Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak Fishing

EA, that's an amazing job on the kayak. That thing is beautiful.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Thanks, I am building a plywood one for a trip this next spring as well
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Quote Originally Posted by Erratus Animus View Post
    Thanks, I am building a plywood one for a trip this next spring as well
    Why plywood? Is that for weight? Is the design yours? If not, in your opinion, which plywood design should a novice consider? Are those enough questions? ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Why plywood? Is that for weight? Is the design yours? If not, in your opinion, which plywood design should a novice consider? Are those enough questions? ? ? ?
    You should use Luan for a first build. Everything you ever want to know about starting this craft cam be found here:
    http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...d46f26ae506af2
    These guys are masters at their trade.
    The Pride

Quote Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
    You should use Luan for a first build. Everything you ever want to know about starting this craft cam be found here:
    http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/f...d46f26ae506af2
    These guys are masters at their trade.
    Thanks CM. There ya go Doug. I bet the base has a nice wood working shop. You could save a bundle and learn to make kayaks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    Dont use Luan unless you are able to get ultraply XL , Lowes has it. The glue used to bind Luan is not water proof and there are voids inside the layers that can cause the ply to snap even with glass on the craft. Ultraplay does not have voids and the glue is waterproof as well as many craft have been made and tested using it. I use it myself.

Another problem with Luan is delamination which WILL happen if you use reg Luan. Again the glue is not water proof and once moisture enters the wood it will begin to break down and eventually delaminate. Luan is 10 buck a sheet and Ultra ply XL is 20 so for 10 bucks more a sheet and you only need 3 sheets you have a much safer and higher quality craft.

As for stitch and glue plans i would recommend , Clcboats.com or pigmy boats. Once there look for a craft the is 23-24 wide and that fits your weight and shoe size. If you want to make the boat just buy the plans and resin if you want the kit and just assemble it then buy the kit.

The reason for chosing a stitch and glue craft is Number 1 the cost! The cost of a craft can be built for 300 bucks whereas a strip built boat like in the pics above can be built starting at 500-a couple k.

Number 2 reason is time! I can build a plywood boat in a week from scratch just working in the evening but my strippers take somewhere around 450+ hours of precise planing and fitting to build.

I like the Chesapeake 17 from ClCboats.com It is wide,24", stable efficient and easy to build. It is what I am building yet again, 8#, for a week long trip next spring.

I have been building and using them since 2001 and have loved every minute of it. They are addictive and you will prob never build just one

Quote Originally Posted by AE
    my strippers take somewhere around 450+ hours of precise planing and fitting to build.
    You build strippers?!
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Yes Rick I do ........ you want a 3k stripper or a 5k stripper

Way outta my price league. For $3K they better do a lot more than just strip. They had better paddle themselves, catch the fish, clean them and then load themselves back on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Way outta my price league. For $3K they better do a lot more than just strip. They had better paddle themselves, catch the fish, clean them and then load themselves back on the trailer.
    Don't forget...cook them, serve them, and brag how good of a fisherman you are.
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27