Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A rather unpleasant assessment.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default A rather unpleasant assessment.

Sounds like hell to me...............http://www.survivalblog.com/2010/11/...olicemans.html
    I would hope it is not this bad, it is something I know nothing about.

Scary isn't it.

Oldtrap
    Never claimed to be an expert. Just use or do what works for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oldtrap59 View Post
    Scary isn't it.

Oldtrap

Next to burning to death, it is my worse nightmare.

Any idea what he bases his assumptions on? While I don't totaly disagree with some of what he said, would just be curious where he gets his "facts" from. The title is "A Veteran Policeman's Observations ", just curious a veteran of where?
    Last edited by Pal334; 11-29-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Pal,

That is what I was thinking. Blanket arguments with no historically sited examples.

He doesn't site a single example. "This is worse than Mogadishu".

People lie. I had a guy try to buffalo folks around that he was a Master Sergeant in the US Navy SEALs. I did not serve. But, I called that arse onto the carpet for lying about his service.

We have had catastrophic storms before. But, the press is the worst part of a storm. LOL Lying dogs.

100 cases of looting after Andrew in an area of over 4 million affected people?

I look for actual regular people reports that can document their course of action.

SD, you're probably the last person who should worry about it. If they make it unscathed that far, we all back here are truly...you know...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BENESSE View Post
    SD, you're probably the last person who should worry about it. If they make it unscathed that far, we all back here are truly...you know...
    I guess I feel like I understand Grizzly Bears. I feel like I know when they are bluffing, and when it is a full out charge. But, if people showed up begging for help form Los Anchorage, I could be fatally snookered, or equally worse killing humans that did not need killing. I just hope I am gone before the SHTF.

They are still prosecuting people from Katrina. Was worse than the news put on. Not sure I would go back except for family or friends. Know that I am supposed to but the sights, sounds and smells tend to stay with you. Kinda lets you on human nature a bit. Multiply it out by a region or a nation. Kinda hard to wrap ones mind around it. Maybe God will see fit for this to pass us by. That being said I would rather have it now on my head that fully on my children and grandchildren.

you and me too Sourdough.

I've never been able to read one of those survivalblogs. Native Dudes posts are better.

The human element is one single thing that gives me pause when I think of various SHTF scenarios. For that, one is truly never prepared, I don't care how stocked up or fortified you are. Having a military or LE background helps but that only goes so far. As SD points out there are emotional aspects that can compound an already difficult predicament. I too hope I don't have to test my mettle the extreme way.

Article didn't make a lot of sense to me either, ( course the TV guide confuses me LOL) But It seems to me from talking to a lot of non-preppers as well as a few preppers. The overall mentality when TSHTF for most people are to GOOD ( get out of dodge) If I had a dollar for everyone I've heard say "I'm heading for the hills, national forest, country," whatever I could buy a whole lot more land thats available next to "the retreat" then just have everybody here move on down/up/over and start a community of our own so well be okay when it hits.

IMO when it hits most of these unprepared, untrained, idgits will be to scared to go anywhwre. Again IMHO most of the hype is by the press to sell more papers or network ratings. Course what do I know?
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.

Well, I read somewhere that the average US household has enough food stored for 9 meals. If there is no gas or diesel to restock grocery stores, that gives ya 3 days give or take to fortify before the rioting starts. During and after the riots, the refugees fleeing the big cities will consume all natural resources in their path. Scary thought. It only took 24 hours after Katrina struck New Orleans for all hell to break loose.

Dang, I guess I need to go re-evaluate my priorities again.
    The Pride

We (that is the general as in the USA we) are soft and so used to having it our way when we want it, that any disruption will make people irritable. Add to that how many people are on mood altering drugs things will get crazy when their drugs run out.
    I know what hunts you.

I've made friends with the badest, burnt out combat vets around by sharing my knowledge with them and inturn they with me. My preps are sufficient for several families and they and thier families will be the ones protecting my food and me too. I'm the golden goose that has no problem gathering food or living off the land. These guys freak out my family up north and don't want them around and why going north is plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by ClovisMan View Post
    Well, I read somewhere that the average US household has enough food stored for 9 meals. If there is no gas or diesel to restock grocery stores, that gives ya 3 days give or take to fortify before the rioting starts. During and after the riots, the refugees fleeing the big cities will consume all natural resources in their path. Scary thought. It only took 24 hours after Katrina struck New Orleans for all hell to break loose.

Dang, I guess I need to go re-evaluate my priorities again.
    During and after Hurricane Ivan (2004 in western FL), although the damage was similar with much less population to Katrina, we didn't have much of a problem with that kind of thing. People either evacuated or were quite prepared. As a County EM Director, I knew I wouldn't be home for days; just had a whole-home propane generator installed; it ran non-stop until about four hours before power was restored (four days +). Lessons learned from Erin and Opal in '95. Different demographics?
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Once again......look at the worst situations that we've faced and you simply don't see any of what he's talking about.

Little Ice Age
    New Madrid Earthquake
    Great Chicago Fire
    Depression
    Dust Bowl
    Alaska Tsunami and Earthquake
    1974 Super Tornado Outbreak
    East Coast Blackout
    1999 Super Tornado Outbreak
    911 Attack
    New Orleans Hurricane

Pick any SHTF situation you want and none of what he said has happened. Did some bad things happen? Sure. They always will but it certainly isn't the rampaging hordes he makes it out to be. As I've said before...There are dangerous areas of the city today. I avoid them. I will avoid them post disaster as well. Predators tend to hunt within their territory, you know that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Yup, I totally agree, Rick. At the moment, the UK has lots and lots of snow(except me, dang it!), many comunities are cut off, food deliveries are not getting through and the power is intermittent, but I don't see any rioting or mobs in the streets. Once this snow melts, there's going to be an awful lot of flooding too. I doubt there'll be any rioting then either.
    Recession; A period when you go without something your Grandparents never heard of.

I don't understand why folks think there will be roving armies of ne'er-do-wells. If you leave where you are then you are heading off with some destination in mind. This is just my opinion but it seems to me that bad folks have an area they operate in. They operate where they feel safe. If something bad happens they aren't going to pillage their way across town for bread. They'll look in the immediate area for it. It's much easier to take it away from someone next door or across the street than it is to travel blocks or miles with no assurance they will find it.

I'm not naive enough to think that if our paths crossed I wouldn't be in extreme danger but I don't see them traveling well out of their territory to loot. If they do then I think they will have targets in mind. Warehouses, rail yards, trucking terminals, that kind of thing.

At least that's the way I see it. We are animals no less than bears or wolves and our instinct and territorial requirements are much the same. (Sorry for insulting bears and wolves).
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I don't understand why folks think there will be roving armies of ne'er-do-wells. If you leave where you are then you are heading off with some destination in mind. This is just my opinion but it seems to me that bad folks have an area they operate in. They operate where they feel safe. If something bad happens they aren't going to pillage their way across town for bread. They'll look in the immediate area for it. It's much easier to take it away from someone next door or across the street than it is to travel blocks or miles with no assurance they will find it.

I'm not naive enough to think that if our paths crossed I wouldn't be in extreme danger but I don't see them traveling well out of their territory to loot. If they do then I think they will have targets in mind. Warehouses, rail yards, trucking terminals, that kind of thing.

At least that's the way I see it. We are animals no less than bears or wolves and our instinct and territorial requirements are much the same. (Sorry for insulting bears and wolves).
    I have never seen a real Section 8 Housing Project, But from movies I've seen it looks like the large projects must have thousands and thousands of people living in them. Sorry, but there is just something about thousands of hungry or displaced humans that frightens me.