Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Fishing

Default Kayak Fishing

So my buddy in Tennessee has got me wanting to try kayak fishing. I love fishing, always have, and really enjoy being on the water. I think my wife will really enjoy this too. What I like about the kayak fishing is... No registration, no license, no trailer plates, no motor, no fuel cost and just the overall convienence of it. The one bad thing is taking the baby with us. A tandem would work I spose. The kayak I'm looking at is the Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 Angler. It's $1,000 for one and I would need 2. Still cheaper than a Bass Boat though.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Anyone else kayak fish?
    Alaska to Florida, for how long, who knows...

We canoe fish. Is that close? I fly fish almost exclusively while my wife prefers bait and cork.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Kayak fishing is how I spend most of ther summer. I fish mostly off the Texas coast in the Gulf of Mexico, but from time to time hit the freshwater lakes and rivers of East Texas. It's probably the best way to fish solo.
    The Pride

So, CM, how do y'all stop a fish that big in a kayak, LOL, Nice fish!

Kayaks are fun, but are like a sports car boat, rather than a pick-up truck boat, I don't know where you would put everything, especially a little one?

I/we are canoe fishing fans as well, have even picked up a pirogue for solo fishing,
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    So, CM, how do y'all stop a fish that big in a kayak, LOL, Nice fish!
    Actually, we release the anchor that's tied to a buoy and allow the fish to drag you around. It's called a Texas Sleigh Ride. They tire out quickly dragging around my wide rear end. It's the six foot and larger bull, blacktip, and hammerhead sharks that are a problem. I've been pulled two miles down the beach by one. It's entirely too much fun. Hey Doug, in picking the right yak, there are a lot of things to take into consideration. While the Tarpon 120 is a good yak for ponds and small lakes, it has it limitations. The lonfger the kayak, the faster it will travel. In contrast, the wider the kayak, the more stable it will be. So the questions you need to answer are:
    1. How much do I weigh including my gear?
    2. How much distance do I need to cover to get from the launch to the fishing hole?
    3. Where do I plan to fish? Lakes, Rivers, Ocean?
    4. What is my budget?
    For instance, I fish almost exclusively offshore and have to cover great distances, 10+ miles. That is why I use a Hobie Revolution, with the mirage drive. It is a peddle drive system that allows you to maintain speeds of 4+ miles an hour. If I was looking at purchasing a Tarpon, I would get the 160. It's long and sleek and is built for speed.

Oh, and never buy a tandem for you and your wife. We call them divorce machines. LOL
    The Pride

I did some kayak fishing with a buddy. We hiked em in about a half mile or so to a small pond in the woods and I had some of the best bluegill fishing of my life. I like the portability of them and if I ever get one it will be lightweight for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
    Actually, we release the anchor that's tied to a buoy and allow the fish to drag you around. It's called a Texas Sleigh Ride. They tire out quickly dragging around my wide rear end. It's the six foot and larger bull, blacktip, and hammerhead sharks that are a problem. I've been pulled two miles down the beach by one. It's entirely too much fun. Hey Doug, in picking the right yak, there are a lot of things to take into consideration. While the Tarpon 120 is a good yak for ponds and small lakes, it has it limitations. The lonfger the kayak, the faster it will travel. In contrast, the wider the kayak, the more stable it will be. So the questions you need to answer are:
    1. How much do I weigh including my gear?
    2. How much distance do I need to cover to get from the launch to the fishing hole?
    3. Where do I plan to fish? Lakes, Rivers, Ocean?
    4. What is my budget?
    For instance, I fish almost exclusively offshore and have to cover great distances, 10+ miles. That is why I use a Hobie Revolution, with the mirage drive. It is a peddle drive system that allows you to maintain speeds of 4+ miles an hour. If I was looking at purchasing a Tarpon, I would get the 160. It's long and sleek and is built for speed.

Oh, and never buy a tandem for you and your wife. We call them divorce machines. LOL
    I do like the Hobie kayaks but they are out of the budget. I need to buy 2 of them, one for me to fish with and one for my wife to come along and bring the baby. Family trips will be more of a paddle out and enjoy being on the water and maybe fish a little. As for the answers to those great questions
    1. I weigh 200 and gear will probably be 60-80 lbs.
    2. Not sure, but I don't plan on going too far.
    3. Lakes almost exclusively. Maybe some small, calm rivers.
    4. Under $2k for both of them.

Kayak fishing is getting to be huge in Maine. There was a guy in Brunswick that caught 50 pike between 9 pm and 3 am. Fly-fishing is the way to go IMO, and it puts you high enough to keep the back cast out of the water. I use a canoe myself, hence the username, but will be getting a kayak for strippers in the river here in my area, and pond use for brookies. I don't know if I would attempt the baby thing.

I love kayak fishing!!... Its got to the point now where that is how I do majority of my fishing... I have a few different kayaks.... When I get home I will post a pic with 1 of them all rigged up, fishfinder and all!.. I was a big canoe guy... Then I got a kayak! Ever go for a "sleigh ride" with a big 8 lb. Smallmouth?.. You'll never wanna fish another way!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?" - Patrick Henry

A quest for knowledge is never complete.

The only easy day was yesterday.

Kayak fishing is one of the best kept secret, now the cats out of the bag. I've got a Wilderness Ride 135 it's 13.5 foot, not sure of the width I know its wider then most. Its wide enough that I'm able to stand in it. The weigh capacity is close to 500 lbs. I bought mine new for less than $800. I have added a depth finder, two rod holders, a compass and an after market seat. I've rigged it so a set of pulleys can be mounted on ether side of the yak to drop and raise the anchor, I'm also able to move the anchor from the front of the yak to the back with out having to move around in the yak. I have plenty of room in the hatches for a sea anchor, drag chain anchor, 150 of anchor rope and a regulator anchor. I've made a set of wheels for getting the yak to and from the water, although I'm able to carry it (weight is around fifty lbs). Rolling it makes things much easier for those long trips to get to water. I'm able to scuba dive of my yak. When I'm diving off my yak. I'm carrying my scuba tank (some times two tanks) with attacked back plate and regulator ,weighs, wet or dry suit, mask,fins and spear gun (50-60 lbs of weigh).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave

Face Fear With Knowledge

fear: is defined as an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat

Knowledge: is defined as (i) expertise, and skills acquired by a person through experience or education; the theoretical or practical understanding of a subject

Quote Originally Posted by Tipacanoe
    will be getting a kayak for strippers in the river here in my area
    If they are in the river then you can't see much. Probably makes pole dancing a lot easier, though.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Anyone had any experience with the Pelican Castaway 116 Kayak? Would this be a good beginer yak for the wife and I? I do like the price.

Quote Originally Posted by doug1980 View Post
    Anyone had any experience with the Pelican Castaway 116 Kayak? Would this be a good beginer yak for the wife and I? I do like the price.
    This is not a very good kayak. It is a two peice and has a welded seem around the middle that tends to crack and leak. For the same anount of money at the local sporting goods store you can usually pick up and Ocean Kayak Scrambler or Drifter. These are 10 times the kayak that the Pelicans are. I've known 2 different people that have actually had the Pelican start taking on water and sink to Davy Jones' Locker never to be seen again! Please DO NOT buy a Pelican kayak.
    The Pride

(FMR) Wilderness Guide pgvoutdoors's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I do some Kayak fishing on Lake Erie for Steelhead; primarily in the Fall and Spring when the Steelies are cruising closer to the shoreline to come into the rivers. It's a great experience, but it does take a bit to get use to. Once your comfortable in the kayak; you need to get everything organized to within arms reach. No getting up and moving about the boat. I own a Wilderness System touring kayak, they make very durable boats.
    "Just Get Out!"
    WildernessSkillsTrailhead.com

Considering the size and buoyancy of kayaks, would they handle big waves well? Say better than 16 or 20' boat?

I know we got out on Erie for some wally fishing in a 20 footer and it was a real rough ride getting out, slamming down on to wave after wave. I imagined it being better in a kayak.
    Last edited by rwc1969; 12-07-2010 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Hunter - Lots of names and variations for your type of boat. Around here they call those layout boats. They are used a lot for duck hunting. Very low profile and good carry capacity as well as being a stable craft. If I needed something for bugging out on water that would certainly be one option. Hard to see them on the water because they sit so low.

Another version:

Blog Entries

Yup I sure do. Best way to get around in the bayous bar none is the kayak. I designed and built this one not for fishing but for touring, however it is stable enough that I fish from it as well.

Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.

Looks like that one has a big hole in it?

LOL, just kidding, that just beautiful.........Thanks!

Yeah, Rick, cool little boat, says capacity 2 people, but I don't know, pretty low sides.

This is kinda like it, specs out about the same, couldn't find a pic of it of my own:http://duckboats.net.nmsrv.com/specs/images/hoefduckboat.jpg

I like it, as I can carry it about 60 pounds carries about 400 pounds (If I remember correctly), the 17 ft alum canoe weighs in at about 70 pounds, but carries 750 pounds.

I'm a river, stream, small lake, swamp, guy, heading out by myself or me and the dog.
    I find that both canoe and kayak (small duck boat) blow around pretty easy, even with the low sides and ends.

I do like space to spread out stuff and move around.
    As far as Kayaks go, hey, looks like fun, a way to get on the water, maybe be needing one (2?) myself...........One can never have too many boats, right?
    Last edited by hunter63; 12-07-2010 at 04:17 PM. Reason: added link

Blog Entries

It will be easy to paddle bro not like paddling a jon boat. you will be surprised how easy and fast you can travel as they are efficient craft
    Its the bits between birth and death that define a life well lived.