Thread: grub weed

Default grub weed

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hey, that's really neat! Do you have the latin name for it? I've seen some similar stuff around here. never thought to open it to see what was inside tho.

I believe that's goldenrod.

Yeah, RT your are correct, goldenrod gauls have little grubs in them.

We call them weed worms, but do a search and you get a bunch of guys female dogging about worms in their stash, LOL

http://www.google.com/images?rlz=1T4...w=1243&bih=560

Used mostly around here for ice fishing, yeah I know not much ice down south.

Anyway found and picked in the fall, seems like timing for ice fishing, is the reason.

State wildlife area near here has a lot of them, but they get weird if they catch you picking them off the plants.......seems to "harvest" anything, you need a permit, like WTF is the world coming to?
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-10-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: splin'
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

I met a guy ice fishing using these and he was slaying the gills, no one else was catching fish.

Well, this is a new one on me. Apparently, the larvae overwinters by freezing solid! Weird.

http://www.naturenorth.com/winter/gallfly/Fgallfly.html
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by rwc1969 View Post
    I met a guy ice fishing using these and he was slaying the gills, no one else was catching fish.
    LOL, I had an uncle that was an ice fisherman, kept his grubs in his mouth on one side, (to thaw them out) and his chew on the other.

Later in life he seemed to forget which side was which, sometimes, spitting the wrong side, increasing my vocabulary of "bad language" as my mother called it.

Thanks for the link, Rick, didn't think about it too much up to now, myself.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

naturalist primitive your_comforting_company's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hopefully I'll get a chance after deer season to walk back to the area where I saw these in the fall. I'm eager to check them out and try them on some swiftwater bream and black crappie.

Being they live in goldenrod, I wonder if the grubs taste like licorice? My Grandma on my moms side (Lord rest her soul) was a fisherman all my life and she used all sorts of stuff for bait. I wish I'd have had a chance to learn more from her about all she knew.