Hong Kong. Last night Japanese forces attacked Guam. Last night Japanese forces attacked the Philippine Islands. Last night the Japanese attacked Wake Island. This morning the Japanese attacked Midway Island.

Japan has, therefore, undertaken a surprise offensive extending throughout the Pacific area. The facts of yesterday speak for themselves. The people of the United States have already formed their opinions and well understand the implications to the very life and safety of our nation.

As Commander-in-Chief of the Army and Navy, I have directed that all measures be taken for our defense.

Always will we remember the character of the onslaught against us. No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

I believe I interpret the will of the Congress and of the people when I assert that we will not only defend ourselves to the uttermost but will make very certain that this form of treachery shall never endanger us again.

Hostilities exist. There is no blinking at the fact that our people, our territory and our interests are in grave danger.

With confidence in our armed forces - with the unbounded determination of our people - we will gain the inevitable triumph - so help us God.

I ask that the Congress declare that since the unprovoked and dastardly attack by Japan on Sunday, December seventh, a state of war has existed between the United States and the Japanese Empire."
    Last edited by Pal334; 12-07-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Have you read the book The Imperial Cruise by James Bradley? It's an eye opener. He also wrote two other great books, Flags of our fathers and Flyboys.

It's not very well known that the first two awards of the Distinguished Flying Cross in WWII were award to two American pilots for action against the enemy at Pearl Harbor. 2nd Lieutenants George S. Welch, 23, of Wilmington, Del. and Kenneth M. Taylor of Hominy, Okla., who, between them, shot down six enemy planes in savage aerial fighting over the Island of Oahu on that morning, earned that award.

Both were asleep in the officer's quarters when the attack began. Lt. Taylor hurriedly pulled on his tux pants that he had worn the night before and actually wore them during combat. Later, he discovered that bullet fragments had ruined them. He was wounded in the arm and leg when that round exploded inside the cockpit only inches from his head. He continued to press on the fight, however. He later said, "It was of no consequence; it just scared the hell out of me for a minute."

In the 2001 remake of Pearl Harbor, Ben Afleck played Lt. Taylor. Jost Harnett played the role of Lt. Welch although both characters' names were changed in the film. However, they were based on the exploits of the two pilots.

Several others got off the ground that day only to disappear forever. That included a pilot that grew up about 7 miles from my hometown. The only thing his mother received of his personal affects was the wallet he left behind. A truly sad day for all.

I just thought you might appreciate a different aspect of the combat that ensued that day.

A very interesting read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_M._Taylor
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Over Taxed Under Paid Swamprat1958's Avatar

Thanks for reminding everyone Crash.

The sad story of the Oklahoma:

When the attack started around 8:00 am Sunday morning many of the crew were sleeping it off in their racks below decks and never made it up to the main deck before the ship rolled over. Father Aloysius Schmitt was conducting church call when battle stations sounded and the men were told "this is no drill." His assigned position was below decks at a dressing station where he could tend to wounded sailors. He would die while trying to help an injured sailor get through an open hatch. Father Schmitt would become the first military Chaplin killed in WW II. He could have made it out but navy protocol dictates, "the senior man is the last to leave" and he was assisting junior sailors scrambling to safety when the ship rolled over.

Men trapped inside started banging on the bulkhead trying to get the attention of passing small boats. On the 8th and 9th of December after cutting holes in the exposed bottom of the Oklahoma, 32 men were pulled out alive. Banging continued through the 10th of December but nothing could be done. The sound was coming from below the water line and the sailors standing watch over the Oklahoma could only wait and listen until the banging stopped and the trapped sailors suffocated.

The three Barber brothers, Leroy, Randolph and Malcom, who joined the Navy together in 1940, were all assigned to the Oklahoma and died, never to be returned home for burial. Four hundred bodies were recovered but only 35 could actually be positively identified.

Most of the remains were buried in a mass grave at the Punch Bowl National Cemetery in Hawaii, with no markings of the crew member's names to tell who might be interned there.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/uss_oklahoma_died.htm

What is not stated here is the fact that a cutting torch was initially used in an effort to free the trapped men. As a result, smoke permeated the inside of the ships cavity and suffocated those inside. After than, an air chisel was used to free as many as possible.

http://www.freeonlineresearchpapers.com/u.s.s.-oklahoma
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Thanks, Crash, for bringing it up.
    Never forget, freedom isn't free.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27